1990 Velvet Knights is DCI DVD Spotlight of the Week

From the very start of the show, it was clear the corps was continuing on its path of defying convention. The drum major took out a baton from behind his neck and then dropped it on the field; a spoof of Phantom Regiments drum major routine. A brief statement of the melody of Summertime (from Gershwins Porgy and Bess) kicked off the production, just as fans eyes were finally adjusting to the psychedelic pattern of the stretch pants the brass and percussion members were wearing.

Yeah that was me! :tongue:

Edited by Ex VK DM
  • Like 4

A brief statement of the melody of “Summertime” (from Gershwin’s “Porgy and Bess”) kicked off the production, just as fans’ eyes were finally adjusting to the psychedelic pattern of the stretch pants the brass and percussion members were wearing.

At the end of that number, is VK spoofing Madison '88, by having the cymbal line frame the soloist?

At the end of that number, is VK spoofing Madison '88, by having the cymbal line frame the soloist?

I don't think so. I saw that same thing in a number of shows back in that era. But I could be wrong.

To have the Velvet Knights back big and strong, would be the best shot in the arm that DCI could ever hope for. I never lsft the stands when they were coming on the field, but often did when corps 1-4 were performing