What was the best winning brassline of the last 25 years?

171 members have voted

1. 1. What was the overall best winning brassline of the last 25 years?

• 2012 Carolina Crown
    • 2011 Carolina Crown
    • 2010 Blue Devils
    • 2009 Carolina Crown
    • 2008 Blue Devils
    • 2007 Blue Devils
    • 2006 Cavaliers
    • 2005 Cadets
    • 2004 Blue Devils
    • 2003 Blue Devils
    • 2002 Cavaliers
    • 2001 Blue Devils
    • 2000 Cadets
    • 1999 Blue Devils
    • 1998 Blue Devils
    • 1997 Blue Devils
    • 1996 Phantom Regiment
    • 1995 Blue Devils
    • 1994 Blue Devils
    • 1993 Blue Devils
    • 1992 Star of Indiana
    • 1991 Star of Indiana
    • 1990 Star of Indiana
    • 1989 Phantom Regiment
    • 1988 Madison Scouts
  2. 2. What was the loudest winning brassline of the last 25 years?

• 2012 Carolina Crown
    • 2011 Carolina Crown
    • 2010 Blue Devils
    • 2009 Carolina Crown
    • 2008 Blue Devils
    • 2007 Blue Devils
    • 2006 Cavaliers
    • 2005 Cadets
    • 2004 Blue Devils
    • 2003 Blue Devils
    • 2002 Cavaliers
    • 2001 Blue Devils
    • 2000 Cadets
    • 1999 Blue Devils
    • 1998 Blue Devils
    • 1997 Blue Devils
    • 1996 Phantom Regiment
    • 1995 Blue Devils
    • 1994 Blue Devils
    • 1993 Blue Devils
    • 1992 Star of Indiana
    • 1991 Star of Indiana
    • 1990 Star of Indiana
    • 1989 Phantom Regiment
    • 1988 Madison Scouts

2012 Carolina Crown wasn't even the loudest horn line of 2012. And they aren't the loudest Crown horn line I've heard since I've been watching live shows since 2005. 2006 Crown played mighty loud. 08 blew the stands back at Bloomington.

Were they loud?? #### yeah. I think the Cadets and BD were louder. One of the best frickin lines I ever heard though.

And I'm sure there were some brass winning line BITD that were louder than Crown today. I've heard 96 Regiment was quite loud. Don't know from experience... just what I've heard from others. And I've also heard BD 96 might just be the loudest line ever. But they didn't win brass. I heard Spirit 80 was earth shattering volume.

About Cavies 02. Yes, great quality and control. But they never really explored those upper dynamic levels. I feel like Crown wins because they have just as good if not better quality and control, and play 10 times louder than Cavies. And they are playing some hard ####. Not that Cavies weren't... they were never too flashy. And I know playing whole notes can be just as hard. But Crown does that stuff too... just not the whole show tongue.gif

I will stand by this last comment though. What Crown did this year with Fanfare for the Common Man is probably the hardest thing a drum corps has ever put on the field. So much could go wrong. A lot did especially early season. The spread, lining everything up. Playing in tune with that spread ain't easy either. Playing with the articulation that they did!!!!! I don't think many realize just how hard it is to play accented notes like they did at that tempo, with that spread, at that volume, those intervals. All of it. They were basically set up for failure. Add the timpani and bass drums all over the field??? It's a wonder they even got it lined up by the week before Allentown. They should have won just based on the demand of that piece, they way it was written, and how well they achieved it. #### the rest of the show. It was pretty hard... but Fanfare was ridiculous. And I wouldn't have it any other way. Because they ####### sold it man!

• Like 3

To the OP, I think BD tied for brass in 1991. Ditto Madison, BD, and Cadets in 1995.

According to my official Excel sheet on this from DCI, (which only goes up to 2004)...

Star of Indiana won the Best Brass award outright in 1991.

Blue Devils won it outright in 1995.

Ties for Best Brass are as follows:

1984: Cadets, Blue Devils, Santa Clara Vanguard

1985: Cadets/Blue Devils

1987: Cadets/Santa Clara Vanguard

• Like 1

According to my official Excel sheet on this from DCI, (which only goes up to 2004)...

That's unfortunate. BD 1991 wipes the floor with most of the rest of these choices.

Now i never heard G horns in person but werent they louder than Bb horns?

There are folks on these forums that would have you believe this, but all we have are recollections. Until we get a major Corps with an 80 member horn line playing on Gs again, it's all conjecture.

But, conjecture is the fuel DCP runs on.

If it were possible to go further back in DCI history I think we might be talking about some Madison, Spirit or Devils, but thanks for the list. A little off season fun is always appreciated by me.

• Like 1

Now i never heard G horns in person but werent they louder than Bb horns?

I don't think it was the HORNS that were louder, but the playing styles. Simply put, back in the G bugle days intonation and tone quality were frequently sacrificed on the altar of massive volume. People rave about 70s/80s horn lines, but I regularly hear on the Legacy CDs and DVDs shrill tone, poor ensemble blend, and constant overblowing, even from the Championship horn lines. And yeah, you can blame some of it on the comparably primitive recording technology of the time, but not all. The philosophy towards brass performance in DCI really began to change in the mid-to-late 90s, and by the time Bb horns were introduced the activity was already trending towards emphasizing technique far more than volume.

At the forefront of this change, IMO, were the Boston Crusaders. The 1999 Crusaders that made Finals for the first time in corps history were a very under-powered line. They had, by far, the lowest fortissimo of the finalist corps (probably the "softest" Finalist corps I've ever heard). But they were crisp and clean and had a GREAT sound with wonderful intonation, and they carried that forward into 2000 and a 5th place show.

• Like 3

You are right about 88. 91 was already discussed, but due to the maximum amount of 25 answers per question, there's not much I can do about it. Also, 1995 brass, according to this website, was not a 3 way tie.

http://www.fromthepressbox.com/19950812div1finals.htm

Also, there's absolutely no need to be rude.

I dont care what a "website" says, get your facts straight. You are making a poll and your posting false information, therefore your poll is nothing more than folly....simple as that. Sorry you see it as rude, but the fact is, its rude to present false inormation as fact.

G

• Like 1

Michael, this is not true. 1995 was announced as a three way tie and Blue Devils also won brass in 1991. There was no tie in 1987.

Geoffrey

• Like 1