Alumni Spectacular Review

IMHO it's a sad state of affairs when an event is reviewed by a participant , and then the thread is hijacked by a bunch of folks who weren't there and the discussion shifts to alumni corps who could have been there but weren't.

To the enthusiastic crowd that was there - THANK YOU!

I was there. I'm appreciative that someone wrote a review of the show.

There are numerous alumni corps that would jump at the chance to perform. So many, in fact, that I believe DCA has had to limit the number of corps to 10 for time and logistics reasons.

I think DCA limits the amount of Corps participating mainly because of paying them. This year there were 12 but only 10 were paid. They don't make as much money, and the attendance isn't as big as at the regular show. For those of us who participate it is a lot of fun and hard work. We all appreciate the crowd and the reviews, that's part of the reason we do it. I would love to see all corps participate but don't see it happening any time soon. :cool:

I think DCA limits the amount of Corps participating mainly because of paying them. This year there were 12 but only 10 were paid. They don't make as much money, and the attendance isn't as big as at the regular show. For those of us who participate it is a lot of fun and hard work. We all appreciate the crowd and the reviews, that's part of the reason we do it. I would love to see all corps participate but don't see it happening any time soon. :cool:

There is also the issue of the length of time between Alumni show and Finals. Not sure of what issues are involved. Do know that DCA was very concerned that the Alumni corps did not go overtime in their alloted time. (First time I heard about this so really noticed it.)

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

There is also the issue of the length of time between Alumni show and Finals. Not sure of what issues are involved. Do know that DCA was very concerned that the Alumni corps did not go overtime in their alloted time. (First time I heard about this so really noticed it.)

I'm not sure about Annapolis, Jim, but in previous seasons (Rochester) we were told not to go onto the grass because our timing would begin then, and we would be fined for any overtime. I don't know if they ever did it, but that's what I was told. Personally, I think that a two-point penalty rather than a monetary fine would be a better deterrent. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

There is also the issue of the length of time between Alumni show and Finals.

That's a big issue.

There is only so much time in a day... and there is a pretty short turnaround between the end of the Alumni show and the start of Finals.

• Like 1

Yes each corps is timed and told not to go over it or it will cost them something. Apparently this year they had enought time to include 3 more corps, since for a few years we have had 9 corps. I am told the same thing, clean up and getting ready for the finals, which is important, but......I think they do alright with the Alumni Corps it's just business decisions. :cool:

• 3 months later...

Well the crowd may be smaller because of COST also. Remember with Prelims and Finals Tickets going up. Many have to deside WHICH things to go see. I usualy go to Prelims and Alumni shows. I use to go to Mini Corps Show (which is FREE). But it has just become a Small (20) Brass Ensemble with a (1) Drum Set person. AND, most music is the New type stuff.

I know that a few years ago at Alumni Classiic. . I sat in an area that had many from Michigan, Minnesota, and California. They had never seen an Alumni Show. They enjoyed them selves. Were Suprised with the Quality of the Corps. They had many questions that I was lucky enough to have answers for. (I have marched with some for a few years)

I hope they (the Alumni Corps) keep playing Music, and March Old style. Keep it an Entertaining, "History" type thing.

Edited by 2B or not 2B

Well the crowd may be smaller because of COST also. Remember with Prelims and Finals Tickets going up. Many have to deside WHICH things to go see. I usualy go to Prelims and Alumni shows. I use to go to Mini Corps Show (which is FREE). But it has just become a Small (20) Brass Ensemble with a (1) Drum Set person. AND, most music is the New type stuff.

Really?

May I ask what to you is "the New type stuff"? And also may I ask what it is that you think Mini corps should be and play in your opinion?

:blink:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Really?

May I ask what to you is "the New type stuff"? And also may I ask what it is that you think Mini corps should be and play in your opinion?

:blink:/>

You know - New Type Stuff - Aquarius, MacArthurs Park, Guys & Dolls... Long hair hippy new stuff.

These kids today...

Now... what was I doing... I was working on something here... I'm at my desk... this IS my desk isn't it? Hope so that's my wife's picture on the desk.... dang memory...

• Like 1

Those crazy hippies..... :tongue: