Cadet's show converted me

I specifically said it was hard to do a Christmas show without something like that showing up.

Why is one show-appropriate drill form that lasted all of eight (give or take) counts creating such a fuss among anyone? It's not like the corps formed a giant raised middle finger on the field and then put out a press release explaining that it was directed at everyone who isn't of a certain belief system.

Was anyone offended when the corps took on its original name for its 75th anniversary? (Do I really want to know the answer to that?)

Should global warming deniers get upset that Crossmen's silhouettes represented mankind's carbon footprint? Should others be upset that I wrote "mankind's" instead of "humanity's"? Should disciples of Jillian Michaels be mad at me because I'm fat?

With all the things we need to fix, this isn't one of them.

I'm not making a fuss, and wasn't offended at all. I myself am a Christian and don't mind public displays of religion. But it seemed like you were suggesting that the show design didn't have overt religious allusions, when it clearly did. A Jesus fish (or Ichtus) is not a Christmas symbol. It is a Christian symbol, more commonly associated with the end of Christ's life, not the beginning.

I just don't think we should be pretending that The Cadets show was anything other than what it was. It was a show that had overt allusions to Christianity that are not traditionally part of Christmas.

• Like 1

3. I do wonder if Jewish people join the cadets from an audition tape, then show up and pick up the uniform with the patch (which last time I saw has a cross on it, a modern homage to the church origins of the corps) and start singing the "Holy Name" anthem with "Amen". That's an awkward phone call home, eh? "What's that on the arm, sweetie? Hold it up to the skype thingie... WHAAAAAT!" The easy solution, of course, is to send along a note about these references to anyone auditioning in case there is a problem. I just hope they do this.

I have wondered the same thing, but was afraid making a new thread about this would be shut down because it was about "religion." Do corps members know the show design before the audition? I imagine it might be uncomfortable for some Jewish, Atheist, or other non-Christian participants to be in a show with an overt religious message. I guess there are some corps that you would just expect that to be a possibility with when you audition.

Edited by jasgre2000

I'm not making a fuss, and wasn't offended at all. I myself am a Christian and don't mind public displays of religion. But it seemed like you were suggesting that the show design didn't have overt religious allusions, when it clearly did. A Jesus fish (or Ichtus) is not a Christmas symbol. It is a Christian symbol, more commonly associated with the end of Christ's life, not the beginning.

I just don't think we should be pretending that The Cadets show was anything other than what it was. It was a show that had overt allusions to Christianity that are not traditionally part of Christmas.

Uh...please read again what I wrote. I never stated nor implied that there were no overt religious allusions; that wasn't the purpose of my post. I simply stated that it was my belief that it wasn't worth the energy to get upside by any such moments, and that there was nothing that needed to be fixed.

Perhaps the Ichthus showed up in the drill because there weren't enough members in the drill to spell out, "LET'S HEAR IT FOR JESUS!!!"

And yes; the above comment is said in jest...I think.

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 3

I too can see how one might be "Converted" by the Cadets.

Roman Emperor Constantine would have enjoyed this show.

Part 1: Show opens with cheesy yet current trends and traditions of christmas of 2012. These are polytheistic or indigenous to us and the Romans, as they had celebrated the winter solstice with a feast called Saturnalia in honor of Saturnus, the god of agriculture.

Part 2: An obvious change to a secular direction, overlaid onto "Part 1" of the show. (mix of Roman and Christian)

Part 1. We get a human christmas tree and spinning "gift boxes" and introduced to those giant gift slides..

Part 2: We get the hymns, with words we know to be specifically religious. The giant slides become roof tops and a church steeple appears... (Rooftops for Santa and Church Steeple for the other bearded man)

Part 2. "Do you hear what I hear" sounds off the change in the show.. The guard removes all their lovely glitter costumes (Roman feast, and leaves on a more muted color tone, for worship).

Ending:: We get the "male" Angle Gabriel, acted out by a female guard member, a Jesus fish? Then a crown for the king. And back to the Egyptian/Roman Tree of Life of the winter solstice.

And last we get the Star of Bethlehem over the Roman/Egyptian tree of life.

I think thats the story line, in that order.

Edited by Cop
  • Like 1

I have wondered the same thing, but was afraid making a new thread about this would be shut down because it was about "religion." Do corps members know the show design before the audition? I imagine it might be uncomfortable for some Jewish, Atheist, or other non-Christian participants to be in a show with an overt religious message. I guess there are some corps that you would just expect that to be a possibility with when you audition.

And I bet there were way more Christians than non-Christians (what with this being America and all) in Santa Clara when they did the Fiddler show, complete with Stars of David on the flags and in the drill. Same thing applies; I would hope they let current and prospective members (and their parents) know before hand.

And of course, who can forget Satan's Minions, who delight us each year with their human sacrifices and pentagrams. The only problem with their show is that by sacrificing a corps member at each show, there are too many holes in the program by finals. And of course, they would prefer to sacrifice virgins, but this being drum corps, there aren't any. Over to you.

• Like 1

At first I thought this thread was pretty much tongue-in-cheek, but it keeps going and going...now I'm not sure.

So, does "religion" offend you? If so, why? I find it funny that those who seem to think they're the most open-minded and "inclusive" are also at the front of the line to claim something offends them. Seems like a contradiction.

If we're the inclusive and tolerant society we say we want to be, then, discussions of religion are to be celebrated as part of our diverse quilt, aren't they? If I'm a Christian and I tolerate a show about atheism, and someone else is an atheist and tolerates a "overtly religious" show, then we're where we want to be, right??

So, my two cents on this is, if you're offended.... you shouldn't be. You should instead be celebrating the diversity of our nation. There was nothing in this show that was critical of the non-religious, was there?

• Like 5

At first I thought this thread was pretty much tongue-in-cheek, but it keeps going and going...now I'm not sure.

So, does "religion" offend you? If so, why? I find it funny that those who seem to think they're the most open-minded and "inclusive" are also at the front of the line to claim something offends them. Seems like a contradiction.

If we're the inclusive and tolerant society we say we want to be, then, discussions of religion are to be celebrated as part of our diverse quilt, aren't they? If I'm a Christian and I tolerate a show about atheism, and someone else is an atheist and tolerates a "overtly religious" show, then we're where we want to be, right??

So, my two cents on this is, if you're offended.... you shouldn't be. You should instead be celebrating the diversity of our nation. There was nothing in this show that was critical of the non-religious, was there?

I find it humorous that so much great music was written directly for the church and those songs are not considered offensive. I guess Bach is the best example of this.

• Like 3

I guess you missed the drill evolution representing the stoning of non-believers in the 9th Century and the burning of the villages that tolerated their thoughts. :rolleyes:

• Like 3

I guess you missed the drill evolution representing the stoning of non-believers in the 9th Century and the burning of the villages that tolerated their thoughts. :rolleyes:

You know, I did miss that. I was in such a state because there was a 2012 drum corps playing an entire performance of music I actually recognized that I wasn't myself. I was all verklempt. I'll look for it in the dvds.