2012 DCA World Championships Finals

This is something that some of us has been hinting about for years. Expanding the fan base.

Glad you saw a taste of that.

Let's face it Ed, all of us would like to see this activity attract new people. Winston Salem may have seemed like a great idea on paper, but in reality it was not the great savior of the activity. The location was not weekend getaway friendly (and for the record I don't think we've had finals anywhere in the last 20 years that really was too great in that department, BUT there were things to do in the Allentown and Scranton area that were relatively close and offered some choices). Baltimore and DC are within a reasonable distance. And that's if you run out of things to plan in the Annapolis area.

I had the chance to spend Monday with friends in the Annapolis area.

While it's anectdotal evidence, these non-drum corps people were very aware of our prescence by way of the media attention we received in both print, as well as TV. That is the true measure of how a community "REALLY" values you. They were excited that we were there. One of the things that stuck out was as part of the reporting that was done. It made mention of the fact that there are NO drum corps in the Maryland area. Which had me going through the roster of both DCI and DCI and I couldn't think of one at the top of my head. So who knows, not only could this increase attendance but maybe add a corps or two and build a geographical bridge to DCA South and allow for the possibility of a DCA schedule that includes some MD and Northern VA shows..

Personally, I thought it was a great venue to perform in, and the fact that the Annapolis communtiy was willing to work with DCA on the noise ordinance issue in order to get the show in on Saturday night was another example of a host city embacing us.

Edited by jkmummer

The truth is DCA is all about the regular season shows. Without them, the championship and the corps do NOT exist. Due to economic times and extreme cost of travel - this fact is more important than ever... If this rule actually bothered our brothers in the "7" corps, then they would have worked out a compromise to have their show sanctioned - I think they are to be complimented for their ability to put out such a large and competent, no wonderful corps and still coming east every year at GREAT expense.

and again remember that the proceeds (profits) of the season are divided up and distributed via the share point system which rewards 1 share point fo every corps that competes in every regular season show... Kidsgrove will even get two share points for competing in Bridgeport and Pennsauken...

I join others in pointing out that the vote on this voting membership rule was 10 - 0 with Renegades voting in favor... I rest my case... beating a dead horse? Making something out of nothing? pick the cliché

i think you have something for me tom.

Annapolis is a place to GROW into. Think about it, everyone attending this year had a pretty good seat. Even those who decided at the last minute to go. There is great potential in Annapolis to do wonderful promotional things with local schools, etc. and STILL be assured everyone will view our product as intended. That is, between the twenties.

The Navy football thing MAYBE can be solved with Navy playing Thursday or Friday. The college football schedule now uses every day of the week. ESPN or FOX will be key.

The larger stadium also makes for easy concessions access, plenty of nearby parking, and better technical facilities. DCA really should hang in there with Annapolis.

It wasn't Thanksgiving weekend, but Labor Day weekend. It is still supposed to be hot, as it is still summer. Was the amazing lunch we had filled with seafoods of various kinds expensive? Yes, and very, very awesome (and probably just as expensive anywhere for that matter). My hotel was only slightly more than last year's BUT came with breakfast every morning for all 4 of us, which made it much cheaper in the long run.

Not really sure what your beef is with Annapolis but compared to Rochester there was much more to do and see, and was a much, much nicer place. Didn't have to worry about the neighborhood around the stadium. Could walk around downtown at your leisure. It was much more inclusive of a place to have finals, so if you went a couple of days early or stayed a few days later, there was still much to do and see. Rochester was arrive, show, and get the heck out.

If they didn't go back, that would be very disappointing.

:worthy:

I am sure the are going to be detractors that are going to make mention over the next months and year about how much better the I@E venue is in Rochester. While not ideal it sure beats marching uphill on a spotlighted ski slope parking lot which is what we had in 2004 in Scranton.

I@E does not pay the bills. The big show does. Please keep that in mind.

Do the pros and cons and I am sure you can find the right answer.

gee I said that in another thread and got blasted.

since we agree for a change, wanna go over there and help me out?

:tongue: