HS Marchers

And yes, all of this fits into the HS Marchers topic because it fits into what 'values', such as duty and responsibility toward the HS program (or toward the company they will work for), we are teaching those kids!

Edited by Stu

I also understand that would be considered personal time off. Completly unrelatated to my career. If I could not afford to have that time - I would not take it. Nor would I ever expect the company that I'm dedicated to to pay. Even in the event that I was out west for work and decided to take a PERSONAL DAY to fish - I would pay. Personal time off is earned and vacation is not a new concept. (this would also save me or my company money on a mid week airlime ticket vs a high traffic ticket, the company paying is up to them)

About lawsuits... go for it. You would get schooled.

Edited by Kevin Powell

for the sake of High School kids... Communicate with your band directors. Commit your time that best suits your future. There will be conflicts along the way and choose wisely your path. If corps is more important than band. Go for it with everything you've got. Hopefully your band director will allow you the spot in their program. If not, it is okay - you are not entitled to that spot. If baseball is your thing - go for it but know that it has time conflicts involved.

Just communicate and many times things work out. If they dont. it's okay.

The whole world is not a negative, everyone is against you world. It is a world of adapting negotiations.Learn to communicate now.

It comes down to this.... The OP asked if it can be worked since school started on Aug 1. I cannot speak to that County or it's school, but my school admin, teachers and band directors have worked with several students to be able to march drum corps and esp to miss time at the end of the school year. This thread is not about breaking contracts or being sued, it's about HS students being able to work with schools to have the wonderful opportunities that Drum Corps presents

• Like 2

I also understand that would be considered personal time off. Completly unrelatated to my career. If I could not afford to have that time - I would not take it. Nor would I ever expect the company that I'm dedicated to to pay. Even in the event that I was out west for work and decided to take a PERSONAL DAY to fish - I would pay. Personal time off is earned and vacation is not a new concept.

About lawsuits... go for it. You would get schooled.

You were not talking about a mini seminar which includes continuing education courses to keep a certification, and you were not referring to personal time off as leave of absence for drum corps, but you were justifying that leave from work as some sort of company enhancement activity which teaches skill sets related to the job (or in case of school age kids, skill set enhancements to benefit the school band). And unless you are advocating a huge amount of personal time off be provided to employees, and allow them to pick and choose the time period they take off, (which is absurd on many levels) I was pointing out that 'any' leave of absence activity can be justified as learning skill sets which are both related to and would benefit the company (teamwork, strategy, tactics, patience, ... are all skill sets which are related to any company).

And I certainly do know about the way employees handle lawsuits. Personal time off is one thing; but if you justify a leave of absence to develop skill sets for your company utilizing the drum corps activity many of those same skill sets (again teamwork, instructional skills, tenacity, ...) can be acquired through a plethora of other activities and yeah, you would get sued, and yeah you would lose; I saw it within an engine manufacturing company where an employee asked for time off justifying it as a company skill related activity while the company would not do the same for another employee with a different activity; the second employee sued and the company lost.

It comes down to this.... The OP asked if it can be worked since school started on Aug 1. I cannot speak to that County or it's school, but my school admin, teachers and band directors have worked with several students to be able to march drum corps and esp to miss time at the end of the school year. This thread is not about breaking contracts or being sued, it's about HS students being able to work with schools to have the wonderful opportunities that Drum Corps presents

The point is that what is being taught is not compromise; but teaching kids that they can do what they want, when they want, at any time they want by splitting their devotion which (unless we want to become Greece) does not and will not fly in the adult real world outside of the academic arena. Again, all of this fits into the HS Marchers topic because it fits into what 'values', such as duty and responsibility toward the HS program (or toward the company they will work for), we are teaching those kids!

Edited by Stu

76d31508_c851d40e_Derail_1.jpeg

EXACTLY... C MOR... the next round of PB&Js is on me.

I know when enough is enough and when to stop trying to justify a point to a narrow point of view.

Edited by Kevin Powell

The point is that what is being taught is not compromise; but teaching kids that they can do what they want, when they want, at any time they want by splitting their devotion which (unless we want to become Greece) does not and will not fly in the adult real world outside of the academic arena. Again, all of this fits into the HS Marchers topic because it fits into what 'values', such as duty and responsibility toward the HS program (or toward the company they will work for), we are teaching those kids!

your employer is paying you for X. You have to do X to get paid. That is why the guy from the Cavaliers had to go to college band camp, because he was getting paid.

High school kids are not in the same position at all.

your employer is paying you for X. You have to do X to get paid. That is why the guy from the Cavaliers had to go to college band camp, because he was getting paid.

High school kids are not in the same position at all.

No need to try. Stu's mind is set.