Garfield Cadets 1985

Ha ha Sam! I knew there was a "YOU GOT MY RING!" angle in in there somewhere! It was a crazy moment. Made all the more weird for the fact that Rich Armstrong NEVER screwed up. I believe he was the best drum major winner at DCI more than once? I want to believe that. Anyways, the last set was the ink. Thats how it was written. Just Zingali's take on the music. Remember all the controversy in '83 over the arc that was off center in Garfield's show right before they formed the "Z" pull? Everyone thought it was a way to make it un-judgeable. You can't call an arc not correct if it was written to look not correct. Maybe in '85 in the last set that was what he was doing. Or maybe he just liked it that way. I dunno. I will say, you're the first person I ever heard bring it up before. I never really thought about it.

I've just read many things on how the beginning was messed up. To those who don't know, apparently, before "Candide" started, something was really off somewhere (the only sounds came from the pit). On the live broadcast video, I just don't see or hear anything wrong. I know Hopkins thought it cost them the show while Cesario said it didn't. On the recording, there is clearly a "hut hut hut hut!" and then "Candide" started (and sounded fine). I always thought that was the DM, but I just read that it was a soprano player (the fellow who ran out of the tunnel to open the show).

Interesting. Any thoughts?

Oh, and for the record, that "Hut hut hut" was the very same Tom Smith of "running from the tunnel" fame at the beginning of the show. He called the audible for most of the season because the form lined up with the drum major making it impossible for most of the form to see the count-off. Tom had the best vantage point.

• Like 1

This is a fascinating story. Just as a side-line, what year did it become legal for people other than the DM and CG Captain to give audibles (or even dut-dut-dut-duts)?

Great story. Have to ask my sister her take on the experience. Euph '84 and '85.

Ha ha Sam! I knew there was a "YOU GOT MY RING!" angle in in there somewhere! It was a crazy moment. Made all the more weird for the fact that Rich Armstrong NEVER screwed up. I believe he was the best drum major winner at DCI more than once? I want to believe that.

Mike Zapanta at SCV was supposed ti be nails, too....but then there was 82 finals (of course, that could be excused as the only time THAT ending was ever done)

Anyways, the last set was the ink. Thats how it was written. Just Zingali's take on the music. Remember all the controversy in '83 over the arc that was off center in Garfield's show right before they formed the "Z" pull? Everyone thought it was a way to make it un-judgeable. You can't call an arc not correct if it was written to look not correct. Maybe in '85 in the last set that was what he was doing. Or maybe he just liked it that way. I dunno. I will say, you're the first person I ever heard bring it up before. I never really thought about it.

I wasn't in the activity in 83, so I never knew there was a controversy...it just looked like an asymmetric form to me.

• Like 1

Oh, and one more thing. The stand-still sop solo in Candide where he warbles on the high note is a mistake. He never did that before. He said his chops were gone and he was trying to hold the note and he just kind of shook off of it for a second. The rest of the solo came out fine. For most people it's another mistake that probably sounds fine or intentional. It wasn't.