Amazing Improvment

1963 Scores for Portland Comets Portland, OR

Scores for 1963

Date Show Position Score

September 8 American Legion National Championships Miami FL (10) 29.883

September 15 Northern NE Drum and Bugle Corps Association Championship Lewiston ME Northern NE D & B Association

(2) 60.650

-------------------------------------------------

Or a link to the wrong Comets? Kinda doubt that a corps from Oregon went to the Championship show in Maine.

I love corpsreps and using it now for research but once in a while something like this comes up. In the thousands of scores gotta be an "wait a minute" here and there.

Edit: Just read the article from Nancis blog from the link. Article has Comets from Norway-Paris (no state given).

Darn... like the big score gap mystery better.

Man this is like my job.... look at prgram code and try to figure out what doesn't match or looks weird....

I looked in the Hurcs score archive and it has the Indiana Comets listed in 10th....prelims & finals. Also checked out Indiana...there are towns called Norway and Paris... that supports the info on Nanci's Blog. Corps Reps may have an error...don't know more than that.

I looked in the Hurcs score archive and it has the Indiana Comets listed in 10th....prelims & finals. Also checked out Indiana...there are towns called Norway and Paris... that supports the info on Nanci's Blog. Corps Reps may have an error...don't know more than that.

You're probably correct. I checked further into my little archives and there are several references to the Comets competing in Ohio shows during the early Sixties, as well as in the A.L. Nationals in Miami Beach in 1960. The Comets are listed as being the Portland, Indiana Comets, rather than Portland, Oregon.

Of course, that still doesn't answer the question of which Comets competed in that Northern New England Association show up in Maine, but probably not the Comets from Indiana. It may be a bit far-fetched, but the only Comets I can think of from that area during that time period were the I.C. Comets from Salem, Mass. - a Class C feeder corps for the I.C. Rockets. While it's true that they were a Class C feeder corps, they were quite good and certainly would have been able to compete effectively against the Maine corps of that era.

It may be a bit far-fetched, but the only Comets I can think of from that area during that time period were the I.C. Comets from Salem, Mass. - a Class C feeder corps for the I.C. Rockets. While it's true that they were a Class C feeder corps, they were quite good and certainly would have been able to compete effectively against the Maine corps of that era.

Andy, would that feeder corps (I.C. Comets) be a senior corps? That division of the competition in N.E. was for senior corps.

Position Corps Score

DIVISION SR B

1 Blue Falcons (ME) 62.800

2 Portland Comets 60.650

Edited by gsksun4

Andy, would that feeder corps (I.C. Comets) be a senior corps? That division of the competition in N.E. was for senior corps.

Position Corps Score

DIVISION SR B

1 Blue Falcons (ME) 62.800

2 Portland Comets 60.650

No, you're correct. They were most certainly not a senior corps. The oldest kid in the I.C. Comets was probably no more than eleven or twelve years old.

• 3 weeks later...

The Comets in the 1963 Legion Nationals were from Portland, Indiana.

The other Comets were a senior corps from Norway/Paris, Maine.

Oh, and there is no surprise that scores in the Legion finals would be lower than prelims. Prelims were shorter drills, so less time for execution judges to count up ticks.

• 9 years later...