Prelims Review

• 1 month later...

Cincinnati Tradition (15 Brass/8 Front Ensemble/8 Guard/2DM/13 Battery) was next on in the broiler. They were on the fringe of challenging for a finals spot with theit Kenton-based program, performing such chestnuts as "Here's That Rainy Day", "Artistry in Percussion", "Artistry in Rhythm", "Send in the Clowns", and "Malaga". Solid choices spanning most of the main body and thrust of Kenton's work over four decades.

Their battery pushed and drove their overall ensemble. THeir soloists in Send on the Clowns and Malaga did fine work.

The hornline needs to assert itself at times, and they seemed to run out of juice during Malaga- quality issues became evident.

The pieces are there for the corps to keep moving forward and growing as an entity. I think the programming choice is a good one and that they could continue to explore large ensemble jazz in the future- but, then again, I am an admitted Kenton addict. Once they can get the percussion and brass elments and programming to flow smoothly along and segue from element to element with strength and quality, they'll be very good stead. For a young competitive corps still growing and learning in a tough DCA A Class, I think they have a solid future if they keep pushing.

We are glad you enjoyed our program last season. While we are not exploring jazz this year, we do hope that you and everyone enjoy our production that we are putting on this year. :)