Boxer Scranton Review

I'm gonna start this one differently from the normal way I do. Why? Losing Chuck Saia very recently made me realize some things, and I wanted to dedicate this review to him, and to some other people I've never forgotten.

Chuck was one of the people in my rookie year that made me feel I had a place in the Westshoremen. It wasn't easy joining a DCA when I was 16 back in that era. Simple acts of kindness then made a lot of difference. A seat shared on the bus when there weren't many left, a word of encouragement at breakfast or lunch, a good joke, all remembered and appreciated many years later.

Chuck, Norm Selak, Jamie Washburn- who are no longer with us and who I miss, and Ron Church, Steve Rook, and Jim Fawber, who I'm thankful are still with us, and who I always appreciate seeing, this review is, as Jimmy Russo says, for ALL OF YOU.

If you respond to this review, kindly mention someone who helped you out in your corps when you started and made you feel like you belonged. They deserve it. Without people like that, a Corps can't stay together.

Also, if you don't see a number count for a corps, one can reference my Downingtown numbers in that review. My numbers are a rough count in many instances. If they are incorrect, please forgive the inaccuracy and provide the correct count. It's appreciated.

The Scranton show is always a critical one. Corps want to get head to head and make statements-- try and pass people they believe they can, or hold off those who can challenge them. The other issue on my mind was the magic 80. Right now, if you're in Open, 80+ this weekend seemed to be the critical number if you want to make finals and be in that hunt.

Parking was a bit cramped this year, get there early if you go next year.

The new DCI online ticket sales for the contest worked wonderfully. I had a seat dead on the 50 only about 2 rows underneath the press box. I bypassed the long ticket lines to the will-call booth, was handed my ticket in 10 seconds- boom, though the gate!

The first suprise was an appearance by Bridgemen Alumni, who performed most of the 1980 program, their laid-back style and simple but pleasant drill package being much appreciated by the fans. I liked tne doppler work in Winnetka and the old-school percussion tuning.

Great Major 7 chord to wrap up, and their version of William Tell Overture to finish was great!

I wish their sales stand had stayed behind. I think they'd have sold more stuff if they had, including from me. I still need to get a Bridgemen shirt to replace one that was 'accidentally' shrunk to my Mom's size back in the day. :satisfied:

First on in competition, C2. My questions were- "How much have they cleaned?" and "How have they dealt with the holes"?

They appeared to have 2 more horns then Downingtown, and have cleverly worked to minimize the impact the 2-3 holes remaining in the drill with the horn line have with the visual package. They were clearly an issue and detriment at Downingtown, far less so this week.

The Percussion Battery are the stars of this corps, period. Their musicality drives the program from start to finish. They demonstrate more dynamic levels than some Corps' entire musical ensembles can demonstrate.

The Horn line still sounds thin on extended passages when they're spread. The effort changes look a lot better then when previously seen. I know people are still seeing problems- the long off-white legs of their uniform will really telegraph things like that when they occur, but I sense a lot more confidence and authority from the performers with the visual demands. They're not as defined and as crisp as they want them to or need to be on the effort changes, but they still have 2 weeks to continue to grow.

There were also some timing/attack issues in the ballad that were an issue.

I liked the fact that the horn line in the end sequence showed some big "round and bouncy spherical objects", I figure you can you get what I mean, and I'm not talking props. :satisfied:

I really don't think the issue is 'dues-paying'. The main issue is whether the horns and guard can project themselves with more authority, confidence, and bravado. Doing this tends to lessen the perception of how detrimental a mistake is. The Percussion battery and Front Ensemble understand this. The rest of the corps needs to learn from their example.

The program's ambitious. I don't think it's *too* ambitious. I believe they can still get things done over the next two weeks and challenge Hurcs and Empire. It's more challenging visually than Empire's is, but not performed as well. They need to continue to work on sounding more mature and full as a brass ensemble for the entire program. This is why I don't think they're getting 'dumped'. It's why I think they can still move up if they can continue to clean.

They were well received by the audience, and they deserved to be. I know everyone points out issues, they're there-- but they do have an upside, and great potential.

Next up was "The Hit!" By Fusion Core (2DM/8 Front Ensemble/29 Horns/16 Battery/14 Color Guard). One can't say enough about this horn line. It's well schooled, arranged very well for and uses a lot of timbres and tonalities, which can be a very scary thing for a smaller horn ensemble to do, and they're also presented well by the visual package, which does get them into some pretty daring field spreads at times. The 29 horns pack a lot of power, musicality, and skill into their small size, much to their credit. Their soloists are extremely good and worthy, they still have some more room to shape and include more nuance, but the foundation is good and firm. They're not afraid to play hard and at the audience with no apologies. The crowd noticed, and respected that greatly.

The Front Ensemble does a fine job as well. The battery has matured greatly since I watched them at the Reading Indoor Concert. They're young- but have come a very long way in terms of performing with confidence, attention to details, and quality. They should feel prety good about how far they've come- but keep striving to continue their growth.

Whomever did the designs for the flags did a great job. They were quite artistic, attractive, complimented the show very well and caught my eye in a positive way. Thank you!

The ending with the actual hit was quite exciting, and a great way to wrap up the show and tell the story they wanted to tell. I want to know- was the pistol hidden in the men's room? :wink:

This Corps does a FINE job in Open Class, and is certainly deserving of a Finals Spot. Others have said, and I agree that this field of Open Class Corps may be the strongest from top to bottom that DCA has ever seen. I certainly wish them the best of luck with that. They won over a lot of fans in the audience and gained a lot of respect at this contest. I could hear a lot of approving and appreciative comments from some of the tough old-schoolers I was sitting around. Their growth over the last three years has been really wonderful for the organization and fans.

I was thinking of taking a break here, but if I didn't cover the Cabs (3 DM/56 Horns/10 Front Ensemble/20 Battery/29 Guard) before I went out to dinner, fans may riot, such is the dedication and intensity of their fan base. :cool:

Comments have been made about the opening set, and how it reminds everyone they respect their past. This show still does. The Cabs take very, very seriously how they can use new ideas and include them within their sense of who they are, their traditions, and what makes them special and unique.

They have done that this year in such an original, thoughtful, beautiful, and incredible way, that it blew my mind.

The opening is really beautiful, elegant, and lovely. I got goosebumps, and I'm one jaded old bari player.

"But- but- Big W!!!! It's DIFFERENT! The show's... well.. *gasp* DIFFERENT!"

Yes, but at the heart of things- and I mean the HEART of the Cabs, and the heart of the fans- it's not different at all. This show is the ESSENCE of this corps and what it has stood for. The Cabs have always had people's hearts, and this year, this show goes right at those deep emotions that reside within their corps, and inside every one of us who listen to them. Those emotions of joy and passion that sometimes we're afraid to tap into because they can make us smile and cry all at once.

They do it wonderfully, with an elegant and beautiful horn book, and the best visual package the Cabs have had in many years, if not the best ever. The horns are nuanced, their percussion battery is the best it's been at at least 10 years, and they move VERY well with visual nuance and body moves.

Reading my notes, the scores have been reflecting my thoughts on the program. It's engaging and lovely, to the point where when a thing here and there goes a bit wrong- it's still wonderful. They need to clean those little musical and visual hiccuups that I noticed- but could forgive, to a point. I know they're gonna keep cleaning. They know how great this show is, and they'll do their best to max everything out as they can, and they can do it. :cool:

Their Bari soloist (**GASP!** A BARI soloist in the CABS!!!!!! I keep telling you this is different, Big W!!!!) is top notch, I MEAN top notch. The solo's written in the low end of the instrument, and Marching Baritones usually sound like a Japanese Tuner Car muffler below second line G in Treble Clef and 4th line F in Bass. He has a gorgeous tone, right on the money in that very scary end of the horn. The notes come out the bell like paint off a brush. And, unlike most of us clumsy Bari people, he can also dance! :huh:

This show has such a sense of uplift, joy, and passion, the reaching out to the audience from their hearts, the things that make the Cabs so loved and who they are- it's a must see.

Before people think I'm being too much a homer with the Cabs- can yah give me a little more OOMPH! from the horn line in the final heart set? Please? After all, it IS what this show is all about and the final defining moment. :biggrin:

At this point of the actual contest, they should have put an intermission in to get a snack, maybe buy some goodies from the corps- and also, to dash to the rest rooms!

I myself need dinner, so I will put an intermission here. Don't worry- the rest is all good- and the Fistbumps from this show will be forthcoming. :biggrin:

• Like 5

W, great stuff as usual!

Sorry I didn't get a chance to chat with you. Hopefully we can, sometime in the not-too-distant future!

I was thinking of taking a break here, but if I didn't cover the Cabs (3 DM/56 Horns/10 Front Ensemble/20 Battery/29 Guard) before I went out to dinner, fans may riot, such is the dedication and intensity of their fan base. :cool:

Comments have been made about the opening set, and how it reminds everyone they respect their past. This show still does. The Cabs take very, very seriously how they can use new ideas and include them within their sense of who they are, their traditions, and what makes them special and unique.

They have done that this year in such an original, thoughtful, beautiful, and incredible way, that it blew my mind.

The opening is really beautiful, elegant, and lovely. I got goosebumps, and I'm one jaded old bari player.

"But- but- Big W!!!! It's DIFFERENT! The show's... well.. *gasp* DIFFERENT!"

Yes, but at the heart of things- and I mean the HEART of the Cabs, and the heart of the fans- it's not different at all. This show is the ESSENCE of this corps and what it has stood for. The Cabs have always had people's hearts, and this year, this show goes right at those deep emotions that reside within their corps, and inside every one of us who listen to them. Those emotions of joy and passion that sometimes we're afraid to tap into because they can make us smile and cry all at once.

They do it wonderfully, with an elegant and beautiful horn book, and the best visual package the Cabs have had in many years, if not the best ever. The horns are nuanced, their percussion battery is the best it's been at at least 10 years, and they move VERY well with visual nuance and body moves.

Reading my notes, the scores have been reflecting my thoughts on the program. It's engaging and lovely, to the point where when a thing here and there goes a bit wrong- it's still wonderful. They need to clean those little musical and visual hiccuups that I noticed- but could forgive, to a point. I know they're gonna keep cleaning. They know how great this show is, and they'll do their best to max everything out as they can, and they can do it. :cool:

Their Bari soloist (**GASP!** A BARI soloist in the CABS!!!!!! I keep telling you this is different, Big W!!!!) is top notch, I MEAN top notch. The solo's written in the low end of the instrument, and Marching Baritones usually sound like a Japanese Tuner Car muffler below second line G in Treble Clef and 4th line F in Bass. He has a gorgeous tone, right on the money in that very scary end of the horn. The notes come out the bell like paint off a brush. And, unlike most of us clumsy Bari people, he can also dance! :huh:

This show has such a sense of uplift, joy, and passion, the reaching out to the audience from their hearts, the things that make the Cabs so loved and who they are- it's a must see.

Before people think I'm being too much a homer with the Cabs- can yah give me a little more OOMPH! from the horn line in the final heart set? Please? After all, it IS what this show is all about and the final defining moment. :biggrin:

Thanks for your outstanding review of Cabs.....sorry I missed you last night.

And yeah...the Bari soloist is just awesome. And a real cool kid too. Kyle is extremely humble, but one of the most talented kids I have ever met!

• Like 1

Now to the Bucs, and Happy Birthday to Seb the Tuba guy. He's got a very nice family that sat next to me and put up special signs for him. :cool:

My Downingtown review covered a lot of the bases, and I'm going through my notes I took during the show for what I was thinking when I watched this performance.

There have been some DCP comments that this show is 'not difficult'. As compared to what? A DCI corps, or its competitors?

When compared to other DCA Corps it's difficulty is at worst, right there. I watched the show and those comments popped into my head. I felt the need to say something in my notebook. The show is difficult. There's a lot of interweaving thematic complexity and field spread. there are complex meters within the program. Not many other DCA units are playing in 5/4 for any part of their show.

Or... comments that they're 'not 'DCA' enough.

Well, lemme tell you about their first impact in their show, those of you who would think this corps to be 'wimpy', not tough and bad enough to fight in the DCA Octagon.

It was a freakin' full 9 gun 16 inch Iowa Class battleship broadside going off near your face. KA-POWWWWW, Target, Cease fire!

In my head, I was litterally thinking,

"SWEET BABY JESUS!!!!!!!!" and my eyes popped.

Look. I PLAYED in a hornline capable of some power, Fran knows I can still throw the sonic plasma out there for about 4 minutes in Alumni corps before I keel over or Dave Fisher clouts me because I just don't play enough any more... I've been jaded over many, many years of listening to a lot of corps and good HS bands, and I'm usually thinking as I attentively listen, "Oh, that's pretty nice"... "not bad at all"... "quite good", I'm not thinking... "SWEET BABY JESUS!" :thumbup:

Oh, and the Major 9 chord was pretty daggone sweet, too. :thumbup:

The attention to every detail is what enables the Bucs to stay ahead. Every aspect and detail is there for a reason and is seamless with the total package. Every body move is there for a reason- not to just lean over for credit. The props are there to enhance the package, and blend within it, not to merely exist. Every ingredient compliments the other perfectly like the seasonings and bacon wrapped around a filet mignon fresh off the skewer at Fogo de Chao. Eat there and you'll understand what I mean. :cool:

The Baris had a (insert colorful gerund here that would be inappropriate to say in polite company) GOOD day. Just my tuppence on THAT. Bari people know where I come from on that. There had to be some satisfaction from that section of the corps when they poured it all out in three parts like they did so well.

Percussion was just kickin' as usual- I heard about Bass 2. I'd not have known unless I was told. Well done, Sir, Well done. :worthy:

And yeah- I was up on my feet for the last 30 seconds. More Battleship broadsides from the corps were fired around then, by the way. At least this time we were in the bunkers and knew they'd be coming.

And again- before people think I'm going to say it was all good and appear to be a homer- I think they know the rotating triangle on side one near the end of the show needs to get the drill cleaned up and clearer whilst it rotates.

The corps is just so dominant- for MBI to be 1.6ish out indcates they've also got some serious mojo as well, and Prelims should be a real shootout that I greatly look forward to.

Next up were the Empire Statesmen (David B./12 Front Ensemble/20 Battery/@40!? Horns/19 Color Guard) with their "City of Sin"/Las Vegas program.

I have to say the hornline has a real zen of a group of veteran people who have played together for a long time and know where they're all going. if they're not, they're certainly well instructed, very attentive to detail, and listening to one another and understanding their roles. My guess is that their work with "The Edge", and performing for audiences at Darien Lake has really helped with this aspect of their corps and been a real positive for them in this regard.

The horn book fits this show extremely well- it's written in a very authentic Las Vagas show band style with the jazzy, big fat chords in every note that's played, and the readability, balance and clarity is noteworthy and impressive. Fine, fine work! Joey Pera's features were spot on, and the corps musically wrapped arund him like a glove. I liked the more open percussion tuning, and it sounded fine up where I was. The bass drums had a good run, to their credit.

The Cirque D' Soliel section was also well written musically, and the "Blue Man" interlude was quite engaging and fun to watch. It just got a bit out of control quality-wise at the end, but that issue should be easily dealt with as well as the horn re-entry afterwards.

Their color guard this year seems to be well-written and integrated into the program as well.

Their soloist in "My Way" was also quite good, and set up a great moment. The "Luck be a Lady" closer is a nice arrangement, and ends the show very well.

There are some weaknesses. The drill seems rather conservative- well perfomed, but comparatively very conservative, much in the vein of CV.

I also believe the show's not quite 'finished' in terms of some "Empire Statesmen" style special detailing. According to the announcement, the story is more than just the Statesmen taking you on a whirlwind tour of Vegas. It's supposed to be a young couple's journey according to the announcment- and I would think they'll have to include those individuals if this is the story they intend to tell. There's a small gaming table on side one that sits there but didn't appear to be utilzed at all. My guess is that might be part of the story they intend to tell, but again, isn't being utilized yet. The cruciform platforms on both sides of the field are rather cleverly constructed, but seem to be a bit under-utilized as well.

We'll have to see whether Empire will add those things and find out how they make it all work for their finished product come championship weekend. I feel like they have a great house, it's just missing some decorative artwork and some pieces of furniture in a couple of rooms to really call it a home.

I think they're in the middle of a really tough scrum with the Hurcs and C2- maybe even the Cabs thrown in there based on the Sunday show results. I won't count them out of the mix. Empire fights hard and never lies down to let themselves get run over. That's known and respected.

The final contestant for the evening were the Hurcs ( 1(?)DM/42 horns/21 battery/12 front ensemble/28 color guard) with their British program.

If someone would have told me they do an opener with Petula Clark and other 60's Brit-Pop mixed with Holst, at face value, I'd be thinking, yeah... mmmhmm... and be a bit skeptical, but their horn arranger's done a really fine job with it! The pacing and arrangements are quite, quite good, and there are some musical split-fingered fastballs the Hurcs throw right at you for strikes.

The one thing I've liked about the Hurc's percussion battery over the past 2-3 seasons is their aggressiveness and push. In the opener, it may have caused some notable balance issues in this performance. Seeing how their score went up on Sunday- that may have been dealt with ASAP, as well as some of the musical dirt from the horns in the opener.

The arrangement of Greensleves has sme real risky writing for the Low Brass, which I appreciated. Well done!

The Guard, as always, was performing and enhancing the music and visual pckage elegantly and at a high level.

The show's snare feature was well done, and again their battery, delights me in how they push. They have no fear, no self-consciousness. I admire this.

The Gilbert and Sullivan section was clever in the British way they use the word- but had some emsemble shimmer that needs to be dealt with.

The William Walton/Big Ben section is absolutely delightful in every aspect. The horn line in this part of the show has a delicious 85 percent cocoa bean dark chocolate bar flavor here that's really distinct and worth listening to.

The corps then- get this- goes through a well written and performed "Fantasia on the Dargason" right into "Soul Bossa Nova", aka the Austin Powers Theme".. and makes this work, and work quite well, and then heads into Benjamin Britten.

The thing is, was the guard counting off loud enough in certain parts of the show near the end that I could hear it in front of the press box? That has to go. I thought I was imagining it- and realized I wasn't.

The thing is- I'm wondering if this is one of the finest packages the Hurcs have ever offered, if not the best package. It's that good, it's that fun, that accessible for everyone to enjoy, and that daggone clever in a British way in its arranging. The only show I can think of in that way might be the Ben-Hur show from the 90's.

I just have a hunch the Hurcs may have had a roughish run at Scranton and were determined to show they were capable of a lot better on Sunday given the number bounce they got. This is a very good corps, folks. They're in the middle of a tough fight agains other very talented and capable groups. We'll have to see how it all shakes out over the next two weeks. Everything is still in a very high degree of flux from CV up to the very top.

I'll get to the two final exhibitions and to the Big W Fistbump awards next installment. I need to take a mental break and drink some tea. :satisfied:

Edited by BigW
  • Like 1

This kind of commentary comes up consistently. Fusion's brass is no longer becoming a dca mainstay....it is one.

One can't say enough about this horn line. It's well schooled, arranged very well for and uses a lot of timbres and tonalities, which can be a very scary thing for a smaller horn ensemble to do, and they're also presented well by the visual package, which does get them into some pretty daring field spreads at times. The 29 horns pack a lot of power, musicality, and skill into their small size, much to their credit. Their soloists are extremely good and worthy, they still have some more room to shape and include more nuance, but the foundation is good and firm. They're not afraid to play hard and at the audience with no apologies. The crowd noticed, and respected that greatly.

GE tape on steroids...and was a real good read front to back...sincere appreciation and kudos to a vet who took the time to create and share. Awesome.

And thumb down to me for interrupting it b4 you were done !

Edited by wishbonecav

The first exhibition corps on were the Park City Pride, a bit smaller than what I've seen in indoor concerts and at Scranton, but still punchy and enjoyable, with a lot of solid period style arrangements of classic tunes. I appreciate the time and effort put into the guard with the equipment changes and rifle work.

Their percussion feature was quite solid, and their solo work was also well done.

As always, the Cymbal/rifle section does quality work to enhance the presentation.

I know it's a fairly long run down from Connecticut on a bus to PA, and it was appreciated.

Finally, the Cabs Alumni presented.

They have an all new musical book sandwiched between the bullfight intro and Flamenco Cha-Cha. They obviously put a lot of time into this corps, and it takes a lot of effort to create a new show every season- especially for an Alumni Corps, with a more limited rehearsal schedule and people with many other priorities in their lives. God Bless 'em!

To be truthful, the fans, myself included- love them so much they wouldn't *have* to do this, but they do take the time and effort, and it's greatly appreciated.

It was nice to hear the classic "Sounds of Spain" again. I have to inject something- at the end of the piece, there was a long extended snare roll that the Snares NAILED. I was thinking, "Stroke those out, baby! Yeah!"

The show had a great feel to it tonight. A wonderful laid-back relaxed, cookin' groove, especially in the concert number and in "Don't cry for me Argentina". The soprano soloists were spot on/ GPS bomb down the chimney as always- the Mello feature was outstnding. It's a difficult solo that has some tough ingredients in it that could make it a recipe for disaster, and he plays it really well.

Now, who was responsible for the groove that just poured out tonight like fine wine out of the bottle?

The Contras had a very good night. The Snares had a VERY good night, dusted off their feature, blew it away and knocked the crowd dead, and so did the three guys on the latin percussion on Side one. Those three guys had everything cooked perfectly tonight for the corps to jam off of. They really made the whole corps better musically with their feel and musicality.

These guys just keep getting better! I know from my several years in Westshore Alumni that you care very deeply about providing a great effort for your fans, but limited rehearsal time, and well, limited practice time for me make it had to go where you want to go for your fans. But the Cabs Alumni just keep tweaking things, keep doing everything better every time I see them. My guess is that they have a core group that's been together now for so long, that everyone's so comfortable with how everyone zigs that it's how they continue to make it happen at a higher level every year.

Now, for the

fistbump.png

Awards- given to certain parts of a corps that make things happen that just might not get the attention they deserve. Kind of like the All-Madden team for DCA. Everyone knows the superstars. But there are some people out there that are also doing some awesome work on the field, and for that, I thank them this way.

Reading's Bass Drums and Bari Soloists got recognized at Downingtown as did C2's Bass Drums, so they can safely assume I didn't forget about them this time.

Bridgemen Alumni: the Sideline bass drum feature peeps!

C2: Still those Bass Drummers!

Fusion Core: Their Front Ensemble. Always right there, and in the way it is meant to be there.

Cabs: Kyle, the Bari soloist. Thank you Frank, for telling me who he is.

Bucs: Dagnabbit, baris. You all get one this show. You all smoked it. Hardcore. Also, the gentleman on Bass Drum 2. I heard what happened. Everyone in the Bucs should shake your hand and thank you for that run at Scranton.

Empire: I seem to be handing out a lot of Bass Drum bumps this year, but there are so many good sections that I think no one notices as to how good they are, and how they lead in and set up a lot of great things for the horn line. Empire's is in that mix, too. Also, the Mello soloist in "My Way". Wistful, thoughtful, wonderfully played.

Hurcs: their Tubas. Some real solid sound, and set-up for some fine moments your corps has muscially.

Park City: Their Conductors. They do a great job, period.

Cabs Alumni: Their three Latin Instrument guys, the Snares, and their mello soloist. In the Cabs, their soprano/trumpet feature guys are already deservedly recognized rock stars. Obviously both Cabs corps have some peeps on other instruments that can also get it done. :satisfied:

I made my way out during the scores. I hadn't eaten all day and wanted to get to the Glider. I heard the scores called off- read them on the net- they seemed to be pretty much on the ball. That being said, there are still a lot of placements left unsettled. Many of the corps tonight have the ability to move up and compete with several other corps this season. Nothing can nor should be taken for granted over the next two weeks. I don't see any one of the corps tonight mailing it in. Too much is at stake in terms of corps pride and also placements.

Saturday, I'll be getting my outer layer of skin on my face peeled off at Big Sounds- I'm down LOW on the fitty. I greatly look forward to seeing Cabs, Bucs, Fusion Core, Shenendoah Sound, and White Sabers down in the trenches and up close for a different perspective, and to seeing Carolina Gold for the first time this season. I liked them two years ago a lot- and was disappointed I missed them last year because of the storm. See you there!

Edited by BigW

ThankYou for your wonderful in depth style of reviews!

Even if you add in the DCI side . fewer folks are relaying to others what thay saw and heard.

Thanks for getting it out about how all these fine folks worked so hard to achieve , in such an articulate and thoughtful , while retaining honesty manner.

frankiE ( Sky Alumni contrabass )

Next up was "The Hit!" By Fusion Core (2DM/8 Front Ensemble/29 Horns/16 Battery/14 Color Guard). One can't say enough about this horn line. It's well schooled, arranged very well for and uses a lot of timbres and tonalities, which can be a very scary thing for a smaller horn ensemble to do, and they're also presented well by the visual package, which does get them into some pretty daring field spreads at times. The 29 horns pack a lot of power, musicality, and skill into their small size, much to their credit. Their soloists are extremely good and worthy, they still have some more room to shape and include more nuance, but the foundation is good and firm. They're not afraid to play hard and at the audience with no apologies. The crowd noticed, and respected that greatly.

The Front Ensemble does a fine job as well. The battery has matured greatly since I watched them at the Reading Indoor Concert. They're young- but have come a very long way in terms of performing with confidence, attention to details, and quality. They should feel prety good about how far they've come- but keep striving to continue their growth.

Whomever did the designs for the flags did a great job. They were quite artistic, attractive, complimented the show very well and caught my eye in a positive way. Thank you!

The ending with the actual hit was quite exciting, and a great way to wrap up the show and tell the story they wanted to tell. I want to know- was the pistol hidden in the men's room? :wink:

This Corps does a FINE job in Open Class, and is certainly deserving of a Finals Spot. Others have said, and I agree that this field of Open Class Corps may be the strongest from top to bottom that DCA has ever seen. I certainly wish them the best of luck with that. They won over a lot of fans in the audience and gained a lot of respect at this contest. I could hear a lot of approving and appreciative comments from some of the tough old-schoolers I was sitting around. Their growth over the last three years has been really wonderful for the organization and fans.

Just wanted to extend a note of thanks for the positive review and reaction to the show. The Core is working hard to secure its first Open Class finals position as well as continue to entertain the crowd along the way. Glad you and others in the crowd enjoyed the show and we will share your compliments with the members.

Edited by drsedlak

Brother Dave! YOU are the Caption Head? It explains mucho-mucho as to why it's all good with you guys. I put a good word or three in for you guys with some younger folks that would be thinking about getting a good corps experience in the future on the phone just before I read your note here. Looking forwward to prelims. You're gaining fans out there, keep it rollin'!