Cadet's show converted me

I'm a big ole fat, honkin', loud-mouth former Christian and I loved Cadets 2012 show. Seriously, it's the first show that got me choked up since, Goddesses forbid, Regiment's 2010 "Into the Light" show. Cheers to Cadets for taking a risk.

I would say the discussion of the merits of the play is clearly off topic and heads off in a direction that would likely elicit comments worthy of getting the thread blocked according to the rules described earlier. Let's stay on topic.

As to whether a corps would actually do the play anytime soon; of course not - it's too controversial (regardless of whether it should be). A corps might do a Darwin show, though. Or some kind of Spirit of Wonder theme with science-y things happening. Those shows could not reasonably be construed as making fun of or expressing overtly critical opinions of somebody's worldview. That's the difference.

Not really off-topic though. It's another piece of music using religious themes to tell a story. Just like this year's Cadets show. Do You Hear What I Hear, the church steeple inclusion, the angel, the Icthus, all religious symbolism. Someone else mentioned SCV's Fiddler on the Roof show, and BD's Carpe Noctem. I don't think anyone can say that one belief system is more deserving of a drum corps representation than any other. And let's not forget, Fiddler wasn't without a bit of controversy when it first came out, because of it's themes and representation of the Russian purge at the start of the 20th century.

Check out the music though for Book of Mormon, there is some stuff that could easily translate to the field.

But a corps could do the music, like Dutch Boy did in 2006 with "South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut." I will not forget that because I had to write the TEP program books press release, which stated, in part, <The corps isn’t portraying the movie…they’re just having fun with the oft-wacky music.> But the main reason I remember it is I had to employ asterisks when I got to writing about the drum feature, which was about engaging in an activity with a relative.

That was also a great show. That was 2006 if I remember right? I just remember them killing Kenny at the end of the show, that was just a fun show for the kids and fans to enjoy. Comedy in a drum corps show can be a good thing. We can't get too high brow and elitist about our art form.

I believe I know exactly what song from the movie you mean by saying many asterisks were involved in the drum solo.

Not really off-topic though. It's another piece of music using religious themes to tell a story. Just like this year's Cadets show. Do You Hear What I Hear, the church steeple inclusion, the angel, the Icthus, all religious symbolism. Someone else mentioned SCV's Fiddler on the Roof show, and BD's Carpe Noctem. I don't think anyone can say that one belief system is more deserving of a drum corps representation than any other. And let's not forget, Fiddler wasn't without a bit of controversy when it first came out, because of it's themes and representation of the Russian purge at the start of the 20th century.

Check out the music though for Book of Mormon, there is some stuff that could easily translate to the field.

I just meant that they were headed in the direction of discussing why Mormons find it offensive. All I know is many of them do find it offensive, which would be a good reason not to do it on the field. Dutch Boy's show was great; I do barely remember that. The South Park movie was focused on the F word, and was hilarious, but wouldn't offend many religious sensibilities much. I think Satan was dancing with Sadaam Hussein...

Really? Have you gone to see it live? It's supposed to be a satire and a parody, so it's supposed to be funny and edgy. It's the people that created South Park, so lots of the stuff was put in to be controversial. But there's some great music in it, and I find it extremely funny.

Yes ... really. You don't find mocking other people's religion offensive?

• Like 1

You don't see the difference between celebrating religion and mocking a particular religion in a crude way?

• Like 1

I thought this forum banned religious and politics talk. I only read the first few posts, but it was about whether baptism was required to be a Christian. I'm about ready to start telling Mitt jokes. :D

You folks either behave and follow the DCP guidelines or I'm sending you to bed tonight WITHOUT cookies!

• Like 1

A Rabbi, A Preacher and A Mormon Bishop walk into a bar.

The Rabbi ask the Preacher "What was SCV playing this year?"

The Preacher replied "I'm not sure but I really liked the Cadets Show."

Both looking at the the Mormon Bishop for response

The Mormon Bishop asked "Does this establishment serve anything without caffeine?"

• Like 4

Yes ... really. You don't find mocking other people's religion offensive?

Not really? People taking offense to something all comes down to a personal level. Everyone finds different things offensive. I think if people would open their minds once in a while, then there would less people getting "offended" over stupid stuff. And the play isn't openly mocking anything. Go watch it live. It's more about coming of age, and finding out about your own faults than bashing anything about Mormons.

Clarification to above statement. Yes, mocking other people's religious beliefs is bad, m'kay. But saying that doing a show about one group of religious beliefs and not another one is not truly fair. Either we can open the door to shows with a religious tilt, and I mean all of them, or we can't use any of them. I don't really understand why everyone has tried to change the rules to life so that some things are okay in certain situations, but not everything is okay. Guess thinking and having an open mind have becoming too challenging for the modern world

Edited by fsubone
  • Like 1