Portrait In Brass

From what I was told and if I remember correctly, the Brass By Night recordings were pretty much done at the corps rehearsal sites. The 4 corps, Queensmen, Loretto, Floyd Bennett and Selden were not very far from one another and they might have been done all in the same night. Can't be sure on that one, but I was told there was a recording truck/van that made the voyage out to Seldens rehearsal site in Centereach, Long Island in the parking lot of Harrows Dept. store and made the recording not 20 feet from the street. I wasn't there at that time, but I'll always remember the site as that's where I joined the corps one night in 63. What sealed the deal was the corps was doing a run through and I stood there and heard 24 horns that sounded like 50. That first impression was killer.

Sounds consistent with the story that Steve Buglino told me awhile back ... he was with Floyd Bennett and they were to be recorded at their namesake air field in Brooklyn where thay practiced ... I believe he said that by the time Dick Blake got there, 1/2 the corps had left ... he decided to record them anyway ...

:-)

Sounds consistent with the story that Steve Buglino told me awhile back ... he was with Floyd Bennett and they were to be recorded at their namesake air field in Brooklyn where thay practiced ... I believe he said that by the time Dick Blake got there, 1/2 the corps had left ... he decided to record them anyway ...

:-)

It's been a while since I've listened to that record, but I do remember it sounding pretty good, considering what Blake went through and the limited technology at the time. I'm guessing everyone was recorded in the standard arc. If there's a french horn solo on the Floyd Bennett session, it's no doubt Steve B..

Another good one was Horns Aplenty with the mighty Cambridge Caballeros, Audubon, Paterson Cadets and Selden. Too long ago to remember, but I think that was standstill as well. I was also partial to Bugles Up. That one was like a who's who of drum corps with SAC, Garfield, Cavies and St. Kevins.

Many of these records were standard issue in your collection.

Edited by gsksun4

• 3 weeks later...

A personal mission of mine is to get adults playing their instruments again. John Simpson will be my prize subject.

Frank Doorite (mastermind of the 310ers) is plotting a quartet of vintage baritone artists. Along with Simpson, he has been recruting Billy Hightower, Baby John Chalmus, and the incomparable Bobby Gaff. Look for appearances at BHOF and DCA I&E.

Johnny has also been invited to join in a trio with me and a certain West Coast mellophone player of the female persuasion. But we'll use those new-fangled 2-piston King G bugles.

This has to be the biggest news this year. Please keep me posted on any developments and if an old hick from Northern Maine can contribute! :thumbup:

Edited by Shenandoah Vibrato