Fan Network Data Usage

Moving to a new house, where Comcast and Verizon are not available. No ground cables exist for any ISP, so I guess I'll be forced to use a Hotspot of some kind. Has anyone else used this for fan network broadcasts? Will it work or am I out of luck?

What about AT&T? Uverse is amazingly fast here for us. I have no experience with hotspots but my guess is that even if it is 4G it won't be fast enough.

• Like 1

No AT&T either, unfortunately.

4G might work depending on newer iPhones, you could stream to a HDTV via the apple tv module. The only hang up is that you can forget about live streaming events as they (DCI) uses HTML5 coding which is not supported by Apple. You would have to wait till it is put up in the On Demand section where the video are mp4, there for Quicktime can play them on the Apple Device.

Moving to a new house, where Comcast and Verizon are not available. No ground cables exist for any ISP, so I guess I'll be forced to use a Hotspot of some kind. Has anyone else used this for fan network broadcasts? Will it work or am I out of luck?

Depends on the hotspot connection. 4G LTE is the way to go if you don't have caps... 3G should be ok sort of....

Really depends on the wireless technology you're using...

Run a speed test on your phone. Anything over 3mbps should be good enough as long as it is sustainable...

Edited by jjeffeory

What about AT&T? Uverse is amazingly fast here for us. I have no experience with hotspots but my guess is that even if it is 4G it won't be fast enough.

4G has the potential to be faster than most other connections depending on location and the backhaul capavity of the provider.

No AT&T either, unfortunately.

Did you move to Polynesia ?

• Like 1

4G might work depending on newer iPhones, you could stream to a HDTV via the apple tv module. The only hang up is that you can forget about live streaming events as they (DCI) uses HTML5 coding which is not supported by Apple. You would have to wait till it is put up in the On Demand section where the video are mp4, there for Quicktime can play them on the Apple Device.

iPhones don't support "4G"...

Maybe the new iPhone5 will support 4G "LTE" service with Verizon ( WiMax, used by Sprint, was also 4G, but that technology is on its way out)... Everything else isn't 4G even if they try to call it that.... HSPA and HSPA+ are 3G technologies used by at&t and t-mobile and they have incorrectly marketed it as 4G because their speeds can sometimes get to lower 4G speeds. at&t is transitioning to 4G LTE technology. Sprint is transitioning to 4G LTE technology from 3G CDMA, EvDO and 4G Wimax technologies. T-Mobile is likely going to LTE some day, who knows. Verizon currently has CDMA and 4G LTE deployments. Verizon is still building out their 4G network. If you're on an older 4G plan, you may have unlimited data, but new wireless plans from all the two big carriers ( at&t, Verizon) have caps. Sprint does not.

Wireless coverage is an issue depending on where the OP is located.

3G should be enough to tether or "hotspot" if you have the coverage in your home and a cap that will let you stream video...

iPhones don't support "4G"...

Maybe the new iPhone5 will support 4G "LTE" service with Verizon ( WiMax, used by Sprint, was also 4G, but that technology is on its way out)... Everything else isn't 4G even if they try to call it that.... HSPA and HSPA+ are 3G technologies used by at&t and t-mobile and they have incorrectly marketed it as 4G because their speeds can sometimes get to lower 4G speeds. at&t is transitioning to 4G LTE technology. Sprint is transitioning to 4G LTE technology from 3G CDMA, EvDO and 4G Wimax technologies. T-Mobile is likely going to LTE some day, who knows. Verizon currently has CDMA and 4G LTE deployments. Verizon is still building out their 4G network. If you're on an older 4G plan, you may have unlimited data, but new wireless plans from all the two big carriers ( at&t, Verizon) have caps. Sprint does not.

Wireless coverage is an issue depending on where the OP is located.

3G should be enough to tether or "hotspot" if you have the coverage in your home and a cap that will let you stream video...

Yes, I guess I should have said the New iPhone that will be out. I currently have a 4S and am able to stream very well on 3G, but once again you can't stream live events as it is HTML5 coding that Apple does not support. Don't know about other mobil devices. I only know what my phone will do.

Yes, I guess I should have said the New iPhone that will be out. I currently have a 4S and am able to stream very well on 3G, but once again you can't stream live events as it is HTML5 coding that Apple does not support. Don't know about other mobil devices. I only know what my phone will do.

..and if you're using your phone as a hotspot to your laptop, that won't matter much; the phone will simply pass the data to the laptop, which will support flash.

I totally think that a good 3G connection will work, but the OP really needs to run some speed tests from his/her new home and see what the data rate would be.

I have 4GLTE service, and it's good out in town. At home, not so much... It's really a crap shoot. music.gif