Star of Indiana - 1992

At the time, this show seemed to be the red-headed stepchild of show design and I have not seen it mentioned much here. Let's talk about this show. Do people look back on it positively or is it still bane?

I loved it then and I love it now

1992 Star of Indiana should have walked away that week in first place all three nights, with a second championship. Their "execution" that night was far and away much more crisp and cleaner than the Cavaliers.

Everything about this show screamed championship, yet they wound up third.

Geoffrey

:worthy:

Yup, that is how I remember it too, and very much recall the reactions over the three final days in Madison. The cheering for them in 3rd at finals was awful. Pretty similar to how Bill Cook remembers it too, on the Star website:

"For Jim, 1992 was a pivotal year because the show was designed for a broad audience appeal and the result was a hostile crowd. At that time, he decided to explore different directions. His frustrations led him to the 1993 Medea program because he wanted to give the organization a vehicle where they would be in control of their performance from beginning to end.

Looking back at Medea, there were no opportunities for the audience to react until the show was over. This concept made some of the audience uncomfortable and created even more controversy. I guess that was Jim's vengeance. Also at that time, he began to contemplate doing something other than drum corps with the Star of Indiana. Perhaps the seed of Brass Theater was planted during this period."

I know there was Star resentment, but in 92, it came across as tho there was a ton of Cavies love because finally they could possibly do it.

I was at a show in 1992 when the corps was booed after being announced in first place. I don't remember what show that was at, but I remembered thinking something like, "Wow...A corps is booed for winning while playing a patriotic show. This is a tough audience."

There are parts of the country where Patriotism is not so strong. In Boston, Star got a standing ovation at the Beverly, Ma show in 1992. The crowd in Boston region loved them there. I was there. They won the show, beating the Boston Crusaders by over 20 points. So the" hate " for 1992 Star of Indiana must have been in other regions of the country, Michael for whatever reasons. That might explain why we did not see this hate for Star in the New England region ( 93 Star did not come to New England for any shows this year that I'm aware of. )

Mason loves all audiences.... DCI or otherwise. He wrote the Star of Indiana music, ( including 92,93 ) and I'm glad he is back after" BLAST" and writing terrific fan friendly music now with the Madison Scouts.

Edited by BRASSO

Geoffrey

Everything except percussion.

1992 Star of Indiana should have walked away that week in first place all three nights, with a second championship. Their "execution" that night was far and away much more crisp and cleaner than the Cavaliers.

Geoffrey

People I talked to who attended finals (and toured with them) said this was the most "complete" show-from a design and execution standpoint- they saw. Not my favorite Star show but one I definitely like and appreciate.

CM

I think Star 92's horn line is still the best of all time! The nuance and control that they had with those crappy 2-valve bugles is insane....and the sound was just incredible. I agree that they should have won but I can understand how they didnt.

Their show was quite clean EXCEPT for that part during one of their drum breaks where the hornline forms a serpentine line and the guard passes through them. That set/manuever was beyond dirty, and how, I don't know as they basically did the same set in their '91 show but they were able to clean it (I would say that visually a lot of things were taken from the '91 show).

Could that set alone have costs them the championship? It is arguable, but 3rd place behind a very strong but somewhat sterile Cadets show, I still can't buy.

The notion that Jim Mason would purposely write a show in 93 to tick off the fans is just too funny for words. Anybody that knows Jim knows that he doesn't write musical scores to " tick off audiences " because of perceived ills in a previous year. ...

The notion that you think Jim Mason ever wrote a brass book for Star too funny for words.

• Like 2

Mason loves all audiences.... DCI or otherwise. He wrote the Star of Indiana music, ( including 92,93 ) and I'm glad he is back after" BLAST" and writing terrific fan friendly music now with the Madison Scouts.

_sigh_

When you post stuff like this with such intense authority, it tends to make one disregard your entire content. Jim Mason did not "write Star of Indiana music" in 92, in 93 ... or ever. You post as if you understood Mason's intentions and motivations, yet you don't even know his role. :doh:

• Like 1

Everything except percussion.

and the guard...they were horrible and cheesy that year. But what a change in '93 !!!

Also - we toured with them alot in '92. People did not care for Star at all. There were loud boos at most shows!!!

Later,

Mike