Annapolis

I moved to Annapolis shortly after my season with the Cabs and I haven't been able to make it to a finals since. I could not be more excited for DCAs to be in Annapolis this year!

Lots of good suggestions so far, but I have just a few more.

-If you have a hankering for something excellent but cheap, or if you need takeout, go to Carlson's Thai and Donuts on West St. It's a crazy combination, but their food is awesome and a lot cheaper than most of what you can get downtown.

-I also need to put in a plug for my own neighborhood, Eastport. We are right accross the drawbridge from downtown and we have a bunch of great places--Lewnes Steakhouse for anybody who wants to get fancy, great happy hour deals at the Rockfish, and two really great bar/restaraunts in Davis's Pub and the Boatyard Bar and Grill. Davis's is mostly bar, but will sell you some really great appetizers and a burger, and it has a really great outdoor area near a marina. Boatyard has a really wonderful ambiance and great, mostly inexpensive food.

-Downtown my favorites are Joss (pricey but great sushi) and Galway Bay (reasonable, really solid irish food with a nice bar area).

-If you don't mind a short drive and you want to get REAL Maryland-y, head up to Cantler's for some steamed crabs. It's tucked away in a neighborhood about 10 or 15 minutes north of downtown, and they have a gorgeous deck for you to just break into a pile of crabs.

If anyone has specific questions I'd be happy to field them.

• Like 1

I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT CANTLER'S!!!!! Best all-you-can-eat crabs in the state of Maryland.

Jeff

Ha, I went for a walk from my house to Main St last night and kept seeing places I forgot to mention! Seriously, just walk around downtown when you're here. It's the greatest. Here are directons for Cantler's: http://www.cantlers.com/directions/ Will provide crab-opening lessons if you buy me 6 crabs. :)

If you need a date night or want to catch up with your buddies over a couple of bottles of wine instead of beers, come on over to Vin 909. They have a good, easy to navigate, super reasonably priced wine list and AMAZING fancy pizza that is also pretty inexpensive. They also have lovely outdoor seating.

If you're staying out west of town, there's a great place at the Annapolis Mall called Punk's Backyard Grill. It was recently named one of the best cheap eats in the country by some random publication.

I also wanted to mention something about brunch--the restaraunts here are CRAZY for brunch! This means that there are tons and tons of options and lots of great deals, but it is also busy. Like, if you want to go to Chick and Ruth's for brunch, schedule in some wait time for yourself.

If anyone has specific questions I'd be happy to field them.

Maybe Jeff or you can help..

Is there on street parking down near the Dock area and if so is it metered.

What is the price and time period (free weekends?, after 6PM? etc) you have to pay.

Thanks this has been a very helpfull topic.....

Question, if parking in the downtown area do they have those new fangled parking meters where you can plug in the parking space number and pay by credit or debit card? Or do we need to bring quarters?

:lookaround:

Question, if parking in the downtown area do they have those new fangled parking meters where you can plug in the parking space number and pay by credit or debit card? Or do we need to bring quarters?

:lookaround:

Wow ... the more I'm reading all these useful "requests for info" the more I'm thinking the local Chamber of Commerce should offer up an Annapolis Information Packet if one isn't available already ...

Here's a Visitor's site I found online ... maybe they can provide some answers:

Visit Annapolis

Y'all have a good time in the gateway to Dixie ...

:-)

There is a very convenient and reasonably priced parking garage on Gorman St. that is only a block from City Dock. You can't see it from the main stretch of the dock, so many visitors don't know about it. I recommend parking there, especially for the Thursday night "DCA at the Dock" event.

The city is running free shuttles from the stadium to downtown all weekend, so if you're trying to get around after paying to park at the stadium, that's the way to go. The shuttles are called "E-Cruzers" and look like big yellow golf carts. The rides are free, but the drivers accept tips.

There is also the Annapolis "Circulator" trolley that runs 10 minute stops between four of the downtown parking garages and City Dock. So you could park at any of these parking garages (Noah Hillman Parking Garage – 150 Gorman Street, Gotts Court Parking Garage – 25 Northwest Street, Knighton Parking Garage – 1A Colonial Avenue, Park Place - 5 Park Place) and catch a free ride to City Dock.

In the event that the parking meters are running on the dock (I am not sure if they run on weekends), they have both types. The ones nearest the stage where the "DCA at the Dock" concerts are the ones that you swipe a credit card, take the receipt, and put it in your windshield. The meters that are elsewhere around the dock are coin fed.

Cantler's is tricky to find, but SOOOOOOO worth the search. Here is their website (http://www.cantlers.com) and here is a Google maps link... (http://goo.gl/maps/4NQe9)

Hope that helps!

Jeff

Oh, parking. Ok, this is not my strong suit since I live within walking distance of downtown, but there are several options.

The first is street parking. There is street parking throughout the city. On main street and at city dock it is metered. I believe that the meters take quarters but I am not sure. Other streets have on-street parking that is free. Availability of all of this is iffy, especially on a holiday weekend with all of us in town.

There are also several reasonably priced parking garages downtown. The one closest to city dock is on your first left if you're going up main street (main st is one way). Prices vary based on day of the week and garage but tend to be reasonable (I think they max out at $2/hr).