Long hair and drum corps

In The Cadets, it's clean-shaven males, and short haircuts for guys. Girls always wore a tight bun, with the rest of the hair sprayed down with loads of hairspray, or gel. It's called "show-hair".

And what's the deal with the rules against "buzzcuts"?? Someone told me I couldn't buzz my hair with a number 2, and I did anyway, I never did see what the big deal was?

SCV 2005 had a female cymbal player, and she shaved the bottom half of her head so that she wouldn't look any different than the guys under the aussie. That's ######

That was a big thing for the Santa Clara girls for a while - not so much as of late. Regular show hair. Males clean-shaven.

Hahahaha! That first Jolesch link under the "hair" column is none other than....Sideshow Bob! I helped teach the snares for a stretch this summer, and he was a REALLY good snare drummer! GOOD guy with a wicked sense of humor! Obviously, the nickname comes from the Simpsons, but look at him! He really looks like Sideshow Bob! LOL

• Like 1

I remember back in my day most of the women in the horn line had their hair cut short in the back so that anything exposed while wearing a shako was buzzed, but out of uniform the longer hair on top covered the back of their necks. I don't know what to call it - some kind of inverted comb-over?

Yup, the undercut. It was a heck of a lot cooler too!

When I marched Scouts, long hair was allowed...& I believe that Madison was the first corps with members with pierced ears...it was the left ear for me.

I have been watching a lot of older fan network videos the last couple days, and I noticed that in the late eighties there were several corps that had members with long hair sticking out of the back of their headgear (lots of guys with mullets). I don't know that I have seen any corps with that look in more recent times. Is this purely a function of more modern hair styles being short, or do corps require members to keep short hair or put it up in their hats? I imagine most corps (if not all) have rules about how to wear your hair when in uniform these days.

Also, are there any corps that have rules about facial hair for guys?

Or what about glasses, for that matter? I don't know that I have ever noticed a recent show with a member wearing glasses. I'm guessing that corps don't require members to get contact lenses or march without glasses, but it is a difference. That is probably the result of contact lenses becoming much more ubiquitous in more recent times.

In my HS band we had several girls who had really long hair. It always made me cringe when they let that long hair hang down from under their shakos. It looked liked hell. I tried to convince them to wear their hair up under their shako. A lot of good that did. Those girls with that long, stringy hair hanging out of their shakos made all 200 of us in the band look like a bunch of band geeks and goofs. Thinking about it makes we want to puke.

And what's the deal with the rules against "buzzcuts"?? Someone told me I couldn't buzz my hair with a number 2, and I did anyway, I never did see what the big deal was?

Because for people with lighter hair, it can look like you shaved your entire head, and once you've been out all summer losing a bunch of weight, it doesn't always make you look the best.

That was a big thing for the Santa Clara girls for a while - not so much as of late. Regular show hair. Males clean-shaven.

I know. I believe 2005 was the last time when that happened, then it just went to short "show-hair" for girls, and short enough hair for guys to do "show-hair", and not fully buzz-cut. The clean-shaven thing is also a new-ish development.