Lighting - the next frontier of "staging"

While I was defending Some of the "G7" view points on "PAY-OUT" I have never defended the "G7" on equal votes per corps. I think that equal votes is a larger issue that has already been partially addressed.

I try to address both sides of an argument basically as a tool to find common ground. I have to do this daily while in search of solutions to design issues. If I do not see all sides, i cannot find a proper solution. I am guilty of playing that game. I just have to be clear on all points before moving forward. That is the designer in me.

Stu put up a great example about NASCAR. Those teams have a set budget that they must work within to keep the cars equal. That is awesome, it takes the car out of the equation and matches team skill against team skill. I also have no clue if this is true or not - I am not a NASCAR Fan. This might be a great idea for Drum Corps. I do not know.

What was not said by Stu was any mention of pay out for those winners within NASCAR. Is that Pay-Out Equal across the board? No - The winner "BANKS". Which was my only "pro" for any of the winning corps. (G7 corps - if you use that term)

Maybe there does need to be a price cap on show design but it will be difficult to impossible to judge. One Time investments in the right equipment can last along time.

An Inventory Judge?

Edited by Kevin Powell

Maybe there does need to be a price cap on show design but it will be difficult to impossible to judge. One Time investments in the right equipment can last along time.

I have thought about this often; instead of a 'spending' cap, you could do a 'price' cap- use the price of each item in the pit- a new version of this keyboard costs X amount, plus a new speaker is Y, etc.

This might equalize the playing field a bit?

Anyone who thinks that theatrical lighting can be worked into an outdoors drum corps show literally has not the slightest idea how much equipment, power, time and money would be required to do this in even the most marginally effective way.

"Blast" worked because it was performed on a small stage in theaters equipped with the necessary rigging and electricity. Even so, every time the show moves to another venue, it still takes hours to rig and aim the lighting. This isn't like rolling in a few amps and a mixing board.

What was not said by Stu was any mention of pay out for those winners within NASCAR. Is that Pay-Out Equal across the board? No - The winner "BANKS". Which was my only "pro" for any of the winning corps. (G7 corps - if you use that term)

a) In NASCAR the last place car makes enough in pay-out to make a profit for the team; and that is why there are always a few what are called start-and-park teams (teams who start the race then park the car after one lap).

b) NASCAR is a for-profit entity with a huge fan base so they can pay-out in this manner. DCI does not have the resources to make even an undefeated corps profitable through pay-outs. Yet, NASCAR is the entity which cares for the small teams by limiting costs while DCI allows the G7 to keep on placing undue burdens upon the small corps. Thus who is more altruistic? NASCAR or DCI?

DCA might be a better fit for you.

And from what I hear... NASCAR is fun to watch. With all the moaning and groaning here, DCI must not be fun to watch.

Edited by Kevin Powell

DCA might be a better fit for you.

Nothing against DCA, but nope. DCI is my home. And I want the the directors of G7 corps, which by the way include my corps, my corps which I have been a part of as both a marching member and a staff member, to knock it off and show some semblance of *** **** respect to "all" other DCI corps from Boston / Madison to Les Stentors / Blue Saints!!!!

double post... I'll avoid pushing those buttons.

cool. I get your frustration.

Edited by Kevin Powell

I've heard the same argument with things like amps and electronics. (it might have been me :tongue:)

and to date, in the summer, they really haven't been used well either