Troopers 2013

Tim K...there will be no scheduling conflict between the Canadian shows and the New England shows. One will be before the other, not at the same time. The conflict that Troop would face would be going back west for their home show and DATR.

Tim K...there will be no scheduling conflict between the Canadian shows and the New England shows. One will be before the other, not at the same time. The conflict that Troop would face would be going back west for their home show and DATR.

They BETTER come to DATR!!

I really want to see a Robert W. Smith show.

Indeed, and at what cost? It appears that since 2006, they have attempted to do the right thing financially. I'd guess that the appearance fee and souvie sales to come back to be at DATR last year from Chicago didn't even cover the fuel costs one way. Venue aside, is DATR the big mecca it is made out to be?

As for the home show, from what I saw, it was an afterthought that just happened to work out to cover the costs as a replacement for the old Loveland/Windsor show that BK used to run. 1,200 miles one way for a couple of shows?

I dunno, just thinking out loud.

Indeed, and at what cost? It appears that since 2006, they have attempted to do the right thing financially. I'd guess that the appearance fee and souvie sales to come back to be at DATR last year from Chicago didn't even cover the fuel costs one way. Venue aside, is DATR the big mecca it is made out to be?

As for the home show, from what I saw, it was an afterthought that just happened to work out to cover the costs as a replacement for the old Loveland/Windsor show that BK used to run. 1,200 miles one way for a couple of shows?

I dunno, just thinking out loud.

No doubt there was a cost to coming back across the country for the home show. But it was an incredible success for the corps in their hometown, bringing a new level excitement not seen in a few years. It looks like it was a financial success, too.

This was the first year the corps felt organizationally capable of properly hosting a show. The Loveland show came about because Troopers couldn't host a show, and it did work out that Loveland couldn't host this year when the corps finally felt ready. Ideally there would be a Casper, Cheyenne/Ft.Collins/Loveland, Denver minitour.

IDK whether it makes financial sense to head west at the start of the season instead of starting out in the midwest, but a western swing would at least enable Troop to swing through Wyo/Colo/Utah for home(ish) shows on their way east, preventing the need to make a run back home from some spot in the Midwest and then hightail it back out to the Midwest to continue tour. Then again, maybe all that travel comes out in the wash. A mile is a mile.

If the corps runs move-ins/all-days in Indiana as it did last year, a Western leg to the season becomes more of a burden.Still, the Casper newspaper published this in July: "Morris has said he will submit Casper as a show site for the 2013 summer season when DCI holds its scheduling meeting in September."

Troopers have been working harder in recent years to deepen their ties with Wyoming music educators. They run a winter program in Wyoming. They are, officially, "Wyoming's Musical Ambassadors." They get support from the state university. At some point, they need to show up in Wyoming and play. The Casper show this summer was a sellout, or purt' near. The VIP/fundraiser event before the show was a sellout. The lineup was small, but good: Troop, Cascades, Phantom, SCV and BAC.

And DATR is the biggest show west of San Antonio.

Isolation and monster travel is nothing new to Troop. They invented the touring corps.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman

The news that keeps coming out of the corps is pretty fantastic. And it looks like the members are pretty pleased as well...which is good, since I know a lot of people were pretty shaken when we woke up one day to find our entire staff posting resignations.

As they say: all's well that ends well!

From the Troopers website:

"The Troopers welcome Andy Ebert as the 2013 Drill Designer."

Troopers Website

Holy crap.

• Like 1