Garfield Cadets 1985

After we played, we were on last because they were champions the year before and we'd won prelims, we wound around Hoppy like we always did and he just looked at us and said "Not this year, folks." and walked away. If you watch the video, you can see A) a ton of us out of step on the #1 side of the field in back and the form not clicking and B) Hoppy himself leaving and walking on the track half way through the tune. He says that's one of the moments in drum corps he regrets the most: leaving the finals performance half-way through the final run.

Gotta say - to hear this about GH is disappointing. You stand with your group no matter what happens on the field. You guys won 2 prior championships and after you perform what you all think is a show that did not win he walks away? Even worse during the show?

Edited by LincolnV

Gotta say - to hear this about GH is disappointing. You stand with your group no matter what happens on the field. You guys won 2 prior championships and after you perform what you all think is a show that did not win he walks away? Even worse during the show?

In his defense, he does say openly that that's his biggest regret. I think he was disappointed in the fact we weren't going to have the perfect show we were striving for more than anything. Also, remember he was a young guy! At that point he'd been director for only his 3rd year and he was the ripe old age of 26? Maybe 27? Listen, if poor behavior became a crime, I'd probably have a life sentence. I was a knucklehead in my youth. Like I said, he's openly repentent about that moment. It's on the Cadets Championship years DVD in the interview section. I'd cut him some slack. He's older and wiser now.

@ Dr. Pangloss- Sorry about that. I'm one of "those" guys because I marched through '87 as well. It sounds dumb coming from me, but I feel your pain. You guys were a great corps. Every year. All respect. Believe it or not, when I was in basic training for the Air Force 20+ years ago, it was SCV's exit, the "Red Pony" in '85 that kept coming into my head like a dog-roll when I needed to find a "happy place". I loved that piece. I wish I got to play it. No hard feelings.

well, it's been 27 years so I should be able to reply in this thread ....

nope, still not over it!:sad:

Steve

SCV 1985

Someone posted SCV 1985 high-camera on youtube last week.

It's nice to see all the drill as opposed to the DCI broadcast/FN/DVD.

It would be nice to see a high-camera version of Garfield.

SCV 1985

In his defense, he does say openly that that's his biggest regret. I think he was disappointed in the fact we weren't going to have the perfect show we were striving for more than anything. Also, remember he was a young guy! At that point he'd been director for only his 3rd year and he was the ripe old age of 26? Maybe 27? Listen, if poor behavior became a crime, I'd probably have a life sentence. I was a knucklehead in my youth. Like I said, he's openly repentent about that moment. It's on the Cadets Championship years DVD in the interview section. I'd cut him some slack. He's older and wiser now.

You make a good point.

Edited by LincolnV

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Oh, and one more thing. The stand-still sop solo in Candide where he warbles on the high note is a mistake. He never did that before. He said his chops were gone and he was trying to hold the note and he just kind of shook off of it for a second. The rest of the solo came out fine. For most people it's another mistake that probably sounds fine or intentional. It wasn't.

From his own words on the Cadet Alumni site:

"The best part about the crack was hearing all of the dopey HS bands that actually wrote it into their shows the following fall!! Well......if you're gonna miss, make it musical!!"

:cool:/>

well, it's been 27 years so I should be able to reply in this thread ....

nope, still not over it! :sad:

Steve

SCV 1985

Both SCV and GC had fun openers to watch but I wasn't too keen on the Tenderland repeat we did; '84's version was magical with the push and down/soft ending whereas '85 felt more forced. '85 Finals was only the second time my parents (who lived in Oregon) ever saw me perform in my two years in SCV (their first was '84 Pacific Procession); they surprised me by being there and not telling me ahead of time they were coming, so that kind of put a different spin on the whole age out experience. My dad later asked in the parking lot why the crowd reacted the way they did.

Edited by TRacer

@ Dr. Pangloss- Sorry about that. I'm one of "those" guys because I marched through '87 as well. It sounds dumb coming from me, but I feel your pain. You guys were a great corps. Every year. All respect. Believe it or not, when I was in basic training for the Air Force 20+ years ago, it was SCV's exit, the "Red Pony" in '85 that kept coming into my head like a dog-roll when I needed to find a "happy place". I loved that piece. I wish I got to play it. No hard feelings.

No hard feelings at all! Perhaps I exagerated just a wee bit when I said I wasn't over it. I was a "rook-out" in 85 so that was my one shot at a ring which probably made the sting just a little bit "stingier" :lookaround:/>/> No worries, though. An incredible experience and one of the best years of my life.

I watch the 85 DVD all the time and as much as I wish we could have won the title, Garfield was just amazing and it is still one of my favorite shows. If you have to lose, it is nice to lose to that amazing corps!