HS Marchers

I only missed precamp at my school and some small practices for parade. When i showed up to camp i memorized my music before people that worked on it all summer. The director was glad to have some to be an example for the rest of the section. Also the rest of the brass players werent the best and he needed a strong player to balance it out. My mom just made me promise that i wouldnt be an ### when i came back from corpstongue.gif

I am not going to pick on ya because you are a kid; but what you may not realize is that if I were reading it as a band mate of yours or the director of your band program I would read...

You wrote > "When i showed up to camp i memorized my music before people that worked on it all summer"

What I read as a band mate of yours is: "Many of the kids in my band who do not march corps are flat stupid or lazy."

You wrote > "the rest of the brass players weren't the best and he needed a strong player to balance it out."

What I read as your band director is: "My band director is a horrible brass teacher."

Again, not picking on ya, and you probably did not realize that you were making those statements in that manner; but it does show why I have a problem with HS kids not being forced to choose between band and corps.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

Thank you two for proving my point that we are developing youth who feel entitled to get all they want, when they want, at 'their' convenience. And by the way, scholarships should certainly have strict responsibilities and restrictions tied to them; while they are earned through playing or academic talent they are not 'free' money entitlements!! The kid could have chosen to pay for school instead of corps and the scholarship could have gone to another person, so attaching requirements to that scholarship is flat correct!! And the university having no clue, are you kidding me!! That is like saying a band director's school which employees him/her has no clue so the band director should be allowed to miss band camp to instruct corps!! Good grief people, no wonder our country is developing more and more "it is all about me self-centered youth who feel entitled to do everything, have everything, without any consequences".

I guess all young people are wrong, or more likely, older people are always right. worthy.gif

My opinions, already worth little in the eyes of the previous generation, are now worth nothing. rolleyes.gif

Yes, he had a scholarship. I understand, I have them too. But what is to be gained by having a kid miss weeks of tour by going to a camp? Yes! I get it! He has a contract, unless he wants to lose his money he needs to do what they say. But if he's good enough to be in the Cavaliers' tenor line then the point is most likely moot.

Yes, he had a scholarship. I understand, I have them too. But what is to be gained by having a kid miss weeks of tour by going to a camp? Yes! I get it! He has a contract, unless he wants to lose his money he needs to do what they say. But if he's good enough to be in the Cavaliers' tenor line then the point is most likely moot.

See; you once again proved my contention. This is 'not' about his ability to play tenors! What is to be gained, you asked? Duty; Honor; Responsibility; and all of the other ethics which you just flippantly tossed aside as being moot for the self-serving interest of playing tenors.

• Like 2

I am not going to pick on ya because you are a kid; but what you may not realize is that if I were reading it as a band mate of yours or the director of your band program I would read...

You wrote > "When i showed up to camp i memorized my music before people that worked on it all summer"

What I read as a band mate of yours is: "Many of the kids in my band who do not march corps are flat stupid or lazy."

You wrote > "the rest of the brass players weren't the best and he needed a strong player to balance it out."

What I read as your band director is: "My band director is a horrible brass teacher."

Again, not picking on ya, and you probably did not realize that you were making those statements in that manner; but it does show why I have a problem with HS kids not being forced to choose between band and corps.

I think you have a weird way of interpreting simple statements.

just sayin'...

• Like 4

Thank you two for proving my point that we are developing youth who feel entitled to get all they want, when they want, at 'their' convenience. And by the way, scholarships should certainly have strict responsibilities and restrictions tied to them; while they are earned through playing or academic talent they are not 'free' money entitlements!! The kid could have chosen to pay for school instead of corps and the scholarship could have gone to another person, so attaching requirements to that scholarship is flat correct!! And the university having no clue, are you kidding me!! That is like saying a band director's school which employees him/her has no clue so the band director should be allowed to miss band camp to instruct corps!! Good grief people, no wonder our country is developing more and more "it is all about me self-centered youth who feel entitled to do everything, have everything, without any consequences".

Believe me, the characterization you apply to our youth does NOT describe my son.

I am sincerely glad his University doesn't have your hateful attitude and that they are willing to work with my son. Both my son and the University benefit from their cooperation.

• Like 3

I think you have a weird way of interpreting simple statements.

just sayin'...

Do me a favor; try this on for size: Walk up to any kid in a band program and say to them, "My son can come in and learn in a day what you did in two weeks because he marched corps"; then go to the band director and say, "My son can out play all of your brass students because he marched corps". The interps of simple statements are not weird; they are accurate according to those who have 'not' marched corps.

• Like 2

Believe me, the characterization you apply to our youth does NOT describe my son.

I am sincerely glad his University doesn't have your hateful attitude and that they are willing to work with my son. Both my son and the University benefit from their cooperation.

Just remember though that in real life (apart from academia and corps) my "attitude" is correct and necessary not hateful.

• Like 1

Do me a favor; try this on for size: Walk up to any kid in a band program and say to them, "My son can come in and learn in a day what you did in two weeks because he marched corps"; then go to the band director and say, "My son can out play all of your brass students because he marched corps". The interps of simple statements are not weird; they are accurate according to those who have 'not' marched corps.

Neither I nor my son would never have the need to say such a thing...especially to his director or band mates. He would just do his best for the band. That's something he learned in high school marching band AND in drum corps.

On the other hand, if he came into this forum and matter-of-factly made those statements, he would only be telling the truth. He would not be trying to rub anyone's nose in it...as you seem to perceive.

Maybe you should examine your sense of perception.

Edited by RockyGranite
  • Like 1

Neither I nor my son would never have the need to say such a thing...especially to his director or band mates. He would just do his best for the band. That's something he learned in high school marching band AND in drum corps.

On the other hand, if he came into this forum and matter-of-factly made those statements, he would only be telling the truth. He would not be trying to rub anyone's nose in it...as you seem to perceive.

Maybe you should examine your sense of perception.

Note to Motor City, you are an innocent kid here and this is not about you, so please do not take it as such...

Rocky, this particular issue is about just being careful to become very, very, humble from moving from corps to band; nothing more. Here is what I mean: Are you implying that, even if true, your son would not come across as condescending to say this to his band mates who had busted their humps for two weeks? "When i showed up to camp i memorized my music before people that worked on it all summer"; And that you would not come across as condescending to say this about the director and his brass teaching? "the rest of the brass players weren't the best and he needed a strong player to balance it out."

Edited by Stu

Note to Motor City, you are an innocent kid here and this is not about you, so please do not take it as such...

Rocky, this particular issue is about just being careful to become very, very, humble from moving from corps to band; nothing more. Here is what I mean: Are you implying that, even if true, your son would not come across as condescending to say this to his band mates who had busted their humps for two weeks? "When i showed up to camp i memorized my music before people that worked on it all summer"; And that you would not come across as condescending to say this about the director and his brass teaching? "the rest of the brass players weren't the best and he needed a strong player to balance it out."

You are repeating yourself...and I responded the first time.

I think you are making entirely too much of this. I mean, Motor City didn't indicate that he had said any such thing to his marching band...he only said it here.