How many years

I'll sit down with Kevin Hassan next year on this one, because I do believe City Dock is the place for I&E.

Especially if we do the "DCA at the Docks" concerts on Thursday night like this year.

I wonder if mini-corps directors/designers would be amenable to keeping their drill inside the dimensions of the City Dock stage, if they knew early on that the finals would be there?

I also wonder how many I&E attendees were underage? how many I&E performers were underage? Although I TOTALLY love the pub crawl idea....

Jeff

How is parking and walking in that area? Thinking of the folks with walking problems or assisting people with problems?

PS - loved driving thru the Academy grounds. Even got a salute from I guess was a Midshipman. He was wearing a black uniform with white cap which I'm not used to so I was looking closely as I drove by. He saw me looking and must have done the "if it moves, salute it" bit..... I nodded as we drove by like "good job"... :doh:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I'd appreciate if you'd stop with the "get over its" and "end of discussion". Its unpleasant on purpose. Sharing ideas is what we are doing. Simply defeating ideas, responding with "that wont work" and declaring "end of discussion" is counterproductive.

The way I read it, the ideas I've proposed here were not only kicked around at the DCA meetings, but it appears that, through additional discussion, might actually be adopted in some shape or form. They may not. But the host of the show has weighed in here and it also appears that, though you may want to end the discussion, neither he nor others who participated in the event in 2012 and have plans to do so in 2013 are prepared to put the ball down just yet.

I'm sorry if this conversation ruffles your personal sensibilities. I'd like to continue it with those who (a) have a dog in the fight; (b) understand budgeting, staging, facility availability and cost/benefit from the inside; and © look to converse and discuss so conclusions can be reached without jumping to them prematurely.

I think its a given that DCA doesnt have "tons of money to throw at the event", yet the event happens every year. There may be a few pounds or ounces of money instead of "tons", yet the job gets done and done well. I'm not sure you have the expertise to determine DCA's position "from a pure financial standpoint". DCA isnt a broke outfit that can't afford to spend a few dollars on events and event promotion. The well-produced promo videos, internet content, tv time, facility rental, sponsorship and so forth are a tangible testament to that.

I'd offer that Gil, Glen, Jeff and Kevin are better spokesmen for the DCA expense account and its ok to approach them with ideas and let them decide if a portion of the funding can actually come from the DCA account, or if garnering a sponsor or two (or 25 - like the program book) is required to get an idea to fly.

I'm trying to figure out two DCA projects at this point and expect that I will get the first question first: "How ya gonna pay for it?" If I get 7/10ths of the way there on my own, I can then ask for the remaining 30%. I've done this before.

The super expensive portable video board in 3D with pyrotechnics at the Dock next year is going to be a long throw. I might have to pare down that idea or hope I catch Phil Knight at a weak moment. Either way, its more fun to try to get things to work and have those kinds of team conversations than it is to be a clay pigeon.

It takes way more courage to float an idea than it does to shoot one down.

Thank you

oh I'vefloated many ideas on here, and talked to more than a few people in the know. I wouldn't just go typing to hear myself talk.

But hey, what do I know. Guys like Peashey, hershman etc just gave me info for the hell of it.

""

Edited by wishbonecav

""

Edited by wishbonecav

If there's an idea or two that you are trying to get some traction on, maybe I can help.

No promises...its a tough crowd at times, but if you spell out an idea or two that enhances the event for the performers or audience..let's just say that two heads are better than 1.

What do you/did you have in mind?

my idea is keep it where it was. this way everything is right there. I know one of the most confusing aspects at Rochester was in the beginning when everything was spread out all over the neighborhood. In fact, it among other things kept me from going back to I&E.

So what if, for next year only, we say "no drill" for minis? Or something along those lines. Heck, hype it up and make the score all about music performance and music effect ONLY. The cool thing about minicorps is that it's fluid, and super-easy to tailor your show to a venue if you know about it in advance.

Make lemonade out of lemons...

I would not object to that at all. The sheets are presently close to the music effect sheets that DCA uses anyway. There is only ONE LINE on the sheet in a subcaption that says "Visual Enhancement" ...it supposed to only give credit if the visual content helps to generate music effect.

IMHO, We may have gotten a little out of hand with as much movement as the top corps are doing. I am not even sure that the competitors or the judges understand the sheets. I had a lot to do with writing the existing sheet, wrote a show to fit the sheets and still only came in 3rd place.

Dont get me wrong here...I understand that judging apples, oranges, bananas, pears, melons, et al...is not an easy task. But are we making it harder for judges with the addition of as much drill as we are doing. The Ghost Riders cannot keep up with the Jones's in this regard. We have some people that just can't do that much movement because of age or health reasons. Should we cut people because they cant do drill?

I am hoping for some communication with DCA this winter on how to go about doing some things that will not cause mini corps from getting out of the competition. We only had seven corps by the time the show went off. I spoke with a person of interest from a steady competitor that said the group he is from may not return next year.

No sour grapes here at all...but where are the Erie Thunderbirds, Golden Eagles, Lambertville Volunteers, Matadors/Generations etc...did we make it so they couldnt compete with their existing personnel? FWIW...with the Ghost Riders, what you see is what you get. I am not sure that we can get much better than we were on Friday night. I am proud of that for sure!

Donny

Edited by Donny Drum Corps
  • Like 1

Oh and Jeff Weir was awesome for us in Annapolis! The crew was great and I appreciate his efforts immensely.

I can say firsthand that the original idea for I&E was to hold all of the events at City Dock. I knew going in that one of the best parts about Rochester was the "block party" feel of I&E, and the best spot to replicate that experience in Annapolis is City Dock. The deciding factor was that I&E concludes with mini-corps, and with the mini-corps drill expanding every year, the City Dock stage was simply too small. Hell, one of the ideas had each City Dock pub sponsoring one of the I&E events (as most of them have small live music venues), so you could "pub crawl" your way through I&E. I voted six times for that one. But it all came down to keeping all of the events together so fans could bounce from venue to venue, and anchoring the event on the mini-corps competition. There is no space large enough on City Dock to hold the mini-corps competition. That led us back to the stadium and its facilities.

Jeff

I understand the issues and see how this migth not be possible, but a pub crawl style I&E is GENIUS!