A Teeny Tiny Mini Corps Review

Mini Corps

Only got to see 1 ¾ mini corps, but I’ll recap them anyway.

Centurions – I loved the uniforms and had a blast listening to the music. I can’t quite remember what it was right now, but I know I was groovin’ in the end zone with you guys. You all seemed like you were having so much fun performing. I wish I could have seen the whole show. Also loved the two young gentlemen performing. I congratulated them on the way off the field and they seemed very excited. I love to see stuff like that.

Freelancers Alumni – We performed selections from Jesus Christ Superstar. We were darn happy with that performance and thrilled to see the audience so into it. It was a bit of a risk for us but I think it was worth it. As the announcement said, this was to be our show music in 95 when we had to fold and I was a member of that corps so it was an amazing feeling to finally play that music 17 years later. On an additional note, we did get chastised by a fan or two for not saying, “Live from Sacramento, the Freelancers.” Didn’t quite fit in with our Jesus Christ Superstar theme this year. “Live from Sacramento, the Crucifixion” doesn’t quite have the same ring to it. :blink: Next year.

Minne Brass – Didn’t see a lick of your show but you receive a huge honorable mention for helping me and Bo with the pit equipment and drum cart up the tunnel hill. My corpmates were so excited, deservedly so, that they forgot about that part where some of them are supposed to grab those things making noise behind them all show long and take them off the field. :tongue: But you guys were awesome and, like the cool cats that you are, helped us get that stuff up the tunnel hill. Thanks for the help, and now that I’m home I can’t wait to see your show and all the other groups I missed as well.

Ghost Riders – Caught the very last tune standing in the tunnel waiting to go to my seat. Couldn’t see a thing, but you sounded beautiful and amazing as always.

Star United – As always excited to see you guys. First off, love the DM’s new uniform. She looked beautiful! She also got some stellar compliments on her conducting from a few Freelancers who had never been out to DCA before. Liked this show a lot. I liked last year’s show a bit more, but I also have the nostalgia of being on tour in 93 and seeing that show over and over again. Also, what do you do after scoring 100? No pressure. :bigsmile: I say this again, and I’ll say it every year, watching you makes me mad because your playing skills are so out of this world and to know I’ll never be that good only perturbs me. Regardless, great job and congrats on the win.

General Note: I know as a competition the mini corps part of I&E has outgrown the ballroom type facility we had in Rochester but I don’t know if putting the mini corps on the field was quite the way to go. It seems the sound gets a little lost and washed out. I don’t quite have a solution, maybe a theater or amphitheater, but the field doesn’t seem quite intimate enough. Some people have mentioned trying to utilize the Dock area next year. I don’t know logistically how you’d do that. At our At the Docks performance on Thursday I didn’t see an area that could accommodate our performances, not to mention the distance from the first part of I&E. All that being said, I know the DCA Admin has to work with what they’ve got and since we had to be on the field I loved the decision to put us at the end of the field facing the stands like that. I think it was the best choice with the venue options we had.

Can’t wait for next year.

• Like 1