Did VK fold?

I'm not a VK alum, so, not really my place here, but... they've been going at this for what, 7 years now?

Seems it has been enough time for these guys to prove they can hit even a minimum watermark of the worst year of the original VK (33rd place their absolute worst year... and current iteration struggles to even meet that), it's time for radical change or to pack it in.

If they can't put something out that is as good or better than the absolute worst point of the original, how are they deserving of the name?

If, for example, someone decided to step in and create a corps in Mass named 27th Lancers and they were in similar shape to the current VK, alumni and fans would lose their ####. How is this any different?

Seems like it is time for an organized effort on the part of original VK alum... hit some specific milestones by a certain point or lose the name.

Wow; we actually agree on something! I guess it shows that even the Ying and Yang share at least a small line together. :tongue:

• Like 2

wtf? they have to live up to old VK? Complete with its problems with the IRS? maybe you should post in the world class group because what you say makes it seem that even if they do well in open class they will never do any justice to the VK name, as if the kids should do the activity for the alumni and their expectations!

• Like 2

wtf? they have to live up to old VK? Complete with its problems with the IRS? maybe you should post in the world class group because what you say makes it seem that even if they do well in open class they will never do any justice to the VK name, as if the kids should do the activity for the alumni and their expectations!

What the D-Ray was referring to was the quality performance aspects of the old VK 'not' the financial aspects. I cannot believe I am defending the D-Ray here (if you knew our posting history you would understand that quip).

• Like 1

I'm not a VK alum, so, not really my place here, but... they've been going at this for what, 7 years now?

Seems it has been enough time for these guys to prove they can hit even a minimum watermark of the worst year of the original VK (33rd place their absolute worst year... and current iteration struggles to even meet that), it's time for radical change or to pack it in.

If they can't put something out that is as good or better than the absolute worst point of the original, how are they deserving of the name?

If, for example, someone decided to step in and create a corps in Mass named 27th Lancers and they were in similar shape to the current VK, alumni and fans would lose their ####. How is this any different?

Seems like it is time for an organized effort on the part of original VK alum... hit some specific milestones by a certain point or lose the name.

Maybe it's time to tell the two Racine corps (Scouts and Kilties) to pack it in too.

• Like 1

Maybe it's time to tell the two Racine corps (Scouts and Kilties) to pack it in too.

Have these two corps been ran financially responsible and honored the historical names of their respective corps? If so, then they are fine; if not, then yep they would need to pack it in.

Have these two corps been ran financially responsible and honored the historical names of their respective corps? If so, then they are fine; if not, then yep they would need to pack it in.

VK is mostly remembered for doing silly shows with giant paper mache sharks, not their competitive placements. Even their very best shows would not make finals today. They're also remembered for folding with such a serious tax debt that a corps named "Velvet Knights" can never exist again.

Are either of you VK alums? If so I understand your opinion. If not, you're completely out of line, especially because the current VK corps was founded by original VK alums, and from everything I have seen or heard, old VK alums want very badly for this corps to succeed and would be greatly saddened if it folded.

• Like 1

I am an 84 and 85 VK alum. Yes, the alumni are quite split on this. The first attempt was Impulse, which is a very entertaining corps and toured local, and is a past national champion in their division. The new VK has done a credible job and will continue to do so, the best that they can. Their hearts are in the right place and they were scoring quite well in their division this year. I would love to see a merger between the smaller corps in SoCal, but the managements are very determined in their own perspectives, which is also a good thing. I wish them all the best, always!

Our drum corps world is much to fragile for petty problems, rumors and egos. As our old director used to say...Cut The Bull****!

• Like 1

I am an 84 and 85 VK alum. Yes, the alumni are quite split on this. The first attempt was Impulse, which is a very entertaining corps and toured local, and is a past national champion in their division. The new VK has done a credible job and will continue to do so, the best that they can. Their hearts are in the right place and they were scoring quite well in their division this year. I would love to see a merger between the smaller corps in SoCal, but the managements are very determined in their own perspectives, which is also a good thing. I wish them all the best, always!

Our drum corps world is much to fragile for petty problems, rumors and egos. As our old director used to say...Cut The Bull****!

Here is a link to a quite famous photo in VK Land: I would post it but I think it violates DCP etiquette.

Give up the name because they are not as competitive as the worst scoring of the corps that preceeded them? This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read on DCP.

Thankfully, the Blue Stars didnt follow that road map.

• Like 1

Hold on thaaaar, Baba Looey!

The Kilts appear to be stable and fiscally responsible. They do what they do in DCA and are liked. Placements, not the best, but they do seem to have a stable structure that keeps them afloat. There's also not the stew of drama, inept management and lack of stable financing that seems to be the issues with VK and the Racine Scouts.

So, pulling them into that categlory might be more a tad unfair, huh?

I'm saying that just as an observer- I have no fingers in the Kiltie's apple pie/vested interest, man. :satisfied: