scranton-georgia-minnisota

Interesting take John. I was about three rows higher and on the 40, and I did have the order exactly what it was. Thought Hurcs beat Empire tonight, felt Empire was flat. I, too, did think scores were low across the board. Thought Cabs would be closer to Reading. Cadets2 is still visually a mess, and I don't hear the brass in most of the opener due to the powerful pit. Had Cadets2 been announced in something other than 5th, I wouldn't have been shocked, but I thought they were a solid 5th, no dues necessary. Think they could get close to Empire or Hurcs in 2 weeks, but add Renegades and Kidsgrove into the mix and Minnesota, and it gets pretty jumbled. There will be corps getting scores lower than they deserve just because of the talent level of 7 or 8 corps and numbers have to be managed.

Interesting results at Scranton.

From John Adcocks's Twitter observations:

"John Adcock ‏@loudbrass

Gonna be honest. If Cadets2 don't beat Hurcs by a couple points, there is something seriously wrong. #dca "

Buccaneers-92.95

Caballeros-89.6

Hurricanes-87.65

Empire-86.85

Cadets2-84.0

FusionCore-81.75

I usually trust John's observations. Any thoughts??

My "thoughts "say this fellow harbors a distain for the Hurcs or a bias favoring C2.

• Like 1

Had Cadets2 been announced in something other than 5th, I wouldn't have been shocked, but I thought they were a solid 5th, no dues necessary. Think they could get close to Empire or Hurcs in 2 weeks, but add Renegades and Kidsgrove into the mix and Minnesota, and it gets pretty jumbled.

Take a look at the percussion scores and tell me "no dues necessary"...I beg to disagree.

IMO, Cadets2 should have been in the mix with Hurcs and Empire, not 2-3 points below.

C2 was visually dirtier, but at least they're marching (and therein lies the rub).

• Like 2

Not making an excuse for any judge, but I imagine performance order has hurt them in these bigger shows. Agree on the percussion spread. But when I watch Empire, Hurricanes and Cadets2, I feel like Cadets 2 is the one that just has something missing. Can't quite put my finger on it I'm sorry to say. Could be the lack of a strong color guard. Could be many of the foot issues seen in that corps compared to others. Could be the fact that after the opening statement, I can't hear the horns until the next impact. I think the only sue theyre paying is the fact DCA makes new corps perform first. But I really had them 5th tonight. That is all.

Take a look at the percussion scores and tell me "no dues necessary"...I beg to disagree.

IMO, Cadets2 should have been in the mix with Hurcs and Empire, not 2-3 points below.

C2 was visually dirtier, but at least they're marching (and therein lies the rub).

• Like 1

Very interesting to say the least. Figured Bucs would have gotten around a 94 this weekend with MBI getting a 92ish. Its a closer season than in years past but the scores do seem low.

Interesting take John. I was about three rows higher and on the 40, and I did have the order exactly what it was. Thought Hurcs beat Empire tonight, felt Empire was flat. I, too, did think scores were low across the board. Thought Cabs would be closer to Reading. Cadets2 is still visually a mess, and I don't hear the brass in most of the opener due to the powerful pit. Had Cadets2 been announced in something other than 5th, I wouldn't have been shocked, but I thought they were a solid 5th, no dues necessary. Think they could get close to Empire or Hurcs in 2 weeks, but add Renegades and Kidsgrove into the mix and Minnesota, and it gets pretty jumbled. There will be corps getting scores lower than they deserve just because of the talent level of 7 or 8 corps and numbers have to be managed.

"Cab's Closer to Reading":

Pretty much agree with what you wrote. Enjoyed the entire show HUGELY!!!! Great efforts by all, and the trio of Alumni units (Bridgemen, Park City Pride and Hawthorne Caballeros) offered a little something for everyone.

This olde witches hat is off to the American Legion and the contest comittee (GREAT Program Book BTW) for a terriffic "Fifthieth"!!!!!!

Elphaba

My "thoughts "say this fellow harbors a distain for the Hurcs or a bias favoring C2.

I would disagree. I could actually see things going his way or what actually happened. I'd say though both have advantages and disadvantages versus one another. Will try and get my review up.

"Cab's Closer to Reading":

Pretty much agree with what you wrote. Enjoyed the entire show HUGELY!!!! Great efforts by all, and the trio of Alumni units (Bridgemen, Park City Pride and Hawthorne Caballeros) offered a little something for everyone.

This olde witches hat is off to the American Legion and the contest comittee (GREAT Program Book BTW) for a terriffic "Fifthieth"!!!!!!

Elphaba

The Cabs were VERY good- but they were about right on with the spread. A scary thought, but Reading was that dominant.

any body know whats going on in scanton? it's 11:15 and the DCA website has nothing.

You didn't call Fran? devil.gif