What if

What if...

wow.

Those battles of the bands do draw a crowd.

Yes,they do draw a crowd, somewhere in the neighborhood of 50,000 to the Georgia Dome every January for the Honda Battle of the Bands.

However, they get so much sponsorship money from Honda that they can pay the bands and cover all their expenses and still only charge $10 for tickets.

Yep, it's a lot easier to fill up the dome at $10 a pop than what we pay to see the Atlanta regional in July. Of course, it certainly doesn't hurt that it is held in a city with a very large African-American population, since it involves HBCU bands.

• 2 weeks later...

There's not any clip in this thread I don't love! The Mummers, the Accordion band, and the black college band, wow! Outstanding! Just the energy coming off each group. Fantastic!

I love Mummers bands.

They remind me of some combination of Bridgemen, Velvet Knights (from back in the day) and Empire Statesmen, fueled with LSD. :tongue:

I don't think show style and corps style are mutually exclusive. I teach a high school group that marches corps-style competitive shows, but they play cadences similar to the ones in the OP's video in the stands, at pep rallies, in parades, etc., and I think it's good, clean fun. Their school and community hypes it, and because they write many of their cadences themselves, it gives them a great source of pride in their work. I spent my first fall teaching them to use that same kind of performance energy in a slightly different way for their halftime show, and I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth the transition was. I agree with Mr. Boo; show-style bands are their own unique arena with their own ways of being entertaining. However, don't write off students from show-style high school bands when it comes to drum corps. A few of the kids I teach are showing serious interest in drum corps- they definitely recognize and appreciate the level of talent and work shown by DCI lines.

I would also love to see more drumline "battles" and hornline blowouts in drum corps. I saw a great video recently of the batteries from Blue Stars and Pacific Crest "battling" the morning of Finals this year. It doesn't have to be a drum/horn "battle," either- see Spirit and Crossmen.

• Like 1

;
;

Those Mummers costumes are fantastic.

• Like 2