HS Marchers

Our county started school Aug 1st...with band camp activity as early as July 9th.

There is no way a high school student could march in a corps. Is it the same in your area?

Our area's high schoolers marched DCI and showed up late to band camps. I don't really think most directors mind this as the DCI kids show up in great shape with well practiced chops and the ability to pick up drill quickly. Gonna be hard pressed to find a kid that would skip their chance at marching a corps to attend a couple weeks of band camp where much of the time is spent teaching fundamentals to the freshman.

• Like 3

Our area's high schoolers marched DCI and showed up late to band camps. I don't really think most directors mind this as the DCI kids show up in great shape with well practiced chops and the ability to pick up drill quickly. Gonna be hard pressed to find a kid that would skip their chance at marching a corps to attend a couple weeks of band camp where much of the time is spent teaching fundamentals to the freshman.

I would certainly agree if I were a band director, but have heard of (obviously non-corps experienced) directors demanding their students to be at camp...I can't see that situation leading anywhere good.

I was thinking more of the school start date being so early - would have to miss 8 days right off the bat.

I'm a band director that has numerous kids missing for corps each summer in corps. There will always be that "my program is better than drum corps" attitude in some, but the vast majority of directors in Texas that have very successful bands have staff with corps experience and also kids that continue to march. Case in point with my kids, they came back from BK and in 1 day they were caught up in 25 sets of drill they'd missed. They are studs when they come back but it's incumbent upon us to speak to them about using their abilities to help the HS team not to get frustrated that it's not on the same level. I really think those directors that have an issue with the activity feel like it's a whizzing contest and it doesn't have to be. Our band has benefitted from alumni and current students that march and then come to tech. It helps... Kids see corps as the best of the best and at our school we've derived many useful techniques from drum corps that are successful in the classroom. As a band director I don't think it's the rule that some don't send kids, it's more the exception!:) As for school starting early it'd be hard but the student(s) would have to do attendance recovery if in our school and make up the work involved.

Wesley Perkins

OHS Band

• Like 2

I marched while in HS. Just had to miss band camp. Director wasnt all to thrilled but what was he gonna do? He was just mad I didnt go to Suncoast as our whole HS staff was from there. :)

When I was growing up there were only two types of kids. Band kids and Drum Corps kids. Some did both but not many. Today it's the opposite. You can't throw a rock in DCI without hitting a kid with band experience. We always thought that band kids were a bunch of sissies, but in all fairness, if it weren't for bands Drum Corps wouldn't have the talent that it does today.

As most have said, it is not a big issue. Yes, the corps kids miss some or all of camp. At the same time, they can learn the same amount of drill that the rest of the band did in two weeks of camp, in 2 or 3 rehearsals. Also, depending on the section of the band, it can bring out some leadership and accountability for some of the non-corps kids that have to step up and be the "lead dog" so to speak (both music and marching). That experience can at times be very valuable as it makes the non-corps kids have to get their poop in a pile a lot earlier.

Yeah i just came back from tour and hopped into the show in a few weeks. Learning a MB show is incredibly easy after tour. Especially after bluestar drill. :tongue: