Star of Indiana - 1992

Everything except percussion.

You know, I respectfully disagree here. Although the link is for semis, the perc program, to my ears, was of higher quality than scored. Really good stuff. I loved this program then, and I love it now. I really appreciated them hanging with the mylar (Premier Marathons, FTW!). It's barely audible, but right around 5:02 you hear a "flawless, snares." Sums up my thoughts for the most part for that line that year.

92 was percussion is under-rated. They were getting very close to achieving the quality of sound mastered by the 93 line. Snares were great. Tenors had their moments. Bass line was really good as well. Pit was rock solid. They just didn't have the consistent mastery across all sections. As lauded as the 91 line was, I enjoyed this line more. 91 writing was percussive and musical and did a great job at exhibiting their strengths and hiding their weaknesses. 92, they weren't trying to hide anything, and that hurt them.

• Like 2

I mean, they tied for 2nd in drums finals night, and that was while they "bagged" on the field with a 9.4 (good enough for only 5th on the field). So was the story with 92 Star percussion. Young, not as experienced, and not 100% "on" every night. But when they were, like semis, it was great stuff.

Edited by mingusmonk

92 was percussion is under-rated. They were getting very close to achieving the quality of sound mastered by the 93 line. Snares were great. Tenors had their moments. Bass line was really good as well. Pit was rock solid. They just didn't have the consistent mastery across all sections. As lauded as the 91 line was, I enjoyed this line more. 91 writing was percussive and musical and did a great job at exhibiting their strengths and hiding their weaknesses. 92, they weren't trying to hide anything, and that hurt them.

The progression from 90 to 93 in Star's percussion is awesome. From an overall musical perspective, that four year stretch ranks at the top for me. Interesting that this thread popped up, as I have revisited these shows (and especially 93) in the last weeks. I appreciate more and more 93 with each passing year. Great products. It's all too ironic that 93 ended with Medea snapping her kids' necks and Cook pulling the plug on Star as a DCI entity. They will be remembered as much for what could have been as much as they will be for what they achieved.

I've lived in Indiana since I was four years old and entered drum corps in '85 when I joined 27th Lancers on tour. Hardly a day went by when I didn't get asked "Why didn't you march Star?" The truth is at the time I wanted to march Phantom, but after two camps chickened out. Then, watching 27th rehearse at my high school I learned they needed a french horn player. One of the brass instructors gave me a horn and asked if I could play a scale. Then they threw me in the line for rehearsal. After that, I went home, packed my bag, and I was off.

I can tell you there was a lot of resentment toward Star because of the cash, and doubly so because we came in 13th. When Star played the Mickey Mouse theme in their show, we'd be off to the side singing "M-I-C K-E-Y M-O-N-E-Y".

Anywho, I think Star was seen as somewhat of a lightweight throughout their first few seasons, as they wandered around trying to find their voice. (Disney, Star Wars, circus) I began to soften toward them in '88 with the Porgy and Bess show, and liked their performance in '89 with the british band stuff, but I was still critical that they were all over the place year over year.

That all changed in 1990. THAT was a cool show. THAT was unique. That was when I felt Star turned the corner from a bunch of talented bandos with money to serious, creative drum corps.

Then came 1991 - WOW. I mean WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW. In my eyes, that is the high watermark for "80s" style drum corps. It was also the year I watched an entire show with Bill Cook.

At Madison for DCI Midwest, Bill came walking up the stadium wearing a toga, purple sash and an olive garland in his Prince Valiant wig. It was a great gag (Zingali later said to me "If you're a billionaire, you can pretty much do whatever you want. WAAAHHHHH!)

He and his wife were looking around for seats, and I said "Hey, Ceasar, why don't you come sit here?" So, they came over and sat next to my mother and I. He took off the costume, which Mrs. Cook put into a 27th Lancers gym bag. "I'll always have a special place for them in my heart," she explained. Bill was wearing a simple shirt, cheap polyester slacks and kept his Kent cigarettes tucked into his black socks. I don't think one could be more down to earth.

And both of them were on their feet cheering loudly for every single corps. Star came on and, of course, absolutely blew me away. I told Bill that was the greatest drum corps show I've ever seen. He was gracious, but also expressed his concern that the corps wasn't entertaining the audience as much as they could.

At the end of the show, we shook hands as I thanked him for everything he'd ever done for drum corps. His response was something along the line of "aw shucks". From then on, I felt bad about ever resenting Star and what they did. Drum corps has never had a better friend than Bill Cook.

I think the drum corps cognoscenti looked at the '92 show as a reversion to the Star of old. That, combined with the lingering resentment over the money, was what probably had some fans looking for any excuse to sneer at them. After my experience with Bill Cook in '91, though, I wasn't one of them.

Edited by StuStu
  • Like 7

I've lived in Indiana since I was four years old and entered drum corps in '85 when I joined 27th Lancers on tour. Hardly a day went by when I didn't get asked "Why didn't you march Star?" The truth is at the time I wanted to march Phantom, but after two camps chickened out. Then, watching 27th rehearse at my high school I learned they needed a french horn player. One of the brass instructors gave me a horn and asked if I could play a scale. Then they threw me in the line for rehearsal. After that, I went home, packed my bag, and I was off.

I can tell you there was a lot of resentment toward Star because of the cash, and doubly so because we came in 13th. When Star played the Mickey Mouse theme in their show, we'd be off to the side singing "M-I-C K-E-Y M-O-N-E-Y".

Anywho, I think Star was seen as somewhat of a lightweight throughout their first few seasons, as they wandered around trying to find their voice. (Disney, Star Wars, circus) I began to soften toward them in '88 with the Porgy and Bess show, and liked their performance in '89 with the british band stuff, but I was still critical that they were all over the place year over year.

That all changed in 1990. THAT was a cool show. THAT was unique. That was when I felt Star turned the corner from a bunch of talented bandos with money to serious, creative drum corps.

Then came 1991 - WOW. I mean WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW. In my eyes, that is the high watermark for "80s" style drum corps. It was also the year I watched an entire show with Bill Cook.

At Madison for DCI Midwest, Bill came walking up the stadium wearing a toga, purple sash and an olive garland in his Prince Valiant wig. It was a great gag (Zingali later said to me "If you're a billionaire, you can pretty much do whatever you want. WAAAHHHHH!)

He and his wife were looking around for seats, and I said "Hey, Ceasar, why don't you come sit here?" So, they came over and sat next to my mother and I. He took off the costume, which Mrs. Cook put into a 27th Lancers gym bag. "I'll always have a special place for them in my heart," she explained. Bill was wearing a simple shirt, cheap polyester slacks and kept his Kent cigarettes tucked into his black socks. I don't think one could be more down to earth.

And both of them were on their feet cheering loudly for every single corps. Star came on and, of course, absolutely blew me away. I told Bill that was the greatest drum corps show I've ever seen. He was gracious, but also expressed his concern that the corps wasn't entertaining the audience as much as they could.

At the end of the show, we shook hands as I thanked him for everything he'd ever done for drum corps. His response was something along the line of "aw shucks". From then on, I felt bad about ever resenting Star and what they did. Drum corps has never had a better friend than Bill Cook.

I think the drum corps cognoscenti looked at the '92 show as a reversion to the Star of old. That, combined with the lingering resentment over the money, was what probably had some fans looking for any excuse to sneer at them. After my experience with Bill Cook in '91, though, I wasn't one of them.

awesome story.. we all have some of those stories that linger from different corps leaders that touched us in ways that we never thought. I had a similar experience with Gail Royer and what these stories ALL seem to have in common is. HUMBLE and wanting the kids to have fun and entertaining the crowd. That was a major priority of those leaders that lasted up til the early 90s. There was a major change in the guard at that point in time.

It was also the year I watched an entire show with Bill Cook.

Great story. A good friend of mine worked for Cook (friend is biomedical engineer), and the Bill Cook at work was very highly regarded from my friend's experiences--the day Mr. Cook died, my friend reacted as if Mr. Cook were a family member.

When I ran into Mason at the airport prior to the 92 season, he gleefully told me about the plan for the program. He was giddy about the fact that "everyone loves a patriotic show" and predicted that veterans, adults, children, pets - everyone would love it.

After the wonderful (my favorite) 1990 show and the terrific 1991 show, this was just such a step backwards in terms of visual design and overall concept. All Star people will tell you the 1992 hornline was the best (I agree), but it just look and felt like the world's best HS band patriotic show. Terrific talent in the corps and gorgeous brass charts, in particular, but just not a great package.

The pandering plan of Mason did not result in "everyone loving" the corps. The boos continued, even with a patriotic show.

Kind of got the same vibe from Cadets this year. The Christmas concept just seemed to forced and cheesy, and was an unfortunate package for a very talented group of kids.

I really enjoyed Star's show in 92 at Finals. The ballad, in particular, was one of the best ever, I think. The hornline was sublime, drill difficult & effective, and the drum line was solid. The guard, though, was not great (Star never really had a top tier guard until 93).

I do think 2 things were going on - resentment from other top tier corps & their alumni, and a groundswell of support especially for Cavaliers since they had not yet won. Also, Cadets show that year, to see live, was not sterile at all - it was highly engaging, emotional & entertaining.

Here's a great example of the resentment - When Star unveiled that huge Statue of Liberty banner at the end of the show, a friend of mine who taught guard for one of the traditional big six said "good God, why don't they just raise a giant banner of a gold AMEX card?" That was the type of resentment that was there amongst the other top corps as a new player, with deep pockets, shook up the competitive rankings.

Harvey