Fan Network Data Usage

4G LTE is really awesome, but in order to get it now as a new plan you have to bend yourself over for a capped data plan. They charge you more money so you can blow through your allotted data faster. It's genius really. The other thing with LTE, depending on the spectrum frequency, it might not have great building penetration. I know Verizon's doesn't.

At least with Verizon's new share everything plan, if you have a smartphone, the hotspot tethering is free although it still pulls from your pool of shared data.

EDIT: Just saw you had Verizon not available.

Sprint has a few cities now with LTE and their building out that network. If you're in one of those cities, get on that train ASAP while they still have unlimited data.

4G LTE is really awesome, but in order to get it now as a new plan you have to bend yourself over for a capped data plan. They charge you more money so you can blow through your allotted data faster. It's genius really. The other thing with LTE, depending on the spectrum frequency, it might not have great building penetration. I know Verizon's doesn't.

At least with Verizon's new share everything plan, if you have a smartphone, the hotspot tethering is free although it still pulls from your pool of shared data.

EDIT: Just saw you had Verizon not available.

Sprint has a few cities now with LTE and their building out that network. If you're in one of those cities, get on that train ASAP while they still have unlimited data.

Sprint doesn't have caps, so that would be the way to go providing they have coverage.

I still have Verizon's unlimited data plan, but coverage isn't that great indoors where I live. Flatter areas may fare better!

Caps are going to kill all this wireless internet craze.

I figured I would probably have to get something like the AT&T Elevate or the newest Verizon Jetpack.

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone using one of the hotspot devices I listed above?

I know that DirecTV used to have a dish service for internet connectivity. The drawback is that their equipment cost was kind of pricey. I don't know if they still offer it. I've used DirecTV for TV for years, and have found it much superior to cable. The only qualification is that the area where you are locating the dish must have a clear view towards the southern sky (no trees/buildings in close proximity). If you are in a situation where you can't or don't want to attach a dish to a structure, it can be attached to a pole inserted into the ground. Just another possibility, and you won't some of the issues you might with Hotspots, 3G/4G and possible data charges.

4G might work depending on newer iPhones, you could stream to a HDTV via the apple tv module. The only hang up is that you can forget about live streaming events as they (DCI) uses HTML5 coding which is not supported by Apple. You would have to wait till it is put up in the On Demand section where the video are mp4, there for Quicktime can play them on the Apple Device.

This is NOT the case. Not exactly, anyway.

The Fan Network streams using Flash, not html5. Apple iPhones and iPods can't decode Flash, so you cannot watch live streams. Mac computers, however, can, and if you use your iPhone as a tether, you can indeed watch the live streams. If the FN streamed in html5, any Apple device would work.

Many of us have been asking for the Fan Network to dump Flash as a streaming service, as it's outdated, buggy, and has major quality issues. Most live streaming on the net has moved to other formats, and the FN needs to join them. Drumcat, who produces FN content, has told us he is hoping for that as well. Here's to the format change to html5 in 2013. It's long overdue.

• Like 1

This is NOT the case. Not exactly, anyway.

The Fan Network streams using Flash, not html5. Apple iPhones and iPods can't decode Flash, so you cannot watch live streams. Mac computers, however, can, and if you use your iPhone as a tether, you can indeed watch the live streams. If the FN streamed in html5, any Apple device would work.

Many of us have been asking for the Fan Network to dump Flash as a streaming service, as it's outdated, buggy, and has major quality issues. Most live streaming on the net has moved to other formats, and the FN needs to join them. Drumcat, who produces FN content, has told us he is hoping for that as well. Here's to the format change to html5 in 2013. It's long overdue.

AMEN

• Like 1

I have a "grandfathered" unlimited T-mobile 3G Data plan that tethers to my Laptop. I subscribed to DCA Live Prelims on the Fan Network and watched on Wireless internet for about 5 hours (got tired and stopped waitng for rain delay). I had about three almost data timeouts, ie picture got a little fuzzy but audio was not not affected. I consumed 1.5 gb during that time period which included regular browsing and watching the DCP Prelim Blog. Again, I was on a "3G" device (HTC HD2) so I imagine that T-mo 4G, or any other 4G services should perform better. I live in the Columbia Mo area and I can see the cell tower looking out my window.......

I just want to say that the Fan Network is such a great platform. I have seen arguments that having the Fan Network decreases ticket sales. But for me, even being from Columbia, I could not afford a trip to Indy for DCI Champs, let alone Annapolis so DCI and DCA still benefited from my subscription rather zero dollars for tickets I could not buy.....

Best of both worlds in my opinion.

Corby

I have an AT&T Elevate that I use at my office on the 49th floor in Chicago. I get really bad 3G signal in this location, but the 4G LTE hotspot works great here. Keep in mind that the base contract is $50/month for 5GB and $10/1GB overage after that. Live streaming would eat the 5GB up really fast.