Cadet's show converted me

I seem to remember that George Hopkins liked the idea of a Christmas show because Christmas music was something that everyone could relate to. Well, that may be true, given that it's impossible to go into any retail establishment without hearing both sacred and secular Christmas music for three straight months. And while I'm sure many people can relate to the quotes from Charlie Brown Christmas, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and It's a Wonderful Life, I'm not sure everyone can connect to the Jesus Fish drill or the Crown with a Cross on top. That version of Christmas is something that not everyone will connect with, and possibly offensive to those who enjoy the secular celebration of Christmas who are not Christians.

• Like 1

I seem to remember that George Hopkins liked the idea of a Christmas show because Christmas music was something that everyone could relate to. Well, that may be true, given that it's impossible to go into any retail establishment without hearing both sacred and secular Christmas music for three straight months. And while I'm sure many people can relate to the quotes from Charlie Brown Christmas, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and It's a Wonderful Life, I'm not sure everyone can connect to the Jesus Fish drill or the Crown with a Cross on top. That version of Christmas is something that not everyone will connect with, and possibly offensive to those who enjoy the secular celebration of Christmas who are not Christians.

It's true...as a non-Christian, I have a hard time relating to such offensive drill forms.

And as a non-Euclidean mathematician, I also have a hard time relating to many of the shapes found on the field today.

I'm also a bird, so I had a hard time relating to the fish drill, but could relate quite easily to BK's bird set.

• Like 7

It's not necessary to connect with everyone every moment of a show...What's necessary is to connect with all or most with the entirety of a show.

I enjoy the sacred elements of the celebration of Christmas, (which is why I coordinate the community Advent Festival each year that brings church choirs together to raise money for the local food pantry), but I'm not going to get bent when I see Christmas trees, presents and Santa Claus showing up. And those appear around Christmas for a heck of a lot longer than an 8-count drill form.

Tis the season to be jolly!

• Like 5

It's true...as a non-Christian, I have a hard time relating to such offensive drill forms.

And as a non-Euclidean mathematician, I also have a hard time relating to many of the shapes found on the field today.

I'm also a bird, so I had a hard time relating to the fish drill, but could relate quite easily to BK's bird set.

That wouldn't be an issue if you were a cormorant, osprey, heron or tern. :tongue:

(And if I didn't mention your favorite bird that fishes, the only conclusion is that I must hate them.)

• Like 4

12.25 is not the first show where people have seen religious overtones. Star of Indiana in 1991 in a show that is often considered George Zingali's masterpiece (it was his last show) had the two cross formations at the conclusion and in 1999 Madison had a cross in its "Jesus Christ Superstar" show.

I saw the Cadets' show so many times this past year, I should have been able to fill a hole in an emergency. I don't recall seeing the "fish" in the show (the proper name for the symbol is ichthus) though I'm sure when I see the DVD version I recognize it immediately. However I will say I thought Cadets did a great job blending all the elements of Christmas in their show. I expected Santa and elves and Frosty in the show. The actual show was more substantial. The overall snapshot Cadets presented was a surprise that I think it resonated with a lot of people. Non-religious people know the religious aspects of the holiday and some even enjoy them, and religious people know the secular aspects. I am a person of faith and the religious aspects of Christmas are important to me. I also understand the secular side of Christmas. I also grew up working at my father's drugstore at a time people still shopped locally. We sold cameras, perfumes, aftershaves, toys, board games, boxed candy, Hummels and all kinds of gift items. We wanted these items to be under people's Christmas trees or wrapped in blue and gold paper making someone's Hanukkah eight days to remember. The religious aspect of Christmas is important to me, but I also know the secular side used to put food in my stomach and clothes on my back, so I can appreciate both aspects of the holiday. I think the same is true for many others too. I also think this combination is what the Cadets tried to present and did effectively.

However, I will say that Cadets themselves learned an unexpected Christmas lesson. In late October/early November we begin hearing holiday music on the radio. At first we enjoy hearing Alvin and the Chipmunks, we may even find "The Twelve Things of Christmas that are Such a Pain to Me" amusing, and we are moved when we hear Andy Williams croon "The First Noel" but by the time Christmas arrives, we've had enough of the music. This may have happened to the Cadets at the end of the season. I thought the show was stronger in Indy, but judges must have been tired of it.

• Like 2

At first we enjoy hearing Alvin and the Chipmunks...

AAARRRRGGGHHHHHH...... OK once a year is enough for my hearing....

Secular music. Blue Stars doing Jewish music with a Star of David dril design in the 70s. Wonder what comments would have been going on if DCP had been around then.

Then again..... Rochester Crusaders used to play Jesus Christ Superstar with "Garden of Gethsemane" as a middle piece. Garden was played as a brass choir piece and was moving except for the one time (that I saw) where one of the corps members was dressed as Jesus and whipped. :blink: Jusssst a bit over the line for some people in the stands. Except for a certain BoD memebr of our corps who said "You think we've tough when you're late to practice. Hell Rochester whips you."

Christmas doesn't have to be religious... many non-religious people celebrate it.

Well, that doesn't change the fact that it is a religious holiday. Heck, it has the word Christ in it.

Just as Easter has turned into something secular, it is still a religious holiday.

Anyhow...I enjoyed the show.

It's not necessary to connect with everyone every moment of a show...What's necessary is to connect with all or most with the entirety of a show.

Unless you are a corps from Concord, CA.

• Like 6