Cadet's show converted me

Not to mention last year's angel.

Who apparently got lost, and wandered back into this year's show. Did someone not inform her that she had vanquished all her foes last year? MAybe she was worried that Indy is too close to Whoville, and that the Grinch would show up and she would have to lay the smack down on him as well! :fight:

• Like 3

I was perfectly ok with the semi-religious theme of their show. I actually thought it was pretty ballsy.

• Like 2

I must have been a choir boy because I remember playing, God Must Be Tryin' To Tell You Something, Precious Lord, Amazing Grace and Salvation Is Created... ALL this daily for one of the years I marched and never heard any controversy.

There was more controversy with the African drum solo and the burning confederate rebel flags on the field. And the guard in those simple plain white dresses.

Edited by Kevin Powell
  • Like 1

I do wonder if it affected the way staff members communicated any dissatisfaction with performance during rehearsal. I mean, who would sleep well after yelling "why the **** do you ***** keep ******* up the **** jesus fish?"

They need to put feet on that fish! :laugh:

They need to put feet on that fish! :laugh:

Just realised that the fish had feet, about 160 of them or there abouts.

A subliminal "this ain't no jesus fish" message from the Cadets perhaps......

What a strange little thread. I think I'll dip my toe into this one (why? why?)

1. The Santa Clara Fiddler On The Roof show from 92, Star of Indiana's Zingali crosses, and various Cadets not-so-subtle inclusions over the years did indeed generate controversy. In the pre-web days, there just weren't enough of them to get a letter published in Drum Corps World (that I know of, but I certainly didn't read all of them). Nowadays any opinion gets published. In fact, didn't Rondinaro and DeLucia call the fish move controversial in the theater show (quarterfinals)? Something was controversial, I don't remember exactly what. Anyway, I remember years ago having to defend drum corps against the accusation of it being a religious activity because of the Star crosses at least.

2. The corps can put whatever they want on the field, so even if they want to do a Become A Christian Now show, they can certainly do it. Their own by-laws and boards of directors, and any state non-profit issues notwithstanding.

3. I do wonder if Jewish people join the cadets from an audition tape, then show up and pick up the uniform with the patch (which last time I saw has a cross on it, a modern homage to the church origins of the corps) and start singing the "Holy Name" anthem with "Amen". That's an awkward phone call home, eh? "What's that on the arm, sweetie? Hold it up to the skype thingie... WHAAAAAT!" The easy solution, of course, is to send along a note about these references to anyone auditioning in case there is a problem. I just hope they do this.

4. Also in the quarterfinals tape, they asked the show designer how they picked that show, and he said that the director George Hopkins wanted to do it, they said No that won't work ("Everybody knows you can't do a Christmas show" or some such), and he (Hopkins) had said "Who signs your paychecks?" He he.