Just a Thought....

PRESENTATION... That is what I keep forgetting. Thanks Grandpa.

Spoken Narrative should be a voice in your head. Reverb effects on trumpet solos can be created by TWO soloist in different parts of the field, facing different directions, timed differently... Pipe organs can be muted horns played back field. Helicopters are drums.... Tin is thunder... The front pit should resemble a 1940s radio hour with sound effects that are man made.

I posted that elsewhere and was about to bring it up here again when I saw yours. I don't even remember what corps it was (maybe Cadets?) - their soloist was mic'ed and had an echo/reverb effect on. I immediately thought, why don't they use 2 players rather than electronics. I remember some older shows where you'd have the 2 players back to back, the one facing forward playing the solo and the one facing back playing an echo of it.

PRESENTATION... That is what I keep forgetting. Thanks Grandpa.

Has anyone ever sat through a "great" PowerPoint presentation? Not many people have. A great PowerPoint presentation is very minimal with only headlines and key talking points. An APPLE keynote speech is a great example of a great PowerPoint presentation. On the other hand you have the usual teacher given PowerPoint Presentation. These have 100s of slides with every note needed for your test and you are bored senseless... WHY??? No sense of self within the presentation. There is no need to engage and think.

Modern shows are taking away the sense of "WONDER" by putting to much in. By this form of presentation, the shows are starting to bore people. Put the sense of "WONDER" back into the shows by "TRUSTING" the audience and taking things away. Judges need to let the corps take things out.

Spoken Narrative should be a voice in your head. Reverb effects on trumpet solos can be created by TWO soloist in different parts of the field, facing different directions, timed differently... Pipe organs can be muted horns played back field. Helicopters are drums.... Tin is thunder... The front pit should resemble a 1940s radio hour with sound effects that are man made.

The designers do not trust themselves enough to take elements away and tell the story in its simplest form. These same designers do not trust that YOU will understand it. They are forced by judges scoring to put it ALL out there without sense of WONDER...

And we let them.

and we let them?...lol...ok........you seem to have decided just how an entire show should or shouldnt be put together and seem to have a handle on what people like or feel....you should get out there and put it into action...seriously...variety in concepts are good and different ways of thinking are good. We should never think or want everyone to feel the same. A new ( or old ) view should be welcomed :smile:

there isnt alot of difference as far as I think...evolve , sure, also a BUGLE ( do they even make those things anymore ? ) didnt chage anything and isnt what made it different from MB, brass is brass no matter how many valves or if it had a rotor...but if thats how youn feel...thats cool...dont know what you can do about that but hey youre entitled

Actually they are still made and the horns are built differently. I am not talking about the number of valves. I am talking about the bore and construction of the instrument. That conical bore construction created a different projection of sound and the ability to easily hear the overtone series... Hense why they were louder.

but... brass is just brass.

Welcome to the brass band world.

I know we will never get the bugles back, I was simply stating that this is the point in time where I saw Drum and Bugle corps turning into Marching Bands. And it has happened.

Edited by Kevin Powell
  • Like 1

and we let them?...lol...ok........you seem to have decided just how an entire show should or shouldnt be put together and seem to have a handle on what people like or feel....you should get out there and put it into action...seriously...variety in concepts are good and different ways of thinking are good. We should never think or want everyone to feel the same. A new ( or old ) view should be welcomed :smile:

to many varieties in concept is bad. That is the only point.

Yes, "we let them" every time we spend money on them. So that is a fair statement.

I posted that elsewhere and was about to bring it up here again when I saw yours. I don't even remember what corps it was (maybe Cadets?) - their soloist was mic'ed and had an echo/reverb effect on. I immediately thought, why don't they use 2 players rather than electronics. I remember some older shows where you'd have the 2 players back to back, the one facing forward playing the solo and the one facing back playing an echo of it.

Because they do not have to and it is easier with less chance of human error with amps and electronics. It is an easy button for a similar effect that they will get judged the same on.

The electronics removes human error - to me it is an error but I need not go there.

And the old way is an amazing effect that works.

Edited by Kevin Powell

to many varieties in concept is bad. That is the only point.

Yes, "we let them" every time we spend money on them. So that is a fair statement.

again you are statinf YOUR personal choice an opinion on show design..which is fine....but doesnt mean anyone has to follow it..... as far as the Wwe let them ..i'll let that go..lol....but do you feel that way of most or many corps? just askin

Actually they are still made and the horns are built differently. I am not talking about the number of valves. I am talking about the bore and construction of the instrument. That conical bore construction created a different projection and the ability to easily hear the overtone series...

but... brass is just brass.

Welcome to the brass band world.

ok i respect how you feel...not that we have to agree.. as a horn player from BITD i never agreed with loud was good either...lol...oh well :smile:I do get what youre saying about point in time when changed happened

Edited by GUARDLING

That's our general difference I think - I'd love to hear the "drum corps version" of the Organ Symphony.. somehow arranged for brass and drums only, to see what they come up with to fit the instrumentation. I'm not there to hear an actual organ and piano in the piece.

That has happened already, re PR 1990 (and other years).

If they were to recyale the piece, I'd rather they do it with all of the elements available to them today, as they did the last time they performed the piece. Electronics ARE part of the instrumentation of drum corps. To not want them to use electronics is like saying they should leave out the mellos or the snares just to see how it sounds.

ok i respect how you feel...not that we have to agree.. as a horn player from BITD i never agreed with loud was good either...lol...oh well :smile:I do get what youre saying about point in time when changed happened

not to beat the horse but the projection of sound for bugles was also better in the quiet moments... which is what I was a fan of. You hear the entire overtone series and it is like angels on the field. I miss that. SCV was the best at those quiet moments and finding the angels in the horns.

not to beat the horse but the projection of sound for bugles was also better in the quiet moments... which is what I was a fan of. You hear the entire overtone series and it is like angels on the field. I miss that. SCV was the best at those quiet moments and finding the angels in the horns.

true and corps also played back field for softer moments, and dynamics, which was nice..i think what many horn people felt was quailty was better than loud...maybe the amp situation was in the works long before it actually happened. At least that's what some horn people have told me..I have the advantage in being a horn as a marching member( then guard ) so I understand them BUT choose to stay within my own thing of guard and visual..So when they or drum people talk ( especially drummers ) I shake my head and say ...ahhhhh ok then walk away...lol....although Ive been known to slap down a few drum as well as horn people..lol