What was the best winning brassline of the last 25 years?

171 members have voted

1. 1. What was the overall best winning brassline of the last 25 years?

• 2012 Carolina Crown
    • 2011 Carolina Crown
    • 2010 Blue Devils
    • 2009 Carolina Crown
    • 2008 Blue Devils
    • 2007 Blue Devils
    • 2006 Cavaliers
    • 2005 Cadets
    • 2004 Blue Devils
    • 2003 Blue Devils
    • 2002 Cavaliers
    • 2001 Blue Devils
    • 2000 Cadets
    • 1999 Blue Devils
    • 1998 Blue Devils
    • 1997 Blue Devils
    • 1996 Phantom Regiment
    • 1995 Blue Devils
    • 1994 Blue Devils
    • 1993 Blue Devils
    • 1992 Star of Indiana
    • 1991 Star of Indiana
    • 1990 Star of Indiana
    • 1989 Phantom Regiment
    • 1988 Madison Scouts
  2. 2. What was the loudest winning brassline of the last 25 years?

• 2012 Carolina Crown
    • 2011 Carolina Crown
    • 2010 Blue Devils
    • 2009 Carolina Crown
    • 2008 Blue Devils
    • 2007 Blue Devils
    • 2006 Cavaliers
    • 2005 Cadets
    • 2004 Blue Devils
    • 2003 Blue Devils
    • 2002 Cavaliers
    • 2001 Blue Devils
    • 2000 Cadets
    • 1999 Blue Devils
    • 1998 Blue Devils
    • 1997 Blue Devils
    • 1996 Phantom Regiment
    • 1995 Blue Devils
    • 1994 Blue Devils
    • 1993 Blue Devils
    • 1992 Star of Indiana
    • 1991 Star of Indiana
    • 1990 Star of Indiana
    • 1989 Phantom Regiment
    • 1988 Madison Scouts

Flammaster - I think you might have years mixed up as I am pretty sure Garfield won drums in 1987 with a perfect score.

I thought SCV won in 87 period. Except drums because BD clobbered everyone.

No, SCV and Garfield tied for horns, I believe SCV took GE, and Garfield got the perfect score in percussion, which put them on top I think

Am I the only one here who thought the hornlines of Crown 2009/2011 were actually slightly better than 2012? Yes the 2012 book was more difficult (although way less effective for me), but I thought 09 and 11 had a higher quality. As far as the 2000's go though, I still think 02 Cavaliers and 04 Devils are a tad better than all of Crown's Otts so far. But they are all incredible regardless.

• Like 1

When it comes to best hornline, I say Cavaliers 2002 hands down. I've never heard an ensemble in this activity play with as much quality as that corps. Listening to them was like drinking a milkshake. Extremely smooth and easy to listen to.

Crown 2012 was amazing. The corps was louder and played more difficult music, but they didn't have nearly as much control as the Cavaliers did.

If I could pick both I definitely would.

Edited by tabadabadoo
  • Like 2

Okay, I just cannot agree with people saying 2002 Cavies. Sorry, I just can't.

I can not argue that their sound, and quality, and control were absolutely amazing. But they didn't take any risks!!!!!

And also, playing at extreme volumes is a part of being a brass player. If you cannot project, then sorry you're not all that great. I know a trombone player that had great range, great technical abilities, and a great sound... all at a max volume of mezzo piano. That's just not good enough. Playing loud is a major part of brass playing. If you can't do it, and maintain control, you got a lot to work on. Listen to the best orchestras, listen to the Berlin Phil on YouTube, they sure do go for it, they are pushing the limits of themselves and the hunk of metal in their hands, live in performance on the highest levels in professional music! Where is that in drum corps? GO FOR IT!!!! That's what we are missing in drum corps today!

There is a lot of playing it safe for the sake of quality in marching band, drum corps, colleges, high schools, you name it. But you are missing out on teaching so much more! How do you maintain that quality at the extreme volumes. It goes the other way too. There are many bands who just play in the mezzo range all the time, because they are afraid to explore the low end. It's a great opportunity to teach your students more about playing their instruments. it's not going to sound good at first. But you have to start somewhere. Give them the information they need to know, then give them time to work on it. In this it has to be ready now society we are losing so much in education. Let your students explore bad sounds. Teach them why they made that bad sound, and how to fix it! I love hearing a student of mine go for it. And fail. Then I can really jump in and do some teaching!

• Like 1

Not sure if it was clarified about 1995. And no disrespect to anyone, but 1995 was a three way tie. This happened due to Dci averaging the scores from all three nights. I was the brass caption head for the Cadets that summer. We won brass outright on Friday night. The Devils were great on Saturday and Madison was hot all week:-). (Thus a 3-way tie. There are pictures of me and my staff with the Jim Ott trophy if you need proof. )

Sincerely,

Larry Markiewicz past brass caption head of the Cadets and enjoying my first summer of retirement from drum corps!

• Like 4

Ears are still bleeding from cadets 2000

That finals run was less than stellar by that brass line though.

Not sure if it was clarified about 1995. And no disrespect to anyone, but 1995 was a three way tie. This happened due to Dci averaging the scores from all three nights. I was the brass caption head for the Cadets that summer. We won brass outright on Friday night. The Devils were great on Saturday and Madison was hot all week:-). (Thus a 3-way tie. There are pictures of me and my staff with the Jim Ott trophy if you need proof. )

Sincerely,

Larry Markiewicz past brass caption head of the Cadets and enjoying my first summer of retirement from drum corps!

Larry, they dont care about facts here. Just whats trendy and interesting and sounds good.

G

Am I the only one here who thought the hornlines of Crown 2009/2011 were actually slightly better than 2012? Yes the 2012 book was more difficult (although way less effective for me), but I thought 09 and 11 had a higher quality. As far as the 2000's go though, I still think 02 Cavaliers and 04 Devils are a tad better than all of Crown's Otts so far. But they are all incredible regardless.

I totally agree. '09 was the epitome of DCI brass as far as I've heard it, all around. It helps that they weren't running around the field quite as much.

• Like 1