Not entirely sure where to post this..

Ultimately it is up to you, of course, but I can give you my perspective on the current etiquette as a (very) recent ageout.

I wouldn't put patches from years you didn't march. Whoever called it "false advertising" was spot-on. As something generally available only to the membership, corps jackets are something very special and treasured, like the gears/beads/crowns/deltas/etc that so many people wear around their necks. Not only would it be a sort of "false advertising" on your part, but members who marched those years and know you didn't might resent you for putting that on the jacket. I know I'd raise an eyebrow if I saw someone do it for the corps and years that I marched.

For the WGI patches, that's more of an "at your discretion" thing. Personally, I think it'd be cool to have all your patches on one jacket if they fit, but I also know some people who keep them separate.

For what it's worth, you don't always have to have all your patches on there! I haven't put any on my corps jacket yet, and I don't plan to put any of the regional patches on. I'm just going to put my 4 finalist patches on once I get a replacement for 2011 (lost mine on the way home from finals :unhappy: ). My thinking is that it'll be visually neater and less cluttered that way, and maybe make it something I'm more likely to wear instead of hanging in a closet forever.

Yeah I mean I won't put ALL of them on I just want to put like the 2012 DCI season one, a Corps exclusive they gave us and also the Open Class patch. And If I do put on my WGI ones it'll just be the year patches.

Speaking of. When do the 2012 DCI ones go on sale? Anyone know?

Not especially related, but the corps I marched has a no-patches-on-your-jacket policy.

This is probably the "correct" rule to follow. It really depends on your corps, which probably has some fairly defined rules. Each corps has it's own idea of what the jacket should mean and many corps even have different ideas based on what era/decade the person marched. Probably the best person to talk to are the most current drum major or horn/drum/guard sergeant/captain of the group you were with.

One thing I have seen though, is black jackets people get on there own that are completely full of patches. It shows a love and support of the marching arts without speaking for or representing any particular corps. This may not be an answer for you if you're a current member or recent age out, but something you might consider for times you aren't specifically associated with a corps, percussion, or guard.

So I just received my Drum Corps jacket yesterday. And I have many patches that I've bought over the years and also the ones from this year.

My question is I collected patches from years I didn't march like 2011 and 2010 and I also march WGI and I have patches from there too. Is it weird to have those patches on my corps jacket? Because for the WGI ones my group has no jacket. To me having a jacket for WGI is kind of weird but I digress. Is it weird to have patches from years I didn't march and from WGI on my drum corps jacket? I know someone who marched Vanguard and Blue Devils and she has her Vanguard patches on her BD jacket.

Also does anyone know when are the 2012 DCI patches going on sale? I didn't have money at the time to buy them :/

The best answer I could give would be to ask vets in your corps. It seems like most corps have 'protocol' with that type of thing, or at the very least maybe you'll find you the consensus of your corps is "it doesn't matter too much." My corps had their own 'traditions' and such with patches, and I learned them from the vets who marched before me. It's always cool to see decades' worth of vets of a corps wearing jackets going back to before I knew about the activity and all the jackets were similar: different patches (for different years), but generally the same "uniform" look.

This reminds me (probably because no other thread came close to doing so) of me showing up at the first Drum Corps Midwest Championship in 1978, wearing a Phantom Regiment Beethoven t-shirt under my Cavaliers t-shirt. When I was walking down the street to the stadium from my car, someone wearing a Belleville Black Knights jacket jumped out of his car with a camera and said something like, "I've got to take a picture of you. No one back home will believe it." I didn't understand why it was considered such a big deal. However, when I went to the Cavaliers souvie booth, I was told by someone I really respected that if I didn't want to create a scene, I needed to zip up the jacket.

That's when I realized that some people do take corps jackets very, very seriously.

So I just received my Drum Corps jacket yesterday. And I have many patches that I've bought over the years and also the ones from this year.

My question is I collected patches from years I didn't march like 2011 and 2010 and I also march WGI and I have patches from there too. Is it weird to have those patches on my corps jacket? Because for the WGI ones my group has no jacket. To me having a jacket for WGI is kind of weird but I digress. Is it weird to have patches from years I didn't march and from WGI on my drum corps jacket? I know someone who marched Vanguard and Blue Devils and she has her Vanguard patches on her BD jacket.

Also does anyone know when are the 2012 DCI patches going on sale? I didn't have money at the time to buy them :/

Please don't wear it to high school marching band competitions. Simple conversations do so much more than sporting a jacket. Obviously this isn't a rule or anything, just my $0.02.

• Like 2

Please don't wear it to high school marching band competitions. Simple conversations do so much more than sporting a jacket. Obviously this isn't a rule or anything, just my $0.02.

I'm with you on that one. It's mainly just for me.

Another thing to think about, I know corps members that have "lost" their jacket with all the patches on it. Some are impossible to replace, you may want to wait until you ageout, then maybe even buy a new jacket to put all your patches on. Jackets do get kinda beat up during the touring season. In addition, treat your jacket the same way you treat your uniform...with pride and respect. Fold it nicely...don't just throw it on the floor when you walk in your room.

Yeah I never got around to getting patches at shows. Anyone know where I can get them?