Picking up DCI kids for the last few weeks of DCA

I just saw some FB posts of kids from Surf marching in Fusion and Bridgemen, I'm not sure if they are past alums or marched 2012. I'm just wondering how often do kids finish a DCI tour and jump on board with a local DCA corps for the end of the season. I would imagine a kid that just marched all summer could pick up a show pretty quickly.

While we are at it, has anyone jumped from DCA to finish a DCI tour? Would it be possible for a DCA young person to get a "leave" of a month or two to fill a hole on tour, then come back and finish the season in DCA?

If the topic has been discussed already I would appreciate a quick link to the thread.

Every year there are a few kids that jump into DCA corps after the DCI tour ends. Several corps availed themselves of those folks this year. I think it's pretty cool.

C2 filled their blanks after DCI's, and they were not all C1 members.

just want to say that Fusion did NOT fill any holes with DCI kids/ageouts towards the end of this season. That person who you are referring to is a fusion alum from last season.

As a "core" we tend to try to fill our spot as early in the year as possible. Obviously, sometimes corps lose members mid season for various reasons (aka real life) and we have in the past filled those holes with whoever becomes available to us, DCI ageout or otherwise.

That being said, we have NOT in the past (to my knowledge as a marching member) purposefully left holes open the whole year to have them filled at the end of the year by local kids coming off tour. Whether or not other corps strategically do that is none of my business, but I imagine that it is possible and may have happened as recently as this weekend. Who knows?

We love our alums who have moved on to the DCI world marching with likes of the Cadets, Raiders, and Jersey Surf. We welcome and encourage them to return to their Fusion Family in the coming seasons. Home will always be purple and black.

*note* I am not a Fusion administrator, nor do I speak for my administration or organization. My opinions do not necessarily reflect those of my corps. However, I exercise my first amendment rights of free speech.

This has been happening since the beginning of time...

• Like 2

MN Brass had one blank filled by an Alum after they returned from tour with the Glassmen.

I remember when I marched we had a couple of guys come to our rehearsals from the Chicago Connection wanting us to join after DCI. I had never seen a senior corps and thought it was very odd.

I would say it's not uncommon for a DCIer to fill a DCA hole after they come back from tour - perhaps they're an alumni of the DCA corps, perhaps they have a friend in the DCA corps AND for whatever reason the DCA corps has a hole less than a month before finals (as someone else said, life happens).

I do know of at least a small handful (2-4+) people who have won a DCI division II championship and a DCA championship in the same year...

in 2002, Brigadiers and Magic had a lot of overlapping staff - a few people were pulled from Brigs to go on tour with Magic for the last part of the season (and IIRC, they came back and did Brigs shows on the weekends), when the DCI season was over, they were back to being weekend warriors with Brigs.

I did it last year with a few of my friends. Aged out of Spirit of Atlanta, went to CV, learned the show in a weekend, and performed at prelims and finals. 2011 was a rough membership year for CV, and I was happy to help the corps that gave me my start in drum corps. Thankfully, we didn't have any major membership issues this year.

As for this year, I have a friend who went to C2 from Spirit of Atlanta. He tells me it was a blast, and is very grateful for the opportunity.