Troopers 2013

History won't repeat itself. I was there in '79 and it won't happen again.

Why? Do you think that the judges SHOULD slot? I think that it is a good thing to have shocking results if the performances dictate!

Why? Do you think that the judges SHOULD slot? I think that it is a good thing to have shocking results if the performances dictate!

August 17, 1979 is the only time Crossmen and Troopers went head to head that entire tour. It was one show, one judge panel, and one day. This year is different.

Edited by xbones7480

ahhh old rivalries, new year. Play nice, guys. :smile:

In any case, Pinwiz does an excellent job with his assessment, and I'm in agreement. We've got to beef up a few things to keep pushing forward!

• Like 2

As cool as that would be, this isn't the 70's anymore and jumping from not making finals to 7th/8th just doesn't happen. Sorry. They shown last night they are still in the finals race, but they far from proved at being able to keep up to competition that is 5 points ahead of them.

See my response (#367 in this thread) to an earlier comment on being stuck in the past. For ANY corps performance on the field should be scored as appropriate for the given performance. If Troopers put out a performance that is better than another corps, Cavies, BD, SCV, et, then they should get the score. Not a score based slotting

PS - again I found the Dave Richards tape from 79 - here it is

• Like 1

You may be right, but being "realistic" does something to my bowels and gives me the runs...so, I'm gonna forego that attitude.

It's time for the Troopers to shed the mindset of, "maybe, just maybe we can make Saturday night," and instead don an attitude of, "We're the Troopers and you're not! Do you see the sun? It's high noon and we're gonna kick some ###!"

There is no reason that this corps can't do what the Scouts have done over the past few years.

What Granny said.

See my response (#367 in this thread) to an earlier comment on being stuck in the past. For ANY corps performance on the field should be scored as appropriate for the given performance. If Troopers put out a performance that is better than another corps, Cavies, BD, SCV, et, then they should get the score. Not a score based slotting

PS - again I found the Dave Richards tape from 79 - here it is

Wow. Never heard that before. I know Dave. If you sell it, he'll buy it enthusiastically.

Wasn't expecting goosebumps so early in the morning.

• Like 1

(whoops, double)

Edited by radiosteele

It's fun for some of us armchair drum corps dopes like me to brainstorm, but in all seriousness, the staff, the crew and the members of Troop need to be VERY happy with what they have done so far this year - they may not be completely winning the judges over yet, but they own the audience like a set of fine china.

Building on what Pinwiz so capably started....

I preface this by saying the talent is very much there - this is one bad ### group of men and women on the field this year, and they just need some more cool things to do.

Some specifics that could launch the Troopers' show into a solid finals spot:

1) The end of the percussion feature, the dissonant chord sounds like it just sits there. Take a cue from Madison 1997 and go friggin nuts. The crowd will lose it. It's just what my soul is craving in that moment.

2) Get the soloists off the sideline after the Sunburst. It causes balance issues and unless they are wailing a la BD, the ensemble needs to be the focus.

3) Their first big chord, while powerful, could use a high mello layer on top. That would kill it.

4) Yellow scarves by finals. Make it happen.

5) I second Pinwiz on crazy-### bananas bumblebee drill the last 30 seconds or so, because the "11" doesn't show up that well. The kids are marching the crap out of it, it's just laid out a bit skewed. Suggestion: end with one perfectly straight and symmetrical HUGE "11"....and have our old-school homegirl with the flag *run* down the middle to the sideline during the last 4 measures (a reprise of the ballad move - makes sense). Babies - I promise you.

6) A few note runs in the opener. It feels like a more traditional arrangement, and while awesome, needs to be competitive.

Useless opinion concluded. Everybody has one, just like........ (well, OK)

Edited by radiosteele
  • Like 7

August 17, 1979 is the only time Crossmen and Troopers went head to head that entire tour. It was one show, one judge panel, and one day. This year is different.

Yes, it is much different! Troopers have a hornline that is just as good as the corps it is competing against! Not like in 79 when we were pretty ###### mediocre, but, we had sets of brass balls the size of cantalopes! Troopers have been beating a lot of corps in percussion, and in 79 we were not nearly as talented as the corps in the 10-14 range! Troopers have a colorguard which is beating or close to many of the guards in Crossmen, Blue Stars, etc instead of, once again, a cg that was overperforming! Troopers have a solid show design with few glaring weaknesses, but, in 79 we were still learning marching from the seat of our pants! (Anybody who marched in a Jim Jones taught Troop knows EXACTLY what I am talking about!) But the biggest strength that this corps has over Crossmen, Blue Stars, SOA, Pacific Crest, Colts or any other corps that they are competing against, is that they are THE TROOPERS!

• Like 2

I came to your Troopers thread to say how much I truly like this years show.

It is one of my favorites for 2013.

Go Troopers.

What he said.

Saw you in Madison, and you had me three measures into the show. Whatever happens, score-wise, this is one helluva show, and all connected with it should be very proud. To paraphrase what I once heard about another DCI stalwart, the Troopers have discovered their brand again.

Kudos to you all.

• Like 4