Cassette recordings from the stands vs. DCI professional audio.

I love being able to listen to the corps warm ups & the drum lines playing the corps off. BITD drum lines didnt merely march off the field to quarter notes on a base drum. The drum lines would play a full street beat off the field.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I loved those street beats. Can't remember which year, but in one of those years, they changed the rules so the corps could only play bass drum beats off the field. So Fred Sanford wrote an elaborate and really cool full cadence for the bass line. Which, of course, they play to this very day, and is now one of their traditions. Leave it to SCV! :worthy: And I remember on my 1978 SOA tape, the entire corps whistling Dixie as they entered the stadium! :thumbup:

The single most important factor in recording is not the quality of the gear, but the position of the microphone. A $2K mic in the wrong spot will produce an inferior recording to a Radio Shack special in the right place. If you were in a good seat, your recording will sound like a million bucks, except perhaps for the level of crowd noise.

Two things:

1. In the '70s there was no pit. Brass and battery were unobstructed and clarity enhanced.

2. Average shelf life for audio tape is about 25 years unless it is kept in optimal, climate controlled conditions. The ferrous oxide will begin to flake off and the pvc will stretch. If you have any of this material, digitize it asap. And don't forget to clean the tape player heads beforehand.

• Like 1

... Average shelf life for audio tape is about 25 years unless it is kept in optimal, climate controlled conditions. The ferrous oxide will begin to flake off and the pvc will stretch. If you have any of this material, digitize it asap. And don't forget to clean the tape player heads beforehand.

Yup ... had that happen to several of my reel-to-reel tapes of shows and rehearsals ... lost some priceless stuff of Sasso and Dreitzer holding court with the Bpt. PAL ... you and the whole LI crew may have been on a few of them Frank ... LOL ... I had some of Genero teaching St. Raphael's as well ... now they're all in a landfill somewhere ... oh well ...

:-)

The single most important factor in recording is not the quality of the gear, but the position of the microphone. A $2K mic in the wrong spot will produce an inferior recording to a Radio Shack special in the right place. If you were in a good seat, your recording will sound like a million bucks, except perhaps for the level of crowd noise.

snip

1. In the '70s there was no pit. Brass and battery were unobstructed and clarity enhanced.

snip

I love this recording made from the stands - 1976 Stillwater Drum Beauty - Concord BD. This is night #2 of Drum Beauty...I think the horns cut loose a little more than on the first night. Be sure to use ear/headphones to enjoy the clarity, emotion, and intensity....and a few errors, but hey..it is organic!!

Since I only had audio, I had to quickly add a slide show. Hope you like snares, cuz that's all I could grab quickly. Anyway - Frank, You probably don't remember me since I wasn't in the hornline, but I think you'll like this. I enjoy it mostly because I never got a chance to stand in front of the horn arc, but this is how I always imagined it sounded.

• Like 2

In 2004 I found 2 of my cassette tapes of 1977 recordings. They were in a box in my unheated garage. We have 6 months of winter which may have preserved the cassettes. Tape 1 was digitized in 2004, tape 2 was digitized in 2012 and tape 3 was recently sent to me from one of the ladies.

Tape 1 was recorded either at Nijkerk August 6, 1977 (rainy cloudy day) or IJmuiden August 8, 1977 (rain in the am, muggy pm). The cassette is Maxwell UD 90. The performance was a field show, about 25 minutes long, including 2 concerts, drum solo and street beat and a very good performance I might add.

Tape 2 was recorded at Deal Castle on July 27, 1977. The cassette is BASF LH SM Cassette 60. The condensed 12 minute standstill performance was the 4th of the day, the weather was misty and we were tired. The person recording us that day may have aimed the built in microphone, on my hand held Sony cassette player, near the baritone line. At one point you can hear the baris blowing spit out of the horns between songs lol

Tape 3 was recorded in Kassel on August 22, 1977 (cool and misty day). The performance was on the steps of City Hall (Rathaus). One of the ladies received a cassette decades ago from a man from Germany who recorded that day. She digitized the cassette in 2012. The recording is rough but the ladies’ performance improvement is notable.

I also found a half dozen winter guard judge tapes from practice, trial and contest tapes on various cassette types such as BASF LH-XI60, SONY UCX-S 60 and SONY LNX 46 (too funny hearing myself lol) I listened to the original Tape 1 (Maxwell UD 90) on my 1 year old TEAC yesterday. After 35 years, it sounds good as new. I’m a lucky lady!

I love this recording made from the stands - 1976 Stillwater Drum Beauty - Concord BD. This is night #2 of Drum Beauty...I think the horns cut loose a little more than on the first night. Be sure to use ear/headphones to enjoy the clarity, emotion, and intensity....and a few errors, but hey..it is organic!!

Since I only had audio, I had to quickly add a slide show. Hope you like snares, cuz that's all I could grab quickly. Anyway - Frank, You probably don't remember me since I wasn't in the hornline, but I think you'll like this. I enjoy it mostly because I never got a chance to stand in front of the horn arc, but this is how I always imagined it sounded.

I toured with Dutch Boy Cadets early July 1976 and marched with Oakland Crusaders as spare guard the remainder of 1976. I saw BD alot that summer at rehearsals and contests. You made an old lady happy :D Thanks so much for this recording! :thumbup:

• Like 1

I toured with Dutch Boy Cadets early July 1976 and marched with Oakland Crusaders as spare guard the remainder of 1976. I saw BD alot that summer at rehearsals and contests. You made an old lady happy :D Thanks so much for this recording! :thumbup:

I was in Edmonton for a while teaching the 1st Canadian Regiment. Being from Calif of course I knew nothing of hockey. I grew to love it -- and got to see Gretzky play. amazing.

You can probably hear me cheering on that recording. The Blue Devils spent quite a few days in Stillwater that year, and I was there literally every second.

They polished their show into the championship model it became during those long practice days in Minnesota.

It was that week that I met a young soprano player.......oh yeah, it was Dave Gibbs (now director). Also became friends with guard member Lee Doebler, who also won 4 DCI Championship titles.

We continued as pen pals for another 6 years. Had great visits with Jerry Seawright, and saw how the corps loved teasing Bonnie Ott.

• Like 1

marched with Oakland Crusaders as spare guard the remainder of 1976.

Linda,

I'll never forget the '76 Oakland Crusaders. Since we were talking about Stillwater, the Crusaders were there, and then went to Whitewater the next day.

They had a terrible breakdown in their opener (Swan Lake) at Whitewater finals. One side was literally a full measure ahead of the other side.

I couldn't believe I was seeing (and hearing) that in such a great corps, in the month of August.

I did record Stillwater and Whitewater in '76, but those have long disappeared.

Edited by Northern Thunder

I was in Edmonton for a while teaching the 1st Canadian Regiment. Being from Calif of course I knew nothing of hockey. I grew to love it -- and got to see Gretzky play. amazing.

Cool; small world. I’ve followed Wayne Gretzky’s career since 1979. I heard DeLaSalle Oaklands play Channel One Suite many times at rehearsals and contests from 1971-1974. It was a treat to hear and see Blue Devils perform it in 1976. Your audio brought back a lot of good memories. I also got to see Chuck Mangione live in Toronto many times early 1970’s and was a fan. Double treat to hear BD play Chase the Clouds Away.

Last year I was given a DVD of a 2 hour local television show featuring our 1982 winter guard championships at which I attended as an audience member. 1st Canadian Regiment winter guard are on the DVD and guess what music they performed to? ‘Backwards Sidemen’, ‘For Your Eyes Only’ and ‘Channel One Suite’ by Buddy Rich … and I went to 2 guard shows spring of 2012; saw Kim, GC and DM for 1st Canadian Regiment in the early 80’s and her husband marched with Blue Devils in 1982. Small world indeed!