DCA I&E Mini Corps judging

How about treat mini-corps like the alumni spectacular.

Exhibitions only, and charge for attendance...then the performing groups can split the gate.

• Like 2

If I were one of the judges, or the one who assigned them, this would be a tough pill for me to swallow.

Which "CORPS" (plural) got their butt handed to them? Speaking in general for all for the concerns and complaints of the few is not a fair approach.

Mass Brass seems to have a problem and a few members seem to believe that the judges thought they "sucked" or that they were underscored.

So what good is a tape? Truly.

Would taped comments change the outcome or become more fodder for those who already have their mind made up on the situation? My opinion is that a tape supporting their comments ("great job", "aggressive charts" and score/placement) would only be the centerpiece for additional scrutiny and derision if the number on the paper didnt match the member's opinion of themselves - "oh that's BULLSHTI!...this guy doesnt have a CLUE!" - and so forth.

The original post calls out the judges as unaccountable, disinterested, disrespectful, incompetent and with an axe to grind. If only they made tapes, then we could "understand" why they were all these things? Please.

I dont see that as a roundtable conversation with mutual respect and nodding heads among cool and collected persons. Especially if it STARTS by ascribing these attributes to the adjudicators and leaving them in a position to either prove a negative or attempt to sway people whose mind is already made up.

I see the comments and the score and the audience response as plenty of feedback. I also see the feedback from this group as something to be reckoned with as well.

This isnt a plea for understanding. It's sour grapes, just like JAM said. Why didnt we win? Or place higher? "Our scores"...blah blah blah. If between now and DCA 2013 (350 days) you cant get some feedback, through DCA or sending a note to Rich or Bob, then shame on you. I dont know if i was just called a bunch of names in public if I'd be too interested in helping out. Regardless, this has been fermenting over years of "declining scores" so maybe that call or email should have been made long ago.

We've been down this road before. And if the contest part has taken the place of the fun to the point where this kind of negativity surrounds it, it's time to go back down the road towards fun. If that's "not worth the trouble" then that is a decision each of the groups can make on their own.

Someone thinks they "deserved better." I think the judges who volunteered their time and expertise deserved better than to be told to "clean up their act and show a little respect".

It's mini-corps, for God sake....a fun event among family and friends. If this is really what it's come down to then maybe we give in to the weight of negativity and decide not to have it at all.

here's my big question about tapes:

it's finals. what are you going to fix? Unless you do the exact same show next year, what's to improve upon?

• Like 2

And around and around we go.

Sign on the hamster wheel: JUMP OFF HERE!

Done :tongue:

Edited by wishbonecav
  • Like 1

here's my big question about tapes:

it's finals. what are you going to fix? Unless you do the exact same show next year, what's to improve upon?

Very true! The former band director of the band I work with (just retired), and whose band I judged for about 15 years prior to moving into the district, told me that as he was driving home from band champs he would take the tapes and just throw them into the woods to 'celebrate' the end of the competitive season! :tongue:

I watched the videos from DCA. I am OK with how it came out. I also did, and have at every almost DCA, talked to judges after the fact during some point of the weekend. In fact I am judging with one them this weekend.

With no disprespect to the OP intended, I do not want them to tell me how to write my show in order to place higher. With no disrespect to the judges, I am not sure they can do that without understanding the dynamics of the group. Talent level, rehearsal techinque and frequency, and overall capabilities need to be considered in this factor. We know our groups much better than they ever could.

That being said, tapes could allow us to hear the judges reactions at the time they are judging, and vindicate their score. We tried to get this and DCA said no. I guess the answer is no until DCA decides that it is yes.

It has been said over and over on this thread and many other places...mini corps changed seven years ago. It is no longer a competition for first place. Even our best efforts will continue to be futile in this regard. There, I said it.

Donny

Edited by Donny Drum Corps
  • Like 1

no I wasn't in CT......and to be honest, I'm not sure the mini's were the draw.

as for paying customers...well...how many years did Harrisburg run the mini show? i proved my point.

Harrisburg ran the mini show up until their next to last show. Larry brought the mini's in to draw more people for the Sat. Night show and that couldn't save it. Should I be like you and say that nobody would pay to see "Alumni Corps"? Fact of the matter is, Drum Corps in general does not draw like it use to and most people can't afford to go see it. With the line-up that Larry use to put out year in and year out and the Show still couldn't survive....doesn't that tell you anything? Do you think the "Alumni Spectacular" would even exist if it were not sandwiched between the Semi's and the Finals of Championship weekend? My point is, that the majority of people would not pay to see any type of Drum Corps, not just Mini's

• Like 2

There is a small minority, called a "niche", of people that actually would pay to see a drum corps show. While many hours are spent trying to convert the unconverted, some could say the same amount of time is spent taking our familiar, repeat, paying customers for granted.

Sincere question: When's the last time, or at what show did you attend, where someone said "thank you" for coming tonight? Or greeted you with a warm smile (not a "I'm volunteering to take tickets tonight" smile, but a "i'm in charge here and I am so pleased you came" and i recognize you from the last time smile)?

Here is one of mine: Rome, NY at Drums Along the Mohawk. It never fails.

answer #2: Boston. familiar faces all around and a certain glad you could make it friendliness. Yes, in Mass. There, I said it. And the emcee makes it like you are a part of his family. Not an easy trick. Cant live without it.

answer #3: Bridgeport. Where the people in charge said, the heck with it....$5 bucks gets you through the gate, now lets have fun like we stole somethin'.

answer #4: Kingston. No doubt who the hosts are, and the stars take time to mingle. Not too busy thinking of themselves to remember who's contribution hauls the mail.

Cultivate an audience and they will come back year after year after year. I dont think its a coincidence that the Cabs are a little over represented on my list. That whole "for you!" thing is more than hype.

FYI: If the marquee said "Drum & Bugle Corps Alumni Show Starring: Hawthorne Caballeros, Bayonne Bridgemen, Connecticut Hurricanes, Boston Crusaders, Park City Pride, New York Skyliners and Toronto Optimists," call me crazy, but that would be a pretty compelling reason for many of our fans to part with $15. If you held it in Bridgeport or any of these places, I bet the fanny-in-seat count would be about the same. (until the Cabs did Flamenco Cha Cha, then, of course, the fanny in seat count would be zero). :cool:

If the customer is jazzed, then we/you/the corps/dca did their job. Everything else is second layer stuff. Important? Trivial? that can all be debated. But the customer either bought it, connected, got excited in some strong enough way to come back again, or they didnt.

And all the lineups in the world cant substitute for making someone - especially the paying customer - feel important, valued and as if they came first.

They can tell when they did. And they can tell when they didnt.

How do we reach them in a personal way? Send the corps up from retreat to shake hands and say thank you? It would be unforgettable. Host corps or all of them, who really cares! Get them up there. Up in the stands. Thank you. Please come again next year. Impromptu concert in the stands. All that same-old, same-old crap be danmed. Throw OUT the retreat. Kick the chair. Do something DIFFERENT.

Stop fighting amongst yourselves and look up. There's an audience there that doesnt care about this drama...they just want their money's worth. If they stopped showing up...ITS NOT THEIR FAULT.

Harrisburg ran the mini show up until their next to last show. Larry brought the mini's in to draw more people for the Sat. Night show and that couldn't save it. Should I be like you and say that nobody would pay to see "Alumni Corps"? Fact of the matter is, Drum Corps in general does not draw like it use to and most people can't afford to go see it. With the line-up that Larry use to put out year in and year out and the Show still couldn't survive....doesn't that tell you anything? Do you think the "Alumni Spectacular" would even exist if it were not sandwiched between the Semi's and the Finals of Championship weekend? My point is, that the majority of people would not pay to see any type of Drum Corps, not just Mini's

Edited by wishbonecav

Serenade couldn't fill the 2800 seat Forum. Also, it became more expensive to rent, even though it was obvious to me that the Commonwealth of PA wasn't putting money back into the place to keep it in the shape it was many years ago.

However, Hanover had SRO at York Suburban with their indoor concert, 1100+ person turnout, and a very receptive audience. Things seem to be all right for now at Hanover's venue. Would I like an I and E contest linked to that? Sure. I'd put a solo together for fun. Emphasis on fun where I'm concerned. Let the chips fall where they may. It takes a lot or time and organization to do it as well as some money, though.

Reading's indoor concert seems to be well attended enough to make money for the corps, though there was room for more people.

The problem for many of us who might have been interested in the I and E at Serenade-- I was too busy preparing for my own performance that evening and trying to get some rest and eat. I do Alumni concerts on no more than 4 hours sleep, and I burn the candle on both ends for those performances on my part. I don't want to let the fans or corps down.

Donny and I are in line on this-- ASK the panel personally. Again- I can think of no one working now for DCA who wouldn't wish to converse with you about the performance.

Very true! The former band director of the band I work with (just retired), and whose band I judged for about 15 years prior to moving into the district, told me that as he was driving home from band champs he would take the tapes and just throw them into the woods to 'celebrate' the end of the competitive season! :tongue:

we always listened to hear what never quite got there...it made a nice drinking game