Portrait In Brass

Who played "You made me love you" on a soprano in 1961-62? Thought I would play it on

my slide valve sop tonight. It would be nice to give credit to the person who inspired me to play soprano in the early 60's!

Edited by Shenandoah Vibrato
  • Like 1

As far as I know, wasn't that a standard with the Princemen, BITD.

Edited by ereese

The Fleetwood album that I have " A Portrait in Brass " From 1962 side 2 Tom Martin played a brass solo, The Fox Hunt and You Made Me Love You.

Thanks a bunch! I am at Shenndoah Sound rehearsal and won't be able to look it up. See Y'all at I & E tonight

Edited by Shenandoah Vibrato

Hi Dick.

Tommy Martin was in the house at I&E and I hope you got to speak with him. He's a very modest guy whose playing inspired generations of buglers and you do the right thing by honoring him.

He continues to play in a bugle ensemble called the Romeo Cadets, along with other notables like Col. Joe Brancati and Tommy Shields. Charts by Ernie Fesler. His sound is as sweet as ever. Look for them at the Buglers Hall of Fame-sponsored I&E shows.

By the way, I always enjoy hearing you play, my friend.

• Like 1

Hi Dick.

Tommy Martin was in the house at I&E and I hope you got to speak with him. He's a very modest guy whose playing inspired generations of buglers and you do the right thing by honoring him.

He continues to play in a bugle ensemble called the Romeo Cadets, along with other notables like Col. Joe Brancati and Tommy Shields. Charts by Ernie Fesler. His sound is as sweet as ever. Look for them at the Buglers Hall of Fame-sponsored I&E shows.

By the way, I always enjoy hearing you play, my friend.

Had I known he was in the house I certainly would have sought him out to thank him for the many times I have enjoyed his solos. As a matter of fact, I still listen to them. I particularly enjoyed the "Three Tenors". I will have to make every effort to attend the Buglers Hall of Fame shows.

Thanks, Frank

• 1 month later...

Can anbodry name the baritone soloist on that album who played "Rapsody In Blue"

That would be the incomparable John Simpson, the favorite baritone soloist of Truman Crawford (USAF D&B Corps) and Hy Dreitzer (Skyliners). Tommy Martin and he were colleagues in both hornlines.

My wife and I just met John at DCA thanks to another DCPer. Vice nice man and we had a great talk with him about things other than Drum Corps. Having the USAF recordings I think of his work in "Summertime".

Of course my jaw has scrape marks from the sidewalk when I realized who I was talking to.

Edited by JimF-LowBari