DCA I&E Mini Corps judging

Unless things have changed recently - they are credentialed DCA judges who are not working the field contests. They do get some perks, such as show passes and a hotel room for a night or two.

And an extra 50 bucks to boot!

well maybe they want to take it more seriously ..maybe not , I really dont know, I guess that should be their choice as a whole..BUT if it is going to be judged, ,, a judge with a beer shouldnt be judging..AT ALL..especially for those who have put alot into what they are doing AND DO take it serious..whether it should be or no.wait till later...JMO

I'm not condoning it nor blasting it. just saying what I've seen.

tho to be honest, a few I&E acts I've seen made me need a drink

:blink:

• Like 1

Win,place or show, we always took a serious approach. We were out to win, but, we were also out there to ENTERTAIN. The entire show is a waste of time if there is no ENTERTAINMENT.

As far as the OP and the tapes/critique issue: Is there a critique after DCA/DCI finals? I think not. It is the last competitive performance of the year and, as such, gets no critique.

Kudos to all of the mini-corps, serious or not. I am sure you all gave your best and the crowd appreciated it.

Like someone once said, on the mini-corps stage in Scranton,"Have a beeeeah!"

Oh yeah, that was me! :guinesssmilie:

• Like 3

So if xxxxx and xxxxx can make beer a part of their I&E act (those of you that know, know) isnt it ok for their adjudicating brethren to do the same? I say: YES (limit 2). It might be just the tonic to get through 22 snare solos that all sound about the same.

It's not a school function. We're not, like, twelve doing an all-county band audition; there's nothing on the line except bragging rights.

It isnt, like, life or death. Is it?

Remember when it was waaaaay more fun to be a grown up around grown ups? We got to have our own, you know "adult fun" and not have to worry about setting a perfect example for "the kids" but actually let our hair down among friends for a few hours.

My Canadian friends are good examples of havng this concept in their wheelhouse. One of them plays a mean mellophone. :rolleyes:

I'm not condoning it nor blasting it. just saying what I've seen.

tho to be honest, a few I&E acts I've seen made me need a drink

:blink:

So we have possibly let things get out of line. We just need to put them back in line. It wont be as hard as some think it will be.

OK gotta go work with the St Joes Reunion corps, guys I marched with in the 60's and 70's. They dont care about scores, just hanging out and playing some notes and beats!

DA

• Like 1

Really, this is a little confusing. Let's clear things up with a question and answer round shall we?

Q: How much would it cost to give the mini-corps tapes?

A: Probably nothing as the recorders already exist, and creating mp3s is free.

Q: Would adding tapes to mini-corps add to or detract from the legitimacy of the competition?

A: Add, because the judges opinions would be captured and it would allow the corps to hear where they can improve on for the next season.

Q: Would adding tapes to mini-corps inconvenience the judges or the fans in any way?

A: I don't really see how, as long as they weren't yelling into the tape recorders?

Q: I&E performances don't have tapes, why is mini-corps different?

A: Two answers. One, the number of I&E competitors is HUGE, and providing each of them with a tape would be a logistical nightmare. Whereas mini-corps has ~10 competing corps so the logistical impact would be insignificant. Two, the length of a mini-corps performance, and the amount of TIME that a group puts into the planning of a routine is VASTLY different than anything in the I&E competition. To try and wrap up comments to something as long as a mini-corps performance in a few handwritten lines leaves a lot of questions unanswered, and can in no way be specific enough to address any questions members might have.

Q: So, if giving tapes to mini-corps wouldn't cost anything, and the logistical impact would be negligible, what reason is there for not adding tapes to the competition?

A: ?????????????????????

I think tapes/mp3's is not an unreasonable request. As far as rules go the mini's should schedule a meeting as a group and discuss if they even want more structual rules and what those rules should be. The performance area needs to standarized. It seems a little silly to perform with different boundries ever year.

Scott Smith

Edited by doctortelco
  • Like 2

I think tapes/mp3's is not an unreasonable request. As far as rules go the mini's should schedule a meeting as a group and discuss if they even want more structual rules and what those rules should be. The performance area needs to standarized. It seems a little silly to perform with different boundries ever year.

Scott Smith

I think that's part of the charm. The performance space is dictated by the venue. Some years it's small, others large. One of the tenants on which mini-corps is based is adaptability. Again, if you want rules and regulations and all that crap, field a corps in A class.

• Like 1

If you want the real problem with why some Mini corps are dropping out, it may well be the royalties issue. It's real money to pay to people unless you arrange public domain pieces or find guys like Don Ellis who stated in his will that no royalties were to be paid if the music was used for educational purposes.

I'd think if you'd want to talk to the people about it, ask them. I don't know of any DCA Judge that would blow you off if you had questions about your team's performance and what you could to to improve if you asked them. Sit down and talk over a beer.

BITD yes, the judges were DCA panel people who were glad to do it to help out. Yes, the room was free, but helping with Minis and I and E was part of the spirit and fun of the weekend.

But seriously, the cost of royalties aint hay. When people complain about dull original music they don't recognize, thank ASCAP et al for the fees they want now because the recording industry in the internet age isn't raking in the buxx like it used to.

• Like 3

Scott Smith

been there, done that, got a patch,..........