Garfield Cadets 1985

I know that Garfield's efforts in '82 go without saying, however, doesn't some credit go to what helped build the corps up to that point?

They finished 10th in '80 and 7th in '81. Didn't they also finish third in Brass in '81? I've always thought they were one "Elk's Parade" away from achieving a higher placement in '81.

Edited by LincolnV

Anyway, the point of the thread was that I've studied the show and just can't find a tear. There's a "KA-JEESH" by the drums (clearly a mistake), but the hornline all seemed to come in together. And my friends and I were at their rehearsal Finals day. I don't remember them making that mistake (which has been told happened). I do remember the DM recalling a flubbed part of "Garden"---a horn player replied, "We won (semis), didn't we?" I thought that was rather snarky. :cool:/>

• 2 weeks later...

I always thought that it was a miracle that GC won in 85 only because their original horn arranger kind of bailed on them and the staff had to throw a show together rather quickly. That they won is a testament to the talent of the corps that year and the staff that didn't bail.

I always thought that it was a miracle that GC won in 85 only because their original horn arranger kind of bailed on them and the staff had to throw a show together rather quickly. That they won is a testament to the talent of the corps that year and the staff that didn't bail.

It WAS a miracle:

* They didn't get "Jeremiah" charts until March (while the other top corps had been learning theirs since November)

* Since a threepeat was unheard of, it was all about just pushing DCI to a new level ("Let's make their eyes bleed!")

*They were still inventing things as they went along

Find me a show with sicker field coverage. In "Jeremiah" before the snare feature, just LOOK at where every section is located. Not to mention the drum break in "Candide." The form is just huge. Corps are larger now but don't come close to that. Wow.

• 3 weeks later...

Was 1985 the year that GH said they hardly practiced at all, they were THAT good?

Anyway, you can hear the mistake as a "da-da-DOOSH" when the battery comes in at the very beginning of Candide.

I had no idea the soprano solo in Candide's flutter was a mistake!

Did I hear/read correctly that GH wasn't even present for the scores? I seem to recall him saying that a few staff were nearby having a drink, and couldn't believe it when they heard they'd won (and by a MILE, really).