Merging World Class and Open Class

How about this?: Merge away.....then create Tier winners....hell, tier battles go on anyway. Why not split World Class in two, and have two medal rounds! I know Open vs World is the same thing...but having 12 competitors in a category pits a narrower group of corps in a fight for the top all season..and makes the medals not so #### far away for some corps. Like we celebrate a corps making finals...we could actually have four such groupings. Excuse me now, I'm running for the sandbag bunker, avoiding the dino spital about to be heaped on me! :peek:

I can understand why some people would want to make this happen, merging World and Open Class. But personally, I think they should stay seperate. Like someone already said, it'll make a victory more reachable for the Open Class corps. If they merge, sure the very upper level of Open might have a chance in a few years, but that'll leave behind everyone else. So I think Open and World should stay seperate. :satisfied:

• Like 1

How about this?: Merge away.....then create Tier winners....hell, tier battles go on anyway. Why not split World Class in two, and have two medal rounds! I know Open vs World is the same thing...but having 12 competitors in a category pits a narrower group of corps in a fight for the top all season..and makes the medals not so #### far away for some corps. Like we celebrate a corps making finals...we could actually have four such groupings. Excuse me now, I'm running for the sandbag bunker, avoiding the dino spital about to be heaped on me! :peek:

I'm just curious, Plan, give me your best guess: How many fans do you think would come out and pay, say $20, to see the battle between the 13th- and 17th-placing corps?

And to give you a hint, we had about 3300 come to see our show of 7 corps, headlined by BD and anchored by Oregon Crusaders. On July 31st.

I am extremely ambivalent. In some ways: genius - similar to english football's relegation process. However, in the free agent/predatory state today, it is in the 8's best interest to have tomorrow's talent pool trained at the world class level today. Today's 13 to 18 model actually best serves to give the 8 the best future membership which I fear would be lost in the new model as the "lesser" circuits become less lucrative, less stable, and less appealing to future membership which in turn impacts the 8 anyhow.

I am extremely ambivalent. In some ways: genius - similar to english football's relegation process. However, in the free agent/predatory state today, it is in the 8's best interest to have tomorrow's talent pool trained at the world class level today. Today's 13 to 18 model actually best serves to give the 8 the best future membership which I fear would be lost in the new model as the "lesser" circuits become less lucrative, less stable, and less appealing to future membership which in turn impacts the 8 anyhow.

So there has to be a commitment by the 8 to support and incubate the others?

Help grow their own competition?

The merger should happen sooner rather than later.

In a perfect world, two divisions is ideal. However, it's not a perfect world. There were 13 Open Class Corps that actually made it to LOS this year. We lost one World Class corps, but did you realize we *lost 5 Open class corps from Championships: Forte (gone forever); Racine Scouts; VK, Thunder, and Revolution. "Lost" meaning not that they ceased operations necessarily, but that they were on the schedule to make it to LOS and didn't.

14 corps does not a class make. I'd propose merging, but also pay any appearing corps an appearance fee. It never made sense to me that Open Class corps don't get paid appearance fees when they're on the schedule. Since we now take 25 for semis, there should still be strong competition for those final few semis spots.

It makes more competitive sense to have 36 corps vying for 25 spots, than 21 vying for 25 spots (# of World Corps vs # of World Semis spots) or 14 corps vying for 12 Open Finals spots. I like Open Class. It's been a good competitive class. However, since the #s have dwindled, better to merge them (AND pay them for performing).

Edited by wolfgang

I like the system as it works now. Leave World Class as World Class, keep Open Class as it is, and perhaps create a Class B level to encourage new corps to develop and non-competitive corps to return to the competition arena. Corps have to have a level playing field in competition, at least some of the time to benefit from what competition has to offer. Competing against similar sized corps with similar abilities helps a corps grow in confidence and make steady improvements. If we look at an example, Music City will learn a lot more about what they need to do to improve when they compete against, say 7th Regiment or Spartans than if they compete against Carolina Crown and Phantom Regiment. At the end of the season, let everyone compete as is the case now. Then Open Class corps will know how they fare against larger corps, and as we saw this season, some will be pleased with the results.

• Like 1