HS Marchers

And yet, many corporations not only allow...but encourage their employees to take time off from their jobs to participate in the Olympics. Why do you think they do that? Could it be that they see some potential benefit?

Schools and universities are, by and large, not dumb.

I could be incorrect (it does happen from time to time :tongue: )

I believe Stu's point is 2-fold.

1) If the university, corporation, etc. wanted to require attendance and not make an exception, it is fully in their rights to do so.

2) While it is great that people and corporations and universities are cooperating, one possible side effect is that when compromise is not possible, people are getting more and more incapable of prioritizing and making decisions effectively.

Especially with this second point, I have to agree; I have witnessed even in my own students get focused on what they want to happen, and what is a realistic option.

So... 5 to 10 years from now, when I hire one of these new kids coming out of school, I can expect that do not have the ability to prioritize or make a decision effectively?

That is encouraging.

• Like 1

So... 5 to 10 years from now, when I hire one of these new kids coming out of school, I can expect that do not have the ability to prioritize or make a decision effectively?

That is encouraging.

Is that really what you get out of this?

Not at all... but that is exactly what MN trumpeter guy just just wrote.

Or was he interpreting for STU. Either wsy.

I will tell ya what I get out of this thread; a friend of mine said to me about a year ago that we are heading the way of Greece. I told him, "No way, this is America, Jack!" Well, when I read and hear adults and youth who in essence want to start a job on Monday yet leave for a week on Tuesday to do something seal-gratifying, then when they get back they want Friday and Monday off to go do something else, and want to go to this other activity next summer, they want an office with a window near a door to leave at their discretion, yet receive full payment compensation and job security for the work they should have stayed at in the first place,... now I am leaning to say, "Yep, we are heading the way of Greece!". We are developing such a self-centered entitlement philosophy in this culture in which we think that we can do what we want, when we want, at any time we want without any sense of duty, honor, and responsibility; and then people wonder why corporations seek to build their plants in a countries where people want to work for a living! It is 'not' the pay differential, it is the pay differential plus all these 'I am entitled to this and that at my selfish whim' which drives the companies out of this country!

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

My son, currently in drum corps but now a year out of high school, always returned from Indy right when band camp was starting. There were literally mornings when the band director called him personally on his cell phone to wake him up and get him over to band camp. My point is this: most band directors can't wait to get the dci kids on board because they know it will boost the quality of their show. My son's last year marching HS band, they won the state title. I see no reason why a kid should have to make a choice between one or the other, unless the band director requires it. There are many conflicting programs in high school... even just within the school. High school directors and coaches are used to it and basically, the squeakiest wheel gets the grease.

Wow it's selfish to want to see kids be more well rounded? It's selfish to work hard at more than one thing? I guess I'm a selfish guy then. Guilty as charged :tongue:

• Like 4

luv4corps, that is more like the world I work and live. The self entitlement is easy to correct and I have never had to.

Wow it's selfish to want to see kids be more well rounded? It's selfish to work hard at more than one thing? I guess I'm a selfish guy then. Guilty as charged :tongue:

from what I've been hearing lately... it's also selfish to want to win DCI.

And yet, many corporations not only allow...but encourage their employees to take time off from their jobs to participate in the Olympics. Why do you think they do that? Could it be that they see some potential benefit?

Schools and universities are, by and large, not dumb.

What dreamworld are these corporations in? In the real world, there'd be 2 choices: quit or face discipline.