Amazing Improvment

Found this on CorpsReps and I believe this has to belong in the "WOW" category. Now, this isnt about pointing fingers at judging back in the day, but come on. This has to be the most amazing come-back of all time, or they just had a bad day at the A.L. Nats. Maybe seeing Hawthorne was their wake-up call. All this and the corps comes in second at Lewiston. Whatever. I mean, a lot can happen in 7 days if you buckle down, no?

Long time ago, so who knows. It does border on surreal, dont you think? Or maybe CorpsReps just got some bad info.

Again, not serious about this, just thought it was an eye opener.

Just don't take it too serious.

1963 Scores for Portland Comets Portland, OR

Inactive Senior Corps Did you march Portland Comets?

Repertoires Picture Gallery History Scores Members

Repertoire unavailable

Scores for 1963

Date Show Position Score

September 8 American Legion National Championships Miami FL (10) 29.883

September 15 Northern NE Drum and Bugle Corps Association Championship Lewiston ME Northern NE D & B Association

(2) 60.650

Edited by gsksun4

A lot more depended on tolerance levels back then and how fast the judge could deal out the ticks. The later panel may have been slower. The panel was likely very different as well, the sheets could even have been different.

I agree with the above plus the Legion judges prolly ran onto the field yelling Take No Prisoners!.

Edited by gsksun4

Scores for 1963

Date Show Position Score

September 15 Northern NE Drum and Bugle Corps Association Championship Lewiston ME Northern NE D & B Association

(2) 60.650

-------------------------------------------------

Or a link to the wrong Comets? Kinda doubt that a corps from Oregon went to the Championship show in Maine.

I love corpsreps and using it now for research but once in a while something like this comes up. In the thousands of scores gotta be an "wait a minute" here and there.

Edit: Just read the article from Nancis blog from the link. Article has Comets from Norway-Paris (no state given).

Darn... like the big score gap mystery better.

Man this is like my job.... look at prgram code and try to figure out what doesn't match or looks weird....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Scores for 1963

Date Show Position Score

(2) 60.650

-------------------------------------------------

Or a link to the wrong Comets? Kinda doubt that a corps from Oregon went to the Championship show in Maine.

I love corpsreps and using it now for research but once in a while something like this comes up. In the thousands of scores gotta be an "wait a minute" here and there.

Edit: Just read the article from Nancis blog from the link. Article has Comets from Norway-Paris (no state given).

Darn... like the big score gap mystery better.

Man this is like my job.... look at prgram code and try to figure out what doesn't match or looks weird....

Maybe Norway-Paris is a suburb of Portland, Maine. Heh.

I too like the mystery better, but that would be a heck of a bus ride now that you mention it.

Maybe Norway-Paris is a suburb of Portland, Maine. Heh.

I too like the mystery better, but that would be a heck of a bus ride now that you mention it.

Hey I was in Portland, ME twice. Once flying in and once flying out for work.

Only memoriable thing was my work buddy bought a refurbished huge power drill at the Kitterey outlets. He tried to take it on as carry on and made it as far as the x-ray scanner. You could see the conveyor belt go forwards... stop.. and the back up. Then we noticed the security guy straightening up and saying "Sir?". Drill looked like a big handgun so they tagged it as regular luggage and held up the plane for 15 minutes while the change was made.

There we all (30-40 people on a turboprop) are just sitting and only two of us know why. After a while you see a luggage cart hauling tail to the plane with the drill box on the drivers lap. Guy jumps out, you hear the cargo doors slam and 10 minutes later we're in the air.

Man what a horrible trip, turboprop between Harrisburg-BWI and BWI-Portland, ME. About 6 hours of "RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" in your ear, and as Gov't empoyees we had the cheapest seats right by the propeller. Sick part was flying to BWI and the pilot says "and below is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania". This was about 4 hours before the NEXT plane was due to land at Harrisburg. ("Give me a #### parachute!")

Edited by JimF-LowBari

well A.L. nats jugdes always had their own rules and judging technique. i can believe it.

While the two corps mentioned above are certainly different units, the "WOW" factor between the prelims and finals in Miami is even more interesting, although in reverse...

The Portland (OR)Comets scored a 52.10 in the prelims, while they dropped to a 29.883 in the finals. I thought it might have just been a glitch, but I noticed that the St. Peter (MN) Govenaires were just ahead of the Comets in both shows. They got a 54.516 in the prelims and dropped to a 30.883 in the finals.

All the scores went down between prelims and finals, but the gap got greater as you go down the line. For example, the winning corps (Hawthorne) dropped around two points between prelims and finals.

While the two corps mentioned above are certainly different units, the "WOW" factor between the prelims and finals in Miami is even more interesting, although in reverse...

The Portland (OR)Comets scored a 52.10 in the prelims, while they dropped to a 29.883 in the finals. I thought it might have just been a glitch, but I noticed that the St. Peter (MN) Govenaires were just ahead of the Comets in both shows. They got a 54.516 in the prelims and dropped to a 30.883 in the finals.

Man... talk about changing tolerance levels! :tongue:

well A.L. nats jugdes always had their own rules and judging technique. i can believe it.

Totally agree, Don... there were some wacky results through the years at those shows.