Cadet's show converted me

I just meant that they were headed in the direction of discussing why Mormons find it offensive. All I know is many of them do find it offensive, which would be a good reason not to do it on the field. Dutch Boy's show was great; I do barely remember that. The South Park movie was focused on the F word, and was hilarious, but wouldn't offend many religious sensibilities much. I think Satan was dancing with Sadaam Hussein...

Oh, okay. I wasn't trying to send it in that kind of direction, I just thought it was an interesting though. It has lots of music that would translate to the drum corps field with a bit of editing.

I'm sure there were a few who were offended by Dutch Boy's show, "How could they kill that child!" but there is always something that will offend everybody. In these modern times, it's just easier to get "offended" by something than try and expand your mind and think about something.

Satan and Saddam's relationship was pretty funny, I never expected them to be dating.

Edited by fsubone

People taking offense to something all comes down to a personal level. Everyone finds different things offensive.

But many people do find it offensive when others make fun of their religion, especial their specific group within the larger group. That much has always been true in my 50 year lifetime. Even if people are more easily offended nowadays, they were always offended by some things, and DCP's policy would have been perfectly normal many years ago.

Oh! I thought of another Cadet's example; One year, at the end of the show a dancer made the sign of the cross ... Wait I'll look it up .. wait a sec... 87! That was so classy that even though part of me went "Hey, what does that have to do with Appalachian Spring?" I was impressed.

So, I just looked it up in Wikipedia (only took me 25 years). Turns out it was a ballet he (Copland) Created with Martha Graham: "The story told is a spring celebration of the American pioneers of the 19th century after building a new Pennsylvania farmhouse. Among the central characters are a newlywed couple, a neighbor, a revivalist preacher and his followers." My question finally answered.

They were really pushing the envelope in guard uniforms too. They managed to make them elegant, country-ish, and Cadet-like at the same time. Quite lovely.

Not really? People taking offense to something all comes down to a personal level. Everyone finds different things offensive. I think if people would open their minds once in a while, then there would less people getting "offended" over stupid stuff. And the play isn't openly mocking anything. Go watch it live. It's more about coming of age, and finding out about your own faults than bashing anything about Mormons.

Clarification to above statement. Yes, mocking other people's religious beliefs is bad, m'kay. But saying that doing a show about one group of religious beliefs and not another one is not truly fair. Either we can open the door to shows with a religious tilt, and I mean all of them, or we can't use any of them. I don't really understand why everyone has tried to change the rules to life so that some things are okay in certain situations, but not everything is okay. Guess thinking and having an open mind have becoming too challenging for the modern world

Yes I have seen the show, and yes it is clearly intended to mock Mormons. I don't know how any reasonable person could watch and think it wasn't intended to do that. It may be funny, and it may not have offended you, but it was clearly intended to make fun of things that other people hold sacred.

• Like 1

Yes I have seen the show, and yes it is clearly intended to mock Mormons. I don't know how any reasonable person could watch and think it wasn't intended to do that. It may be funny, and it may not have offended you, but it was clearly intended to make fun of things that other people hold sacred.

To each their own then. I consider myself a reasonable, college educated person with an IQ that places me around the upper 10%, and I didn't find it bad at all. Yes, they intended it be controversial, no sane person can say that they didn't. But you have to know stuff like that going in. They could have gone MUCH further with their content, as shown in their cartoons, so they actually held lots of restraint, at least for them. I can't wait to see it again in LA next month. And if it offends you that much, don't go watch it ever again. No one will hold a gun to your head and force you into a seat.

It's like saying that when the Cadets put the church steeple and the angel into their show, they didn't think that, "hm, maybe someone who believes differently might find this offensive. Eh, we're doing it anyway." If you spend your entire life worrying about how everyone else feels, then you're stuck living a very safe, but extremely hollow life of no meaning.

• Like 1

Now I want to see a Flying Spaghetti Monster show!

Think about the drill formations! And the musical choices! "On Top of Spaghetti, All Covered in Cheese...."

• Like 1

But many people do find it offensive when others make fun of their religion, especial their specific group within the larger group. That much has always been true in my 50 year lifetime. Even if people are more easily offended nowadays, they were always offended by some things, and DCP's policy would have been perfectly normal many years ago.

Oh! I thought of another Cadet's example; One year, at the end of the show a dancer made the sign of the cross ... Wait I'll look it up .. wait a sec... 87! That was so classy that even though part of me went "Hey, what does that have to do with Appalachian Spring?" I was impressed.

So, I just looked it up in Wikipedia (only took me 25 years). Turns out it was a ballet he (Copland) Created with Martha Graham: "The story told is a spring celebration of the American pioneers of the 19th century after building a new Pennsylvania farmhouse. Among the central characters are a newlywed couple, a neighbor, a revivalist preacher and his followers." My question finally answered.

They were really pushing the envelope in guard uniforms too. They managed to make them elegant, country-ish, and Cadet-like at the same time. Quite lovely.

There was also small stuff like that in SCV's show in 2009. Both stayed pretty close to the content and spirit of the original Ballet for Martha. Both great shows. The original piece of music is also supposed to represent their wedding day, beginning with the sun coming up, and ending with them walking into their new home as a married couple. Try and find video of the original ballet, it's moving stuff.

Some people will always be offended, no matter what people do. I'm sure there were people who thought the Cadets floated a big middle finger across the field this summer instead of a fish, but you can't design your shows to always make the 1% happy who might get mad about a decision. You have to design for the 99% who either won't care enough to get offended or agree with you. And the Cadets really pulled it off in a classy manner. They could have walked out and done an entire show around a Christmas Eve Mass, complete with bishop and altar boys, but they didn't. They focused on the bigger picture of Christmas, and you can't really talk about the holiday without including some kind of religious reference.

Edited by fsubone

The Cadets have had religious undertones in their shows for a while, it was just more obvious this year. Every time I listen to the 2007 show the "athlete of God" statement makes me turn my head, and then there were some more references in 2008's narration. Don't forget that their roots in Garfield's Church of the Most Holy Name still run pretty deep, even though the corps membership itself is non-sectarian.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I've always wondered if a Jewish-themed show might offend Palestinians.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I've always wondered if a Jewish-themed show might offend Palestinians.

Ask anyone whose used Fiddler on the Roof in a show, or Hava Nagila. I don't think it's ever really been a problem, I'm not sure if Palestinians represent a large portion of the drum corps community