Dear DCA Admin Team

This was a perfect example of technology and cooperation... Here's the facts:

The stadium has a state of the art lightning detector that goes off whenever lightning strikes within 8 miles of the stadium.

DCA contractually was required to empty the stands when the detector went off.

The stands could not be refilled until one half hour after no strikes within the 8 mile limit.

Since Annapolis has a 10PM noise curfew

This is becoming true everywhere.

Even where I teach HS band.

One day, there was a lightening strike about 8 miles away and within a few minutes, my boss called me and his assistant rolled over to my rehearsal field to tell me we had to go inside until an hour after the final strike. This also means, I had to know when the last strike was. lol.

Its a pain, but necessary in many cases for safety.

If anyone really blamed DCA for this they are RIDICULOUS. I wasnt able to be there, but from all I heard it was a great time and DCA managed very well in some difficult circumstances as they ALWAYS do.

This past Thursday we had band rehearsal. We were out for an hour and we got the word...DONE! The lightning detector went off and the football team, baseball team and he marching band headed inside.

This was a perfect example of technology and cooperation... Here's the facts:

The stadium has a state of the art lightning detector that goes off whenever lightning strikes within 8 miles of the stadium.

DCA contractually was required to empty the stands when the detector went off.

The stands could not be refilled until one half hour after no strikes within the 8 mile limit.

This is now common almost everywhere. Recently I was leaving a school after a meeting when a siren went off. The host for the meeting told us there was a strike within 8 miles and the alarm warned everyone on all their athletic fields. As I reached my car, I heard the first loud rumble....... I'm a believer.....

Since Annapolis has a 10PM noise curfew, DCA was prepared to run the last 3 corps at 9AM Sunday morning as a "prelude" to the Alumni show.

The Mayor of Annapolis, waved the curfew - the show went on after lightning moved out of the area.

Wonderful handling of a very bad weather situation.

Thank you for sharing this information with us, Tom......... the curfew was part of the discussion in here.....now we have yet another example of Annapolis as a gracious and understanding host.

Thanks,

Joe Dz in NJ

I was watching on the DCA fan network. I thought for sure they were going to call it for the night. I dozed off and woke up to Reading's 1812. When they finished I scrolled back and saw what I had missed. Thanks to the corps and DCA for finishing the show and to all at the DCA Fan Network for an awesome weekend of viewing.

We left during the second delay, sure that with the curfew no additional corps would perform. We were very surprised to find that the final 3 had gone on.

Perhaps if their had been some old technology used, like a bull horn, in the concourse area so that people had a better idea of what was happening?

We know now for next year though!

P.S. LOVED the venue AND the whole Annapolis area! :thumbup:

• Like 1

This is how it worked. It was very simple.

When the stadium manager told us to stop the show, we stopped the show. When he gave us the all clear to resume, we resumed. They have rules. We followed the rules. PERIOD. We called the mayor and asked for permission to go beyond 10pm because of our circumstances. He gave us permission, we finished prelims.

Done.

Edited by Glen
  • Like 2

This is how it worked. It was very simple.

When the stadium manager told us to stop the show, we stopped the show. When he gave us the all clear to resume, we resumed. They have rules. We followed the rules. PERIOD. We called the mayor and asked for permission to go beyond 10pm because of our circumstances. He gave us permission, we finished prelims.

Done.

No doubt DCA did a fine job of a very bad situation.

Special kudos to the Mayor, who made an executive decision to waive the curfew ordinance. Some politicians wouldn't have the intestinal fortitude to do such a thing.

What he said :worthy::thumbup: