Lighting - the next frontier of "staging"

Edited by Kevin Powell

Rules aren't as strict.

I know. That is one reason I say just open up the restrictions and let them go. Control of what it once was was lost a while back. Let them innovate.

As for money - that is individual corps responsibility on how they can pay for this new stuff.They do not need electronics. they could even use one flag...

I know. That is one reason I say just open up the restrictions and let them go. Control of what it once was was lost a while back. Let them innovate.

As for money - that is individual corps responsibility on how they can pay for this new stuff.They do not need electronics. they could even use one flag...

The arrangers disagree with you in what they "need".

• Like 1

If they feel they need rules relaxed in order to "innovate" they aren't thinking very innovatively, IMO.

I would argue that so long as the rules allow them, electronics *are* necessary for corps to be competitive. The way judging works, a corps who chose not to use electronics would lose out on points if they're surrounded by corps who add in samples and narration and environmental effects.

But like amped brass solos, if you need to use lighting to solve your staging issues, you actually have a bad design. Boston's lighting under the sheet was interesting, but not necessary.

And Stu's point is the best one of all: if we're encouraging more gadgetry and custom design elements like this, the costs of running a competitive corps are going shoot up. You don't just need the gear, you also need the staff to design, run, and maintain it.

• Like 5

I don't think it would work until they invent stadium lights that can be turned on and off (or dimmed and brightened) instantly. Drum Corps is a visual medium, and would not work well if it all took place under dimmed lights. I would hate to dim the lights for all corps for the sake of introducing lighting into shows. It would make it difficult to see marching technique and intricate details in shows.

If they could figure out a way to dim the stadium lights for some parts of a show and brighten them for others, then I think it could be really cool to incorporate lighting effects. Maybe they could figure out a way to light the field without the stadium lights that can take minutes to warm up to their full brightness.

I am just saying DCI halfway opened this whole can of worms that cannot be closed. At this point... OPEN UP THE CAN. It is to late to think backwards.

I actually agree that LESS can be MORE.

I personally think the introduction Bb horns was the no turning back point.

The arrangers disagree with you in what they "need".

buy a new arranger.

• Like 1

Pretty sure that'd be a SERIOUS downgrade for corps like The Cadets, Blue Devils and Blue Stars.

yeah sure... if you think finding someone who uses one instrument as a crutch is a downgrade.