Garfield Cadets 1985

Man....roll that back one year and it sounds sooooo familiar!

BD had been the standard for 10 years. In the three times they lost ('78, '81, '83), the average was under 0.5. Love 'em, hate 'em or envy 'em, that's impressive.

The 1984 Blue Devils were very good; no one can deny that. Because of drums, it can easily be said that they were the Most Balanced Corps of the year. But if Miss Congeniality doesn't win Miss America, is that really consolation?

I see it this way: something Brand New vs. Same Old, Same Old. BD found their groove in 1975 and just stuck with it. Corps had to play catch-up and usually didn't. But that 1984 groove (rut?) was compared to a corps that did what no other had done: won DCI and followed w/ a completely new show. Cesario said, "We were just doing our wacky thing TO 'West Side Story' which had a lot of heart." True, but their "wacky thing" was -- and probably still is -- the most dramatic change in the course of one year that DCI has ever seen. Because of Percussion, Garfield got lucky that the rest of the show was judged so highly.

In fewer words, Garfield was rewarded with taking extreme risk while BD was pushed aside with their typical showing.

But that 1984 groove (rut?) was compared to a corps that did what no other had done: won DCI and followed w/ a completely new show.

My source is corpsreps.com. 1980 SCV lists "Selections from Evita" while 1981 lists "Don't Cry For Me..." If SCV was the first to completely (read: 100%) change their show, props to them.

My source is corpsreps.com. 1980 SCV lists "Selections from Evita" while 1981 lists "Don't Cry For Me..." If SCV was the first to completely (read: 100%) change their show, props to them.

Actually, 84 was the first year BD didn't repeat a chart (except for the NY Fantasy tag at the end, but that was only the last 30 seconds or so), so the contention that Garfield pushed ahead while BD stayed stagnant isn't accurate. THAT was 83 for BD (which was a rehash of 3 of the 5 charts from 82...T.O., Paradox, One More Time, Chuck Corea. Hell, they were even in the same PLACE...opener, perc solo, concert.)

And 84 wasn't a sudden change for Garfield...it WAS the culmination of changes that started in 82, but your end point is valid.

And 84 wasn't a sudden change for Garfield...it WAS the culmination of changes that started in 82, but your end point is valid.

BD 1983 is the least respectable DCI show for me (right up there w/ SCV 1989). They were the first to go undefeated--nobody even came close. 1982 still stands as one of the greatest shows I've ever seen. But to repeat so much of it the next year was really a disservice to the entire activity. (And I don't care what they say, but every judge compared '83 to '82.)

Anyway, Garfield's "culmination" began after 1st tour in 1981 when they brought on M. Cesario, but I know what you mean.

(Really, DCP? Are you STILL doing a spell check on "Cesario?" And "DCP?" and "DCI?")

BD 1983 is the least respectable DCI show for me (right up there w/ SCV 1989). They were the first to go undefeated--nobody even came close. 1982 still stands as one of the greatest shows I've ever seen. But to repeat so much of it the next year was really a disservice to the entire activity. (And I don't care what they say, but every judge compared '83 to '82.)

Anyway, Garfield's "culmination" began after 1st tour in 1981 when they brought on M. Cesario, but I know what you mean.

(Really, DCP? Are you STILL doing a spell check on "Cesario?" And "DCP?" and "DCI?")

Actually, from being there, wasn't the process like this:

1. 27th releases George Zingali from their design and instructional staff. Garfield drum instructor George Hopkins gets corps director Dr. Richard Santo to hire Zingali.

2. Santo resigns after naming Hopkins new director. Hopkins hires his college room mate at West Chester State and fellow snare drummer at Crossmen, Thom Hannum to take over Garfield's drums.

3. Hopkins begins dialogue with Cesario.

4. Zingali convinces Hopkins that a M&M drum corps should actually march and move, and GZ changes style of movement of corps. Cesario enters picture with corps membership. Corps leaps from back of the pack pre-season to 3rd place in finals.

5. 14 time American Legion national champs Garfield wins first DCI championships at Miami in 1983, etc., etc.

Why is it that any discussion thread of any corps in DCI World Class always is hijacked and abducted by BD fans/alums for their own self-worship?

Move on with life. Get over your victimizations. Appreciate the other World Class corps. Discuss the OP's question about Garfield. End of rant.

Edited by drilltech1
  • Like 3

Actually, from being there, wasn't the process like this:

1. 27th releases George Zingali from their design and instructional staff. Garfield drum instructor George Hopkins gets corps director Dr. Richard Santo to hire Zingali.

2. Santo resigns after naming Hopkins new director. Hopkins hires his college room mate at West Chester State and fellow snare drummer at Crossmen, Thom Hannum to take over Garfield's drums.

3. Hopkins begins dialogue with Cesario.

4. Zingali convinces Hopkins that a M&M drum corps should actually march and move, and GZ changes style of movement of corps. Cesario enters picture with corps membership. Corps leaps from back of the pack pre-season to 3rd place in finals.

5. 14 time American Legion national champs Garfield wins first DCI championships at Miami in 1983, etc., etc.

"From being there?" Well, according to actual interviews, it was Don Angelica who brought Hopkins and Cesario together during the 1981 tour break. Angelica made Cesario tell Hopkins everything that was wrong w/ the show --- Cesario suggested giving everything an ending and calling it "A Compendium of Jazz." (And Cesario told him that the people Hop wanted to fire needed to go BEFORE Cesario came on board so it didn't look like his idea. haha) Meanwhile in Revere, Zingali's creativity was held back by George Bonfiglio and the 27th Lancers "traditions," so Zingali brought Marc Sylvester and Margaret Twiggs (etal) to Garfield in 1982. Whether or not GZ was "fired" by GB is unknown by me. Meanwhile in Jersey, Dr. Santo met w/ Hopkins in Sept. 1981, handed him the keys and said he was retiring. (Apparently, he had been putting in much of his own $ to the corps, and his wife said "no mas.")

Interesting tidbit regarding an early camp of the 1982 season: the first time the corps attempted to play "Rocky Point Holiday," Cesario looked at Hopkins and said, "They're gonna fire us. There's no point in worrying, because they're gonna fire us." haha

This all comes from the Cadets' pre-2005 season DVD set celebrating their 20th anniversary of the threepeat. There's a long one-on-one conversation w/ Hopkins/Cesario and a long round table discussion w/ Hopkins, Hannum, Bob Morrison, Michael Klesch Marc Sylvester and Margaret Twiggs. It's really great stuff for anyone interested in some DCI history. Listening to everyone talk about how the process came about is fascinating.

(I wish the Star of Indiana people would get together and reflect on their 1985-1993 times. I'd pre-order THAT DVD!)

And incidentally, 27th Lancers' stubbornness to hold onto the past led to their ultimate demise. After Garfield's 3rd place finish in '82, 27, the Bridgemen and the Crossmen all suffered big hits in recruiting.

"From being there?" Well, according to actual interviews, it was Don Angelica who brought Hopkins and Cesario together during the 1981 tour break. Angelica made Cesario tell Hopkins everything that was wrong w/ the show --- Cesario suggested giving everything an ending and calling it "A Compendium of Jazz." (And Cesario told him that the people Hop wanted to fire needed to go BEFORE Cesario came on board so it didn't look like his idea. haha) Meanwhile in Revere, Zingali's creativity was held back by George Bonfiglio and the 27th Lancers "traditions," so Zingali brought Marc Sylvester and Margaret Twiggs (etal) to Garfield in 1982. Whether or not GZ was "fired" by GB is unknown by me. Meanwhile in Jersey, Dr. Santo met w/ Hopkins in Sept. 1981, handed him the keys and said he was retiring. (Apparently, he had been putting in much of his own $ to the corps, and his wife said "no mas.")

Interesting tidbit regarding an early camp of the 1982 season: the first time the corps attempted to play "Rocky Point Holiday," Cesario looked at Hopkins and said, "They're gonna fire us. There's no point in worrying, because they're gonna fire us." haha

This all comes from the Cadets' pre-2005 season DVD set celebrating their 20th anniversary of the threepeat. There's a long one-on-one conversation w/ Hopkins/Cesario and a long round table discussion w/ Hopkins, Hannum, Bob Morrison, Michael Klesch Marc Sylvester and Margaret Twiggs. It's really great stuff for anyone interested in some DCI history. Listening to everyone talk about how the process came about is fascinating.

(I wish the Star of Indiana people would get together and reflect on their 1985-1993 times. I'd pre-order THAT DVD!)

And incidentally, 27th Lancers' stubbornness to hold onto the past led to their ultimate demise. After Garfield's 3rd place finish in '82, 27, the Bridgemen and the Crossmen all suffered big hits in recruiting.

Actual interviews? If you interviewed Don Angelica (for his version as a Cadet alum, DCI judge, and matchmaker of the activity), you are really old since Don has been dead several decades.

Dave Shaw and Hughie Mahon would probably be a good sources for Don's involvement, plus Dr. Joseph Cinzio (former director and very much living) and Dr. Eric Santo (also a Cadet alum from the time you are speaking, son of Dr. Richard Santo and father of Ryan Santo, present Cadet 2013 member in the baritone line.) Dr. Cinzio would probably affirm that it was Don Angelica who made the connections to the Crossmen's percussion staff which was in transition; Bill (forget the last name) was hired from there in '80/81 to head Cadets' percussion; he brought Hopkins along as a tech. So began that chapter.

You're are glossing over many, many pivotal aspects of Zingali's departure from 27th and the pivotal incident which forced George Bonfiglio's hand to fire GZ, and it had nothing to do with design style. Interview Denise Bonfiglio (George B's daughter) now of Santa Clara admin. or George Oliviero for fuller explanations. You are correct that Zingali-Twiggs-and Sylvester came as a team. Peggy never gets the credit she deserves for all that went into that dynamisms. She would be a wonderful source of inside info if she would ever agree to be interviewed.

The video interview you cite is a definitely "made for TV" recollection with much left unsaid, the usual Cesario flair for the dramatic, and the self applauding of those in the discussion. Many, many persons and smaller decisions were part of the transformation. History for TV has a way of making itself look good.

I was present at that first camp when RPH was attempted. That description and quote are spot on. I am presuming that you have read, digested, and fact checked the official Cadet history book co-authored by Dave Shaw and Gregg Cinzio upon the Cadet' 75th in 2009. It is available online as well.

Regarding 27th, Crossmen, and Bridgemen finding it tough going was not merely a result of Garfield's success but may in fact have helped it. Separate threads can go on ad nauseum about each of these great traditions and how their homebases and corps were changing...27th allowing in people from out of greater Boston (like the Pouncey brothers from the South), what was happening in St. Andrew's parish in Bayonne, and how the director of the Crossmen was bankrolling the corps as was George B at 27th because they had almost no other financing. Please do not gloss these great histories and sacrifices in but a paragraph. Too many lives were/are involved. It's very interesting history.

Edited by drilltech1