How many years

Annapolis is the best I've been to with Scranton a distant second. Not only is it in a beautiful city with access to larger cities close by (Baltimore and DC) but it's in a beautiful location (when you are owned by the government you don't have to choose the cheapest land to put your large stadium on). Look at how many large stadiums are in the "bad" parts of town (Rochester, Allentown are 2 examples).

""

Edited by wishbonecav
  • Like 3

I'm ticked off at the criticism from down South about the draw for dca-Annapolis (eg magicdirects 2000 at prelims and 5000 for Finals comments) and have a feeling there was more to the story from that end than meets the eye.

There were a heck of a lot more than 2000/5000 there the last two nights. Those numbers are BOGUS.

I agree that the sound in the stadium was great! I had a seat on the 50 and the view was wonderful! I only went to the Ensemble venue for I & E and it could have been laid out better, (Put performers opposite the entrance...) There could have been another concession stand open... it might have helped. I stayed up near BWI but the drive from there wasn't bad. Hey, I liked the parking at the staium! got out every time without much hassle!

Great job by the folks in DCA and the Annapolis connection! Looking forward to next year!

The problem is the Navy football schedule. Yesterday they played Notre Dame over in Ireland and next year I think they are away as well on Saturday. I don't know the particulars but I would imagine the teams home/away schedule is one of the bigger hurdles.

I would tend to agree with that. We were fortunate that, for these two years 2012-2013, Navy does not have a home game on Labor Day weekend.

I sure wish there were a like button here for some of the posts! LOL

I absolutely agree this has been one of the very best locations I have ever been to. Only other one I liked equally was DCI in Denver at the old Mile High. Of course some of that may have been my first time making the big show in 78. Back to Annapolis... I have never run into so many people so excited to have us there, ever. The locals really reached out to make sure we knew they wanted us there and appreciate us. Not that you look for a pat on the back, but that was very refreshing from previous places. Rochester, while the block party was nice, as a competitor in both the I&E and minicorps show, I never got to really enjoy that part, so that had no impact on my time there. The stadium in Annapolis was very comfortable, and by far one of the best to experience all the corps had to offer. I often sat at the 20 yard line area, and was very satisfied with the sound from every corps.

So the only negative I can think of is, we are there for only one more year!

Thanks Gil, Allen, Kevin and all the staff involved for giving us the best available. I know it's not easy, but you guys knocked it out of the park on this one!

My advice if you were there and enjoyed it, get on facebook, twitter, or the phone and let all your friends know what a great place it was and invite them to join you next year. This place can hold a crowd! I know I plan on being there Thursday, to Monday (maybe beyond) next year.

• Like 1

I was too busy rehearsing with my corps to partake in any activities. I wish the noise ordinance allowed for playing off at retreat or the old parking lot jams but I guess we're moving past those things and I do understand why the rules are as they are. From a performers perspective the stadium was very nice. Great turf, great stands, and a very nice sound on the field. The sound "feel" took a little getting used to but hey, you should be watching hands anyway, right? Annapolis gets an A from me.

The stadium was the best I have ever played in, or watched a show. The sound on and off the field was perfect. No distracting echo except maybe the sound system used by the announcer at times. (Sorry Fran! - or were you saying everything twice? :lookaround::tongue: ). The large size of the stadium allowed the crowd to spreadout a little on this humid weekend and still have a great view. Well done Annapolis! :thumbup:

BTW Joey....Florida had great weather from Wednesday to even today. No rain and nothing but sun and heat! Friday evening at the football game at our school we were sweating. The kids in their uni's were sweaty too.

My perspective of the stadium came from the pics that DCP (KG) posted and the corps and crowd looked miniscule. I am sure there were more.

A football stadium, open-air is the place for a drum corps contest IMO.

""

Edited by wishbonecav