Each Corps number of age- outs ?

I posted a picture of Spirit and Crossmen ageouts together in the Crossmen thread... from that picture, it looks like Spirit has ~20 ageouts, but it's hard to count and there might be a few people missing

I'm pretty sure I counted 18 in both the group shot and a pic of the age-outs coming out of the stands to the field. Anyone from Spirit know for sure?

Blue Stars, from a picture on Facebook, approx. 42.

I'll post that number then, unless we hear otherwise.... thanks.

I'm not sure what these numbers mean anymore. In the case of lower corps, a low number of age-outs more than likely means that their kids are aging-out elsewhere. And with the upper corps, a high age-out number means that vets from other corps keep walking in the door and aging-out there. In the middle we probably see -- well -- numbers in the middle with a higher count of age-outs than the lower corps but still losing some kids who age-out (maybe rook-out) in the upper corps. It would certainly be interesting to see stats which reflected all this movement but I doubt corps would be anxious to release it. I can imagine a graph with directional connections between all the corps that indicate transfer volume. Additionally it's becoming more and more common to take one or more years off during a marching career.

Anyway I don't think age-out numbers mean a whole lot anymore. I guess they're a guide for where you might get a spot if you're considering auditioning at a higher corps. But a small (or large) age-out class just doesn't have the same meaning as in the past.

I'm not sure what these numbers mean anymore. In the case of lower corps, a low number of age-outs more than likely means that their kids are aging-out elsewhere.

I wouldn't try and extrapolate too much from this either. I have no idea if a lower placing Corps like the Oregon Crusaders that have a reported 8 age outs is because " more than likely their kids are ageing out elsewhere". It could be true, but it may not be. Only they could tell us that. I have no idea either if the Blue Stars estimated 42 ageouts this season came mostly from " lower placing Corps " or were marchers that came mostly directly from bands at one time to then march the Blue Stars. There is SOME value to this list of Corps ageouts it seems to me however. For just one example, sometimes we hear during the season that a particular Corps placement struggles are because " the Corps has a lot of young, inexperienced marchers this year". But later it is determined that the Corps in fact had a large number of experienced marchers and a lot of ageouts compared to many other Corps. Some Corps do well despite the younger age of the Corps it seems as well.

I do agree with you that if we knew " retention rates " for Corps from previous seasons it might be an indicator of satisfaction with parents and marchers with the Corps, and a good indicator that the Corps COULD do well the following season provided the show designers give the Corps a good vehicle. There are always the proverbial " ring chasers " that change Corps too. Thats been a staple of modern Drum Corps for quite some time. That no doubt continues and some Corps large ageout numbers are no big deal as they'll fill that age out spot with a " ring chaser" from a lower placing Corps without missing a beat. But there is at least SOME value to this. If the Cadets had only 35 or so ageouts this year, and they retain a good portion of their current marchers from this season for next season that could bode well for them. Same with Boston. Boston finished 7th and had less than 30 ageouts. Like the Cadets, if they retain a good nucleus as a 2nd year TOC qualifying Corps, that could conceivably be a good thing for them as well for next season it seems to me. So I do see some value in this, although to be sure one should be cautioned not to read TOO much into these ageout numbers with these Corps.

Edited by BRASSO

As far as OC goes, I think they had 3 privous members age out with other corps. All 3 had not marched in OC since the 2010 season. OC had great retention coming into this past season. A huge difference from this last summer to previous years,is that the ageouts who may have gone else where, decided to finish what they started. (Reminded me of Bluecoats many years ago) Truely a remarkable thing in my eyes. Their leadership and desire to finish with the family they started with 3-5 years ago is what has continued to strengthen the corps bond. It seems to be a place where the members start here and mostly, if financially possible, want to age out with their OC family. The director and staff have a lot to do with it as well. Its been the same basic staff for 3-4 years now.

I beleive this will continue as long as the corps continues to grow. Maybe not in numbers, but in desire to keep the bonds of friendship. They currently do about the same amount of touring that the other corps do (except for the top corps) and are on the road for 5-6 weeks each summer. Another problem is the school end date going into summer. The NW schools let out on June 15th or so each school year. Makes it hard to go and march Crown, Cadets or Cavies all things considered.

I hope they can continue the trend they have started since 2007 and continue to keep the membership a family atmosphere and mature as people and performers. it was just 4 years ago they only had 60 members. last year it was 130+. The corps is very special and I hope they continue to keep their eye on what is important. Turning their members in mature adults who have a desire to acheive their goals, no matter how difficult it may seem. That is what I call success.Congrats to the members, staff and volunteers who helped OC provide a fantasic experience to their corps members.

As far as OC goes, I think they had 3 privous members age out with other corps. All 3 had not marched in OC since the 2010 season. OC had great retention coming into this past season. A huge difference from this last summer to previous years,is that the ageouts who may have gone else where, decided to finish what they started. (Reminded me of Bluecoats many years ago) Truely a remarkable thing in my eyes. Their leadership and desire to finish with the family they started with 3-5 years ago is what has continued to strengthen the corps bond. It seems to be a place where the members start here and mostly, if financially possible, want to age out with their OC family. The director and staff have a lot to do with it as well. Its been the same basic staff for 3-4 years now.

I beleive this will continue as long as the corps continues to grow. Maybe not in numbers, but in desire to keep the bonds of friendship. They currently do about the same amount of touring that the other corps do (except for the top corps) and are on the road for 5-6 weeks each summer. Another problem is the school end date going into summer. The NW schools let out on June 15th or so each school year. Makes it hard to go and march Crown, Cadets or Cavies all things considered.

I hope they can continue the trend they have started since 2007 and continue to keep the membership a family atmosphere and mature as people and performers. it was just 4 years ago they only had 60 members. last year it was 130+. The corps is very special and I hope they continue to keep their eye on what is important. Turning their members in mature adults who have a desire to acheive their goals, no matter how difficult it may seem. That is what I call success.Congrats to the members, staff and volunteers who helped OC provide a fantasic experience to their corps members.

Its great to see new blood in Drum Corps begin to do well. This was an interesting read on the Oregon Crusaders. They really did quite well this year and looking quite strong in winning the Open Class this season. They have really improved each year. Its quite refreshing to see this, especially when there has been some disappointments with losing a few other Corps lately.

I wouldn't try and extrapolate too much from this either. I have no idea if a lower placing Corps like the Oregon Crusaders that have a reported 8 age outs is because " more than likely their kids are ageing out elsewhere". It could be true, but it may not be. Only they could tell us that. I have no idea either if the Blue Stars estimated 42 ageouts this season came mostly from " lower placing Corps " or were marchers that came mostly directly from bands at one time to then march the Blue Stars. There is SOME value to this list of Corps ageouts it seems to me however. For just one example, sometimes we hear during the season that a particular Corps placement struggles are because " the Corps has a lot of young, inexperienced marchers this year". But later it is determined that the Corps in fact had a large number of experienced marchers and a lot of ageouts compared to many other Corps. Some Corps do well despite the younger age of the Corps it seems as well.

I do agree with you that if we knew " retention rates " for Corps from previous seasons it might be an indicator of satisfaction with parents and marchers with the Corps, and a good indicator that the Corps COULD do well the following season provided the show designers give the Corps a good vehicle. There are always the proverbial " ring chasers " that change Corps too. Thats been a staple of modern Drum Corps for quite some time. That no doubt continues and some Corps large ageout numbers are no big deal as they'll fill that age out spot with a " ring chaser" from a lower placing Corps without missing a beat. But there is at least SOME value to this. If the Cadets had only 35 or so ageouts this year, and they retain a good portion of their current marchers from this season for next season that could bode well for them. Same with Boston. Boston finished 7th and had less than 30 ageouts. Like the Cadets, if they retain a good nucleus as a 2nd year TOC qualifying Corps, that could conceivably be a good thing for them as well for next season it seems to me. So I do see some value in this, although to be sure one should be cautioned not to read TOO much into these ageout numbers with these Corps.

Probably the only good thing from low age-outs/high retention rates is that it would allow them to know the system and expectations of the corps. But as we all know, if the programming isn't there, it doesn't matter how good the talent is.

• Like 1

Probably the only good thing from low age-outs/high retention rates is that it would allow them to know the system and expectations of the corps. But as we all know, if the programming isn't there, it doesn't matter how good the talent is.

No doubt about it.

Programming needs to match the talent level of the Corps too, imo.

The genius of the Star of Indiana was the programming matched the talent level of the Corps. As the Corps improved in talent levels and maturity each season, the staff there increased the complexity and the demands in the show. Thats also important too... provided of course the Corps retains sufficient talent to enable show designers to take it up a notch in design, demand and complexity. One of the biggest disappointments is to see a show design that is too hard for a young and/ or inexperienced Corps to make work. Its simply too hard and over the head of the talent levels in the Corps to carry it off well. And of course there are also examples of Corps that are talented and experienced, but as you said, the programming lets them down from reaching their full potential that year too.

Edited by BRASSO