Kids crying, the quest for gold, a broken nose.

Hmmm, maybe if someone could get Mike Rowe to do a "Dirty Jobs" episode on corps cooks (or something), some honcho would get a peek at what all goes into a DCI season and see that it has potential of a ten-week hour-long series...

That is a reality show I would definitely watch! :thumbup:

Would it be more entertaining than and educational than watching some guys build a bike again? Those guys have made a killing on merchandise alone.

I think it could be a good thing if done well and if the corps had final say in what content is allowed, but I would be very careful not to cede that control to the makers. Otherwise, the final product could be much less flattering than what was expected.

Would it be more entertaining than and educational than watching some guys build a bike again? Those guys have made a killing on merchandise alone.

Is this a serious question?* If done right it would absolutely be far more entertaining and educational than the vast majority of rubbish that currently pervades the cables. The linked Twinkles documentary was a very well done example. I have little interest in the subject(s) involved but still watched the show and could see similarities between it and our own little niche activity.

Yes, to me, it would be immensely more intriguing than gator hunting or hog wrestling, hoarders and drug addicts, insane MILFs or celebrity snots...

I think it could be a good thing if done well and if the corps had final say in what content is allowed, but I would be very careful not to cede that control to the makers. Otherwise, the final product could be much less flattering than what was expected.

And that's the clincher - would the producers do an honest portrayal or would they attempt to turn it into another embarrassing mash of feces that they already send out weekly?

*You ask this on a drum corps fan website, of course I would find interest in it. :tongue: I mentioned Mike Rowe only because his was a name I remembered.

I was serious. Actually, I do believe it would be done very well amd could show quite a bit of the inside daily drama of corps life.

I am pretty sure they have the docudrama recipe down now that could promote the activity well. This same model could be used in hundreds of activities... the proof is in catfish noodling.

Is this a serious question?* If done right it would absolutely be far more entertaining and educational than the vast majority of rubbish that currently pervades the cables. The linked Twinkles documentary was a very well done example. I have little interest in the subject(s) involved but still watched the show and could see similarities between it and our own little niche activity.

Yes, to me, it would be immensely more intriguing than gator hunting or hog wrestling, hoarders and drug addicts, insane MILFs or celebrity snots...

And that's the clincher - would the producers do an honest portrayal or would they attempt to turn it into another embarrassing mash of feces that they already send out weekly?

*You ask this on a drum corps fan website, of course I would find interest in it. :tongue: I mentioned Mike Rowe only because his was a name I remembered.

Actually, I had no interest either, but the headline screamed out at me. "Seeking Perfection". I watched the whole thing because of the girls' drama in their quest.

I don't think we'd have to worry about the content remaining true. How many times can you see a bunch of southern boys killing gators for no good reason before you start to yearn for a real story. The producers have to create the story so they use the personalities. In pawn shops, the next guy who walks in is the story. Anyone who's ever spent more than 24 hours with a drum corps understands that the actual performance is just a small sliver of the story. The kids and their drama is the story along with the competition. When you see a corps pull into a school at 2:00am you begin to see how little of the activity is actually known to the vast majority of fans, let alone those who are completely unaware. The point is that, as in the cheer video, the participants make the enitre story and none need be created.

Actually, I had no interest either, but the headline screamed out at me. "Seeking Perfection". I watched the whole thing because of the girls' drama in their quest.

I don't think we'd have to worry about the content remaining true. How many times can you see a bunch of southern boys killing gators for no good reason before you start to yearn for a real story. The producers have to create the story so they use the personalities. In pawn shops, the next guy who walks in is the story. Anyone who's ever spent more than 24 hours with a drum corps understands that the actual performance is just a small sliver of the story. The kids and their drama is the story along with the competition. When you see a corps pull into a school at 2:00am you begin to see how little of the activity is actually known to the vast majority of fans, let alone those who are completely unaware. The point is that, as in the cheer video, the participants make the enitre story and none need be created.

It's truly a glamorous experience.

• Like 1

Am I the only one who would be hugely embarrassed by things I said and did during drum crops tour and am, personally, IMMENSELY grateful that the experience was not turned into some hogwash mass-consumption piece? Just a thought.

You are not the only one. Being called a "worthless sack of SXXX" during a rehearsal run through over the stadium's PA system by the visual caption head in top rant like I was when I was 17 or 18 would have definitely made an episode, I'm sure. I don't think I would have stayed 6 seasons had my first year or two been reality-ized. :satisfied:

Hmmm, maybe if someone could get Mike Rowe to do a "Dirty Jobs" episode on corps cooks (or something), some honcho would get a peek at what all goes into a DCI season and see that it has potential of a ten-week hour-long series...

That is a reality show I would definitely watch! :thumbup:

I don't think the food truck would qualify for a "Dirty Jobs" episode (at least, it better not LOL), but maybe something on the Food Network. Having to feed 200 people 4 times a day out of a converted semi-trailer and keep the menu nutritious and interesting might be a show worth watching.

http://www.madisongear.com/Cadence-DVD_p_265.html

In 2000, an independent film crew was given full access to document the corps as they traversed throughout the season. From auditions to Finals night, Cadence gives you a behind-the-scenes look at the Madison Scouts.

The Madison Scouts wanted to prove to the activity that a show based on solid music selections, no matter what the style, could be effective and entertaining.

The sho's theme, The Cossack Brotherhood, was based on traditional Ukrainian and Russian melodies, works by Khachaturian and Shostakovich, and the filmm score to "Taras Bulba".

Cadence engagingly captures the struggle between the programming direction of the drum corps activity and the philosophical precepts of the Madison Scout

http://www.facebook.com/MadisonScoutsMovie

"Scouts Honor: Inside a Marching Brotherhood" is a feature length documentary which is currently in the early stages of production. The film will follow a few members from the 2012 edition of the Madison Scouts drum and bugle corps from the audition process through Spring training, and the Summer tour across the United States to the Drum Corps International World Championships in Indianapolis, Indiana. Visit http://www.scoutshonormovie.com/

Also, the Inside BD 360 Series (or whatever it's called) on the Blue Devils' MediaBox is similar to this (although in bite-sized, 10 to 15 minute episodes). It is very well done, and several of the episodes show/discuss competitors (such as Crown). The final episode, which I believe is available without subscription, features interviews with several members of other corps at or around Finals.

• Like 1